Coaster Brake Cassette idea- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Coaster Brake Cassette idea

Somebuddy needs to design and manufacture one. Maybe Forward Components would like to take a stab at this? That way you can still use your existing or preferred hub and still run you preferred gear and not have rim or disc brakes for a nice clean look Oh and no more having to adjust for the brakes in a horizontal dropout frame.

If some one does manufacture it, I'd be happy to work on it's aesthetics and/or design for marketing. I'd be willing to donate my time for free I'm a graphic designer and would be more than happy to contribute to a project like this!

Cheers,
    Ray

mtbr member
    I'm not sure I really understand exactly how this would work. Are you talking about a cassette hub or a freewheel hub? There wouldn't be anyway to do that on a cassette hub because backwards pressure on the freehub disengages the drive mechanism, hence the ability to coast. A standard wheelhub would not work with this either because backwards pressure would unscrew the freewheel. You would have to use a fixie hub with a lockring that prevents unscrewing.

Functionally I don't think I would want it either... I find ratcheting my pedals (repeatedly backpedaling then cranking forward in small amounts) to be an important tool in riding tricky technical sections. (I enjoy riding fixed also, which obviously doesn't allow that either, but I'm in a whole different mindset when I attempt fixed offroad). Then again, I shouldn't knock it unless I've tried it

master blaster
    coaster brake hubs cannot handle alot of heavy duty riding and im sure creating a coaster brake hub with 3-5 speeds is quite possible. but is it practical?....no.
    the driver would have a direct body with your mixture of cogs.

to adress boomn, you can coast with a coaster brake hub(beach cruiser) there is that bit of slack between the pedal engagement and the brake. you are correct that it would suck thought technical corners and such(it would be similar to riding chainless in a way) and with a fixed gear hub you have the front to back trackstand balance point that gives an advantage in those corners.

only way i could see it being any bit practical would be on a 5 spd beach cruiser is the hubs were cheap to make which isnt likely compared to a freewheel 5/6/7spd hub.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by veloreality
    to adress boomn, you can coast with a coaster brake hub(beach cruiser) there is that bit of slack between the pedal engagement and the brake. you are correct that it would suck thought technical corners and such(it would be similar to riding chainless in a way) and with a fixed gear hub you have the front to back trackstand balance point that gives an advantage in those corners.
    I know, I had a couple of coaster brake bikes growing up, including a sweet one with a banana seat That bit of gray room before the brake engages is not enough to get the degrees of rotation I like to effectively use ratcheting as a tool, and then you risk engaging the brake right when you are trying to create a burst of power. Anyway, I guess that is kinda nit-picky to go after that one issue

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I was thinking freewheel hub. I thought it would be more for cruising. But maybe not so good as you said for technical stuff. I ride my ss as a cruiser for fun so that was my intention for the idea

master blaster
    a freewheel hub that has a coaster break = not possible.
    you cant be able to freely pedal backwards as you would with a freewheel and yet have a coaster brake. it doesnt even make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by veloreality
    a freewheel hub that has a coaster break = not possible.
    you cant be able to freely pedal backwards as you would with a freewheel and yet have a coaster brake. it doesnt even make sense.
    freewheeling just means that you don't have to keep pedaling forwards when the bike is going forwards, in other words it just means you can coast. It doesn't necessarily mean anything about backpedaling. This is already what every coaster brake hub is

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I use to ride my cook bro with a 2speed bendix kick back mtbing. Takes a little xtra thinking but is fun

mtbr member

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I wanna do skids with my CK hub

Members who have read this thread: 0