Thread: cog/cassette

Trail Junkie

cog/cassette

I am building my first SS, and I really don't know what ring size I should start with. I would like to experiment with different ring sizes before I go out and buy anything. I have a brand new SRAM PG-860 cassette that I don't mind tearing apart to try out the 16T, 18T, and 21T. The cassette is brand new, Chro-mo steel and will not see any action ever otherwise. I don't plan on running the gears super hard, but more or less just to see how it feels. Any insight? Thanks in advanced!

-J
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

Out spokin'
    Are you calling cogs rings? Chainring = crank, cog = hub.

What size ring do you plan to run? That would help us recommend a cog size. But even then, fitness, terrain, riding style & trail conditions enter the picture to such a degree that it's hard to make a specific recommendation. Personally this time of year (epic mud, dark, short, cold days) I'm employing a 30x20 gear on my 29er. Unfortunately the hills are just as steep as in summer.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Don't. Having a chain skip on you sucks. Just buy cheap, stamped steel cogs instead.

Trail Junkie
    I live in S. Florida so its flat with short steep climbs. I am a fairly strong rider (mid pack XC-1). I am shooting for a 34T chainring and probably a 16,17,18 cog. On my geared bike (2x10) I am typically running 38/20...I don't shift that much, and that is my normal gear that I am spinning in.

The chain skipping was my concern. I wasn't sure if I could turn it backwards and be fine for a trial solution.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

Out spokin'
    38x20 = 55 gear inches
    34x18 = 54.8 gear inches
    (@29" wheel)

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver
    The chain skipping was my concern. I wasn't sure if I could turn it backwards and be fine for a trial solution.
    Again, don't risk it. Stamped cogs are only a couple bucks each. After your chain skips on a climb and you slam your nuts into the stem, or your knee into your bar, wouldn't you happily pay a couple bucks for that pain to go away?

Apr 2007
    26 or 29 wheels?

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Again, don't risk it. Stamped cogs are only a couple bucks each. After your chain skips on a climb and you slam your nuts into the stem, or your knee into your bar, wouldn't you happily pay a couple bucks for that pain to go away?
    depends on what you're into i guess. I'm sure some people pay good money to get their nuts slammed. Personally, i'm with you though.

local trails rider
    Someone will pay you more for that cassette, if you don't need it, than it costs to buy a handful of cheap cogs to try.

Once you know what gearing you like, get some wide base cogs. I hear ISuckAtRiding makes pretty nice ones. I've been using the steel wide base cogs from On-One.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    I would recomend starting with a 34/22 on a 29er then move to a 34/20. It is easy to build the strength after you get used to the body position but spinning is ok for the first few rides. That is if your rides are around even on climbing (50 up%, 50% down).
    It is a good gear to start with but you will quickly move to the 34/20 and love it. If your on a 26" use 34/20 then 34/18.
    Oh go get a few Surly gogs, there inexpensive and last. When I started I bought a 22,20,19 and 18 on y 29er. I have used them all depending on where I was riding but stuck with the 34/20 mostly.
    Pedal Dammit!

Trail Junkie
    Thx Spart! While I was on my ride this morning, I was thinking about it and remembered the Sheldon Brown gear calculator. I think I was inevitably come to that solution, so thx for saving me some time!
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

Trail Junkie
    There is a 7mi. loop that I normally do. Its technical singletrack, but not overly technical accept in the back where there are some small climbs 40-80ft. I forced myself on the second lap to only use one gear. It turned out to be 38/18 and I turned that with relative ease, and actually put up one of my best lap times in the process. I can only see it being easier with a hardtail SS being that I project it to be sub 20lb.

I am currently on a Santa Cruz Tallboy w/ SRAM 2x10 38/24 and 11-36 cassette, and the bike weights 24.5lb. I was comfortably spinning most of the trail at about 13.5-15mph, and about 19.5mph when I really winded up, but by then I was running out of gear. Ofcourse it was slower climbing and I had to slow down for twisty sections..but in the end, all it did was make me excited to get my SS!

I think what I am going to have do is start out with the gears based on that, and maybe 2 teeth higher
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    May 2005
    dubdryver,
    I've got a 21t and 18t you can borrow.....I'm in Jupiter most of the time, but every other week I'm in the Grove for a couple of days
    Currently ride 32 x 17t and have a 16t to try once I get a bit stronger.

Trail Junkie
    Surfdog, that would be kick butt! I would definitely take you up on that (18T). I just got done doing a little work on the Sheldon Brown website, and this is the results that I came up with based on gear inches. I am guessing, based on which trail I was riding down here, it would be a 16 to 20. Just by comparison, this is what I was spinning today 6.9mi @ 31:38..definitely far from pro but not that slow. I highlighted the gear I was spinning today, and the comparable SS gear inch of what it would aquate to.

In the end, I should have used my head and just done the research myself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cog/cassette-gearcalcss.jpg  

Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I think the PM's aren't always working on this site, so shoot me an email when/if you want to try the 18t
    surfdog93 at hotmail dot com.
    I'm still pretty new to SS and cycling in general, but making up for lost time by riding 4 days / week, sometimes more and always pushing to go faster.

Members who have read this thread: 0