clipless or platform- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016

clipless or platform

what is the preferred pedal choice for all you ss riders out there?

typically i ride clipless on my geared full suspy but my ss hardtail has platforms. is this similar to your pedal choice?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I always run clipless. I feel like I get more benefit from them on a ss than on my geared bike. When you're really cranking to get up a steep, you can pull up on the pedal to give you that extra little bit of power.

mtbr member
    I prefer clipless on rigid bikes. Much easier to stay on the bike on rough downhills, and easier to keep pedaling through rough trails at higher cadences.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Crank Brothers Acid 1 or Candy (new style aluminum, not the plastic junk).
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

eri
    mtbr member
    I've been riding spd since the first PD737. 30 years? I am too old and set in my ways to switch to those new fangled flats.

I took a class last year that required flats, I got them and rode them, but couldn't wait to get back in my spds.

I replaced my spd pedals this year (the old m970 were actually worn out.) The new ones seem to allow more foot rotation, and I use that rotation lots more on the singlespeed since my body is all over the place.

mtbr member
    Good platforms with 5.10 low impacts, stick like glue, and on the rare occasion you need to HAB way better to walk in.

mtbr member
    I like flats and 510s, too. Used clipless for years, but prefer the whole shoe/pedal interface from flats. I have two pairs of 510s for casual to trail rides.

WillWorkForTrail
    Flats on both my mountain bikes these days, though I'd put clipless on the SS pretty quick if I needed a little extra grunt somewhere.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Clipless.
    Either XTR Race or XT Trail depending on the circumstances.
    The road bike has Time X-Presso's but if they get any more slop in the bearings, they'll get replaced with some XTR Race pedals too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Flats on my squishy bike, but there's no way I'd give up my clipless pedals on the SS!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Nowadays, I ride flats as a general rule. I rode with old-style clip pedals on my road bikes when I was younger, and I get what that gives me. Once I got on mountain bikes, though, I saw clip/clipless pedals as counterintuitive, especially when the terrain gets more technical. I like to be able to bail off the pedals when I need to, or stick a leg out for a quick balance check. I don't feel I need the upward motion in my pedal stroke on a mountain bike. I see it as trading a little efficiency for more safety.

I got a new SS bike recently. The old owner had clip pedals on it, without the straps. I took those off and chucked them before my first ride on it.

Just my personal preference. I see no reason to go with anything but flats on a mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I switched to flats and SS at the same time. Personally, I don't notice any different in efficiency, but walking up hills is a LOT easier.

mtbr member
    Clipped in the beginning, clipless for 20 years (spd on road and dirt), currently Crank Bros 50/50 flats with 510s on everything. The flats are vastly improved and the soft compliant, yet stiff soled shoes really hook you to the bike. On a single speed, standing, it feels like clipless. Personally better on my knees! When you have to bail out, much better on flats.
    Clipless is also awesome as you don't leave the bike unless you want to. Really easy to bunny hop and lift the bike while moving.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Egg Beaters for me. I feel much more in control with them versus flats.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    OP, I'm the opposite. Clipless for my rigid SS and flats for my full squish.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    XTR and XT trails on all my bikes.Trails are clipless with extra pressure points. Especially for my rigids. My big bike has the older Shimano M640. I just think Shimano does it right with SPD's and I've gotten really used to them. I can see how flats would be better for some. I think it really depends on your riding style.
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Clipless for me, at least on my SS. I prefer platforms for trials/freeride/muni, but they don't work well on a SS when you're grinding up a long hill seated at 40 rpm and trying to pedal in circles, or for quick high-rpm bursts to keep up with geared bikes in the flats. My $.02.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I prefer clipless on rigid bikes. Much easier to stay on the bike on rough downhills, and easier to keep pedaling through rough trails at higher cadences.
    Agreed. And climbing our punchy steeps on a SS takes all the horse power, and tricks, I can muster - which is easier clipped in.

I vote we stop saying clipless. Its inaccurate and misleading. I know it came from the toe-clip days, but they never had clips. They had straps. Never made sense to me.

Can we just say "clipped in" ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I currently have 2 bikes--SS rigid 29'r MTB, and a SS Cross bike setup for gravel, etc. I ride flats and 510's on both. Only briefly tried clipless a few years back--just didn't dig it--I like to move my feet around, etc. With good pedals and the 510s my feet feel plenty stuck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I ride clipless on both my singlespeeds, Crank Brothers Candy.

mtbr member
    I use clipless on my rigid SS. I tried flats a couple of times, but found my feet bounced off the pedals occasionally when things got rough. I use flats on my FS and fat bikes.

The perfessor
    - clipless for my rigid SS but I do swap 'em to flats if I go on vacation with the wife (beach trips don't require any wicked pedaling)........
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL
    Paketa Magnesium Road Bike

Yeet so hard
    Clipless. When you are on a techy steep grade, almost stalled and have to ratchet pedal, you will appreciate it.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF
    Smash

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I'm riding XTRs. I can't imagine riding on flat pedals again. I was on Egg Beaters for over a year and went back to the PD-959.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

mtbr member
    How about both! Really though, I made these for my trail bike and the flat side get's used WAY less on the rigid SS. I agree with those who have said that on the rigid bike it's hard to stay planted on rough trails without being clipped in. These pedals may be goofy AF but it has worked very well for me. Shoes are Giro Terraduro.

clipless or platform-3.jpgclipless or platform-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottParsley View Post
    How about both! Really though, I made these for my trail bike and the flat side get's used WAY less on the rigid SS. I agree with those who have said that on the rigid bike it's hard to stay planted on rough trails without being clipped in. These pedals may be goofy AF but it has worked very well for me. Shoes are Giro Terraduro.
    A good modern set of flats and 5.10s and you stay planted, I think a lot of people making the comment probably haven't tried the combo. Using old style flats and regular biking shoes or even hiking/running shoes sucks and will let you come loose. Also climbing steeps is no problem at all and ratcheting thru steep chunk also not an issue. I have used the combo for years on both a GT Peace 9R rigid and presently on a ROS9 plus rigid. Now rigid fixie MTB, yeah SPD by all means.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    I vote we stop saying clipless. Its inaccurate and misleading. I know it came from the toe-clip days, but they never had clips. They had straps. Never made sense to me.

Can we just say "clipped in" ?
    Fully agree on this point. Intuitively, modern binding-style pedals and eggbeaters seem to me to be clips, not the opposite.

Similarly, I don't get how bikes with more than gear are typically called 'geared' bikes--but that's another topic.

mtbr member
    It has been a long while but I had a lot of issues trying to run the flip flop (SPD vs Flat) pedals. I always seemed to be on the wrong side of the pedal when I needed them most. SPD shoes on the flat side were really problematic. SPD shoes on the cleat side not so good either.

I agree, "A good modern set of flats and 5.10s and you stay planted!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    They did have toe clips though, at least that's what they called them for the last 100 years or so. Coming from that era and graduating to "clipless" that terminology always made perfect sense to me.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have been a flats rider for years but after being off the trails for a year, not by choice, it decided to start fresh clipped in. After my first ride so far so good. I will keep at it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    They did have toe clips though, at least that's what they called them for the last 100 years or so. Coming from that era and graduating to "clipless" that terminology always made perfect sense to me.
    Lol this is a good way to date yourself.

I agree with you, it makes sense to me because I also rode in that era where we all used "(toe) clips and straps."

To stay on topic, SPD M-520 pedals are an incredible value. If I were blindfolded I wouldn't be able to tell a performance difference from XT; there is a minimal weight difference, and they are bullet proof.

I'm in the old skool camp that subscribes to the theory of clipless for xc, clipless with platform for enduro, and flats for dh/park etc.

Sent using Tapatalk