coaster hub- Mtbr.com

Thread: coaster hub

Pawned
    Jan 2009

coaster hub

hey guys, been awhile between posts. just aquired a frame that requires a coaster hub for the rear wheel so I seem to have that sorted but the bottom bracket requires the three piece american setup. The casing is around 68mm long (2"21/32') long and 51mm or 2" wide internally. I need a bracket but what size

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    You need an "American" botom bracket, or an "American" adaptor to use a euro BB.

Tom P.

Pawned
    Jan 2009
    The guys at the LBS said that today but searching on the net for said product is confusing and quality products are brands that I know nothing of. Coming from Australia we seem to be sheltered from a wide variety of brands, which is hard.
    The other road was to get a EBB shell but I have horizontal dropouts so that was not an issue. I see the main problem will be getting a straight chain line from whatever product I purchase.

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    A BMX BB works really well with American BB frames:
    Profile_BB.jpg
    This BB uses the pictured spacers to dial-in the chainline.

Your ultimate choice of BB will also depend on the cranks you intend to use. I'm not saying you need to use BMX cranks, but it may be a simple and inexpensive solution, although you could also spend upwards of US$200 for a BMX crank/BB.

BMX is still big in Oz, isn't it? Try to find a BMX shop...

Tom P.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Briggsy76
    The guys at the LBS said that today but searching on the net for said product is confusing and quality products are brands that I know nothing of. Coming from Australia we seem to be sheltered from a wide variety of brands, which is hard...
    Funnily enough Australia is where I sourced mine. Try the guys at Edge Cycles in Cairns - I think ask for Victor/Vincent?
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Pawned
    Jan 2009
    There is a dedicated BMX shop nearby and I have friend who has connections through anouther shop that may beable to help. the sealed bearings look the goods.

Pawned
    Jan 2009
    The bottom bracket issue is now killing me and findind a good quality hub is hard too. A local shop has told me that adaping the BB from US to the Euro is a good idea. ( and i like it) that means I can use the truvative crank and BB that I am fond of. The length of the BB is now an issue to keep a straight chainline. A 3 speed hub is out of the question because the dropouts are 110mm apart and the thinnest hub I have seen is 118mm. I know I can manipulate the frame a little but would prefer not too.
    Thinking about it, if I get the hub and attach it to the frame then I attach the BB adapter then I can remove the current BB and crank frrom the other SS and put them on the frame I can measure the distance and know.
    Thoughts people Please I am tired of condesending Bikeshop staff. Get this, I was told yesterday that an American 3 piece BB did not exist. Funny hugh. (yoda voice) Walk out of shop I did.

mtbr member
    If the frame is steel, 8mm is nothing. Spread away.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Members who have read this thread: 0