Coaster Brake MTB...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Coaster Brake MTB...

Yes please.

Been riding Singlespeeds for a hundred years. Sometimes Fixie MTB to change-it-up. Sometimes Coaster Brake MTB. Why? Because you learn something new and it makes riding bike more fun than it was yesterday. Don't die wondering.

Currently I've been riding this whip on everything and it's absolutely made me fall in love with cycling all over again.

Parts Bin Special. Nothing crazy, just a bike. A fun-as-hell bike.

Coaster Brake MTB...-img_1161.jpg

Anyone else out there enjoying this version of the Singlespeed MTB? If so, post up!

-Burnsey

mtbr member
    I might be up for something like that at some point. I owned a Nankai freecoaster hub on my bmx bike for some time and got familiar with maintaining it. it's very similar to a coaster hub.

what hub do you use that's reliable? most of the coaster hubs I have used are BMX standard 110mm OLD, so would I need to find a frame what would fit such a narrow hub?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Some flatter trails may be ok for that, but I wouldn't want to ride that around here.

1- No control on the steep sections/safety issue.
    2- Trail damage.

mtbr member
    An Oddity frame for a parts bin special? I wish I had that kind of parts bin!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    What kind of rear hub is that?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I really need something like this for a race in May. All race bikes have to be single speed and coaster braked. Should be fun. Suspension is permitted.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeStroganoff View Post
    What kind of rear hub is that?
    I second this. I was looking at building up a freecoaster bike for a while but never could find what was considered a reliable freecoaster hub in 135.

mtbr member
    I always wanted the slowest engagement possible on my freecoaster so I modded my hub. It should be just as easy to mod a coaster for super fast engagement if one wanted such a thing.

I think the lack of control would be part of the fun and challenge, but it might just be impractical. I would want a front brake.

mtbr member
    Coaster brake def makes you learn to setup better for the shyte.

Coaster Brake MTB...-calaverarock_zps849fca87.jpg
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    My first bike was a 1981 Mongoose Minigoose with a coaster brake. I never raced BMX; rather, we lived in the mountains so it was rutted jeep roads, singletrack made by outlaw dirtbike riders, dirt jumps; we were mountain biking! Even though it wasn't called that back then. Now in my 40's I seem to be on some inner quest to recapture my youth through biking. This has me gravitating back to my beginning, riding rigid SS. Could a coaster brake be next?

Really though, I hated that thing. I was so jealous of my friends with nicer bikes that had freewheels and hand brakes. And I still hate that coaster brake to this day. I believe it taught me to coast with my strong foot back (for braking). Now I sometimes feel limited by that. It's better to have your strong foot forward for pedal kicks and to have that additional torque on tap

This is a very cool thing you guys are doing. Getting back to the roots. I'm sure there are a lot of hoots and smiles at your meet ups. Hunting down the parts for those builds has to be a lot of fun, too. Cheap thrills!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Coaster Brake MTB...-100_0097.jpgCoaster Brake MTB...-100_0098.jpg
    Just a few coaster bikes I used in the last few years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coaster Brake MTB...-100_0087.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Once more, what hubs are you using?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yes. There is a lack of details given here.

Are these custom made hubs? Off the shelf coaster brake hubs designed for hard off-road use?

Maybe they just used an old walmart beach cruiser hub...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Off the shelf hubs. Not designed for any kind of use. You half to make it work for your needs. On the fat bike I have spacers to make it work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    A quick google search reveals that many hubs exist (and they are pretty cheap too). But, most only support 120mm spacing and most seem to be 2 or 3 speed.

I guess you'd need to disassemble the hub, add spacers and possibly disable the other gears (to make it a singlespeed).

I saw one that auto-shifts between two gears. That would be annoying!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I've heard a sturmey archer s1c works well. I follow these guys on Instagram, and i think they use shimano cb-e110 hubs with a custom heatsink.
    Would love to try a coaster brake, but it would just be too much skidding that would wear down the trail.

mtbr member
    The one on mine is a KT heavy duty. Stay away from stock shimano. Have a Velosteel waiting for next build and a primr Morrow blackout '45, probably the heaviest duty you'll find and why mt tam guys ran them.
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Coaster Brake MTB...

Recently finished putting this together:
    Felt Burner 29
    Bontrager Switchblade fork
    New paint job
    Chromag seat and bars
    RaceFace stem
    Sturmey Archer two speed rear hub
    Vittoria 29 x 2.4 tires

Plan was to use this for commuting occasionally and as a bar bike, but its a blast! Looking forward to things drying up to try it on some trails.

PS. Love that Oddity Klunker!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yay, get more people into coaster brake mtb's! I do love mine:
    Coaster Brake MTB...-ahr0chm6ly9mc3rhdgljms5tdgitbmv3cy5kzs92my8ymi8ymju5lziyntkznzmtntbvmtj3yzrymzi2lwltz3azotc2lw9y.jpg
    Coaster Brake MTB...-ahr0chm6ly9mc3rhdgljms5tdgitbmv3cy5kzs92my8ymi8ymjazlziymdmwmjatzjlrcziwbwhhmjlklwrzy2ywodkwlw9y.jpg

The Transition Klunker has a Hi-Top hubshell with Shimano CB110 guts, the Rockhopper has a re-spacered Shimano CB110. I converted both to loose ball bearings (removed the cages and added balls, really helps with the wear).

mtbr member
    Im really bummed I missed out on the Transition Klunker. Looks awesome!

mtbr member
    Thanks! It is a super nice bike, although definitely made for pointing downhill, for xc use it's quite a handful. But sometimes that adds to the fun...
    cheers!

regarding trail damage: I think on most fireroads that don't see too much traffic, it is ok to skid around a bit, and on trails the trick is to moderately apply the brake, be fast and trust your front tire.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Hella Brave Coaster Brake Wheel — MONē

Mone will get you there...

mtbr member
    All the Shimano cb110 hubs have been made by KT HiStop for quite some time now only difference in the ones I've torn apart has been in the hub shell and brake arm. The guts are interchangeable but the whole assembly is undersized for off road use. The KT HD hub is a better place to start. Different length axles from Wheels mfg and spacers easy to get to create different spacings.
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Assembled some of my collection for comparison left to right, Shimano CB110 , KT HiStop branded 110 version, KT HD hub, Velosteel, and finally the beast AKA Morrow;

Coaster Brake MTB...-hubs.jpg

Hadn't looked in awhile but the KT branded version of the 110 has a heavier duty shell(flanges thicker and wider) and brake arm, note also the spacers this KT was built up for a 135mm spacing on a GT Dynoglide 29er Klunker(below) I built up some years ago(brake arm bent further out also). Also note KT HD slightly larger shell and guts, Velosteel is solid but have never built it up. Morrow in NIB shape 1945 WWII blackout model needs cap for oil hole. The brake pads and action in the Morrow dwarf any of the others.

Coaster Brake MTB...-0515e8ba.jpg
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    Hadn't looked in awhile but the KT branded version of the 110 has a heavier duty shell(flanges thicker and wider) and brake arm, note also the spacers this KT was built up for a 135mm spacing on a GT Dynoglide 29er Klunker(below)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0515e8ba.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	1198348

OOOOOh!! I'd like to know more about that frame and what you did to get the 29" wheel in there? I did a quick search looks like most were 26" or a few 24x3"...
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

FATTrailer for the kiddo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rides Bikes View Post
    OOOOOh!! I'd like to know more about that frame and what you did to get the 29" wheel in there? I did a quick search looks like most were 26" or a few 24x3"...
    Yeah, they were not 29ers for sure. I had the axle all the way back in the basically track forks on the frame. The chainstay was something like 22" and took 2 chains spliced together to complete. The biggest problem was the head angle about 68 deg but fork only 26mm or so offset very floppy but ok at speed. Tire barely fit in fork as well. Still have the frame around but bike is torn apart.
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by LosAlamos View Post
    This...

Otherwise just get a crappy coaster hub and ride it till it breaks. It's a coaster brake bike. I'm not getting into details. Explore things. Way too many opinions on the interwebs to trust anyway. They're all junk, but hella fun to ride. I'm on my third driver in a year. It is what it is. Techy info available from Coasterculture.com if your dying to know one of the versions out there that has been known to work p-good. The conversion AND heatsink Mone offers is also the bomb. Heatsink is key to prevent brake fade. .Cheers.

mtbr member

Coaster Brake Krampus

Coaster Brake MTB...-dscf1679.jpg
    Coaster Brake MTB...-dscf1684.jpg
    cheers!
    Coaster Brake MTB...-dscf1688.jpg

Downcountry AF
    ^ I just saw that in another thread, Sweet!!

I'm curious what the inspiration was for the coaster brake setup? Adam Sklar's personal bike by any chance?

That's got to be so hard to ride off road. I love the challenging aspect (in theory) but really I just think it would be terrifying in reality.

Pretty cool though. Maybe if I had more open/flowy trails here?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Thanks!

yes, the recent appearances of big-wheeled cruisers (Oddity, Sklar, Mon) were inspirations definitely, but I'm riding coaster braked MTBs since a while and thought that the grip and rolling capabilities of the Krampus were a solid base for a conversion.
    And it is!

The terrain here is definitely more open/flowy, but more importantly, the woods are quite empty, in steep/loose or crowded terrain it would be frightening and probably not the best idea...

cheers!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by OddBurnsey View Post
    Yes please.

Been riding Singlespeeds for a hundred years. Sometimes Fixie MTB to change-it-up. Sometimes Coaster Brake MTB. Why? Because you learn something new and it makes riding bike more fun than it was yesterday. Don't die wondering.

Currently I've been riding this whip on everything and it's absolutely made me fall in love with cycling all over again.

Parts Bin Special. Nothing crazy, just a bike. A fun-as-hell bike.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1161.jpg 
Views:	851 
Size:	167.7 KB 
ID:	1176094

Anyone else out there enjoying this version of the Singlespeed MTB? If so, post up!

-Burnsey
    May I ask what the heck is on your seat post?