Thread: Which cog?

Ans
    mtbr member

Which cog?

I'm looking for cogs tu put on my OnOne for riding it SS
    I have the choice between Surly, KickAss, WTB
    I'm quit heavy 240/250 lb
    So which one?
    Last edited by Ans; 11-17-2007 at 08:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Surly is good. Descent durability. They lasst longer if your chain is not worn too.

Out spokin'
    Ah, the dreaded Witch Cog... perveyor of all things wicked. Be very careful in choosing your Witch Cog as if you choose the wrong one, she will cast a spell on your every ride. If you choose a powerful Witch Cog, I recommend you balance her with a Warlock Chainring.

You've been warned!

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Ans
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Ah, the dreaded Witch Cog... perveyor of all things wicked. Be very careful in choosing your Witch Cog as if you choose the wrong one, she will cast a spell on your every ride. If you choose a powerful Witch Cog, I recommend you balance her with a Warlock Chainring.

You've been warned!

--Sparty
    done

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus

You've been warned!

--Sparty
    That's "which" cog ? you moron, not "witch" . See what that 29er has done to you.

Brad
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    That's "which" cog ? you moron, not "witch" . See what that 29er has done to you.

Brad
    Dear Brad,

Please go back in time and read the OP's post before he edited it.

Sincerely,
    Your friend Sparty

disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Chris King Stainless

Karma Vampire

Idea! Kick A$$ - quid pro quo

Ans,
    I started with a 18T Chris King aluminum cog that came with the SS hub. After less than 10 rides, I wanted a 16T to achieve a 2:1 ratio. It is fairly flat where I live. Based primarily on a DirtRagMag story/review I went with an Aluminum Kick A$S cog. I use it in conjunction with with a 29er, SRAM PC1 chain, Salsa aluminum non-ramped front ring, Endless Bike Company's Fibonacci Spacer kit, Fun Bolts& Paragon style sliders. I have yet to have any issues with this setup (knock on wood). It has held up just fine in over two years of service. I don't know if the freewheel is marred due to the cog, but I suspect that would be normal. I have considered changing to a SRAM 8-speed chain to aid in cleaning and to lighten the load. I weigh 87 kg with gear.

-Ride On!
    29Again

p.s. I apologize for our lack of hospitality on your homonyms mix up.

p.s.2 OK, quid pro quo time, Ans, can you send me a private message regarding your 29er sized wheel bag? I have looked and looked with no luck. My girlfriend was going to have a seamstress make one for me as a Christmas gift. Perhaps we can work out a trade for a ever so slightly used CK cog??

mtbr member
    I would spend a little more over a surly and get a chris king. I've had a surly cog and had issues with it. No matter what chain i used, it kept skipping. The people at surly told me about it being because i had no tensioner. The new surly cogs look different than mine from 2 years ago so that problem is probably solved. A plus on the surly is that they are damn beefy.

Out spokin'

Hear, hear

Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    Chris King Stainless
    Of the wide-base cogs designed to work with aluminum freehub bodies, I've purchased King cogs (both steel and aluminum), Boone ti cogs, Endless "Kick-Ass" aluminum cogs and Surly steel cogs. Plus I have a Spicer Granny Cog Adapter. By far, my favorite is the Chris King stainless steel cog.

Interestingly, the Chris King aluminum cog was by far the worst. It wore out in 3 rides. The Endless "Kick-Ass" cog lasted a little less than 2 months. I sold the Boone after a couple rides because it was no better than a King steel cog and I felt like I had too much $$ and vanity invested in it. My 16, 17, 18, 19 & 20t King stainless cogs just keep going and going...

Moral: stay away from aluminum. When your bike only has one gear on it, that gear gets used a lot. Steel wears like... well, like steel.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    i've never had any problems with my endless kick ass cog(s) i have a 20 and a 15, i don't switch often, but i've used the 15 quite a bit and it's held up fine and it weighs next to nothing. if ultimate durability is your main concern i've had plenty of customers ride surly cogs for a long ass time, if light weight is a concern alu or ti cogs are a good way to go.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

Members who have read this thread: 0