clipless pedal recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2014

clipless pedal recommendations

I am thinking of getting my first set of clipless pedals and shoes for my gravel SS and I want something that I can run errands on with regular shoes without getting in my full biking dress just for a trip 4 blocks to the store. Thats mainly the reason I have hesitated on clipless is because there are just times I ride around town in street clothes and regular shoes. So I have a question about these 2 pedals. I like the M530s simply because they have clips on both sides but I am not sure either side will give sufficient pedal traction like the M324s in the second link. If you have any other recommendations feel free to chime in but I want to stay on the cheap side for my first set.

Shimano PD M530 SLX Trail Clipless Pedal > Components > Drivetrain, Brakes and Pedals > Clipless Pedals | Jenson USA

Shimano PD-M324 Pedals > Components > Drivetrain, Brakes and Pedals > Clipless Pedals | Jenson USA

The traction on the platform side of dual use pedals is always an issue. Most aren't great. I'm pretty excited for the new Crank Bros Double Shots but they too went with nubs on the platform side rather than pins. Drill some holes and insert some pins and I think you've got something.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    The traction on the platform side of dual use pedals is always an issue. Most aren't great. I'm pretty excited for the new Crank Bros Double Shots but they too went with nubs on the platform side rather than pins. Drill some holes and insert some pins and I think you've got something.
    I am not worried about death defying traction as the times I will jump on my bike with regular clothes will just be light rides around town. I won't be doing anything severe. For my longer rides I will use the cleats. So I guess i am not expecting traction like my Saints on my 510s. I just don't want my foot to slip off if it is wet is all. The 530s look like they could be slick with a wet foot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by iowamtb View Post
    I am not worried about death defying traction as the times I will jump on my bike with regular clothes will just be light rides around town. I won't be doing anything severe. For my longer rides I will use the cleats. So I guess i am not expecting traction like my Saints on my 510s. I just don't want my foot to slip off if it is wet is all. The 530s look like they could be slick with a wet foot.
    I think the 530s will be fine for what ypu are looking for. I have the XTR version (same cage design), and Jump on all the time in flip flops or running shoes to ride with my kids and it is fine for casual use. Great pedals.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    I think the 530s will be fine for what ypu are looking for. I have the XTR version (same cage design), and Jump on all the time in flip flops or running shoes to ride with my kids and it is fine for casual use. Great pedals.
    Thank you. I was hoping to hear an actual experience. I will take your word for it. I just didn't want something that my feet were going to keep slipping off of.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I don't know if they're any good, but did you look at these?

Shimano MT50 SPD Pedal > Components > Drivetrain, Brakes and Pedals > Clipless Pedals | Jenson USA

They're that Click'r type that Shimano came up with fairly recently. Supposed to be very easy to get in and out of, and that platform doesn't look too bad for regular shoes.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    I don't know if they're any good, but did you look at these?

Shimano MT50 SPD Pedal > Components > Drivetrain, Brakes and Pedals > Clipless Pedals | Jenson USA

They're that Click'r type that Shimano came up with fairly recently. Supposed to be very easy to get in and out of, and that platform doesn't look too bad for regular shoes.
    Saw them on price point and some people were complaining that they didn't shed mud well.

Wanna ride bikes?
    just get regular SPD's of your choice and a platform adapter. super simple and easily removable when you want. i like the M540's cause i'm a value oriented guy most of the time.

with the adapter, dual purpose pedals without the compromises.

I tried the first pedal you linked and they didn't really work very well with regular shoes. too small and curved so shoes didn't really grip well even for just getting around.

oh yeah, and buy yourself a set of THESE. they are much better to learn on. they allow you to unclip easier and faster, in a variety of directions, in case you execute a non traditional dismount off the front of your bike. whatever pedals you buy will probably come with the 51's which only let you unclip to the side. use those in the adapters.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

there's no bread

mtbr member
    Crank bros mallets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Also, the 324's have no float.

mtbr member
    I have two sets of pedals for this reason. A set of basic flats on the bike most of the time and swap to SPDs when I'm going on a longer ride (which won't be spur of the moment so change ahead of time). It takes maybe two minutes to change pedals anyways.

mtbr member
    The M324's you linked to look decent to me.

My foremost recommendation is the same as with SlipSpace above: two sets of pedals and a good pedal wrench. It takes less than two minutes to change the pedals, and if you're going on a longer ride with clipless shoes and all, it won't add much to your preparation routines.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Also, the 324's have no float.
    What do you mean they have no float?

Wanna ride bikes?
    What do you mean they have no float?
    how much movement you have when clipped in.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    I have two sets of pedals for this reason. A set of basic flats on the bike most of the time and swap to SPDs when I'm going on a longer ride (which won't be spur of the moment so change ahead of time). It takes maybe two minutes to change pedals anyways.
    I get nervous about taking stuff off and putting it back on too many times. I had a race pace stem that I was constantly removing and changing the stack height of the stem and everything else and I eventually strip the threads out of the collar. I'm sure it was cuz I was over torquing it but anyways if I was constantly removing pedals and putting petals back on once or twice a week every week wouldn't that eventually wear out the threads on my cranks or am I reading into this too much?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BENKD29 View Post
    how much movement you have when clipped in.
    You mean movement side to side? Does that mean that with no float if your foot moves a little bit out you will come unclipped prematurely?

Wanna ride bikes?
    yes. and I'm not sure, i've never used a pedal with no float.

it's nice to have though. it gives you a little margin for error when installing your cleats in your shoes, but mostly it's nice because i notice my feet are at slightly different angles when i sit and stand.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    I get nervous about taking stuff off and putting it back on too many times. I had a race pace stem that I was constantly removing and changing the stack height of the stem and everything else and I eventually strip the threads out of the collar. I'm sure it was cuz I was over torquing it but anyways if I was constantly removing pedals and putting petals back on once or twice a week every week wouldn't that eventually wear out the threads on my cranks or am I reading into this too much?
    Stems are different, they are only M5 or so (5mm) threads and only supposed to be torqued to 5-6nm. Pedals and cranks are designed to take massive forces from pedalling so are very very very unlikely to strip. They will be 1/2", 9/16" or metric equivalent with chunky threads. Shouldn't be a problem. They don't need to be massively tight either. I generally nip mine up and theyre fine. Normal pedal rotation is in the direction of tightening so should prevewnt them coming loose. Remember theyre left and right hand threaded usefully labelled L and R.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipSpace View Post
    Normal pedal rotation is in the direction of tightening so should prevewnt them coming loose.
    Actually normal pedal rotation is in the opposite direction that pedals tighten onto cranks. Loosely tightened pedals seems to work for some people but I've seen a lot of ruined crankarms due to that so I'd go with the recommended ~40nm.

I agree with the rest, big threads designed for lots of torque are not easily damaged and I think you could safely remove and install pedals hundreds, if not thousands of times.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Actually normal pedal rotation is in the opposite direction that pedals tighten onto cranks.
    I was all set to argue this until I had a little think, well, quite a long think really, and you're right.

Sooooooo, what I meant was, the pedal tightens in the same direction as normal crank rotation, and vice versa, when viewed from that crank side.

-Right hand crank = right hand thread
    -Left hand crank = left hand thread

Not ruined my crank arms nipping up (yet), but maybe I'm calibrated to 40nm with my wrench......

SS Pusher Man
    The Shimano 324's are horrible pedals.....they really don't do either very well.

You will find that once you go clipless, you will no longer want to ride on flats....so you will just end up with a pedal that you only use half of anyway.

Just commit to it...don't go 1/2 way. Get yourself a nice set of 540's and be done with it.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    +1 Crank Bros Mallets.

I've tried all sorts to solve the same problem you're having and these are the only ones I've found that fit the bill. They work awesome when clipped in...depending on what I'm riding I actually like these better than my eggbeaters. But they are also perfect for just hopping on to cruise around the neighborhood, to the store, haul the kids whatever with your normal shoes. There is a bit of a hump under your foot when not clipped in, but it's negligible and you get great traction on the pedals anyways since they are pinned.

Highly recommend.

mtbr member
    I just got some am45 shoes & m530 pedals, 1st ride so far felt pretty good.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Keep the threads clean and greased, and you won't strip them easily.

Do torque them properly. Precession prevents them from loosening, but they must be at the proper tightness to begin with or things rub against each other. That will destroy threads with time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precession_(mechanical)

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    Same experience here. I have 530s on my fixed road bike and single speed MTB and both bicycles perform great with those pedals.

Useable for regular shoes to and from the store, and, of course, great with SPD shoes. I have the Shimano Click'R shoes for optimal walking comfort. Will be getting the new Shimano AM5 for more off road performance.

mtbr member
    Crank brothers mallets are great. Have an eggbeater style clip in the center with adjustable pins on the platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giant Reign Advanced 1

New question here. first clipeless & shoes

Any recomendations and opinions please:

never used clipeless before. don't have a possibility to try different pedals and shoes so will just buy online once.
    bike - Reign. style - very very lite enduro|all-m. now riding DMR V12 with some adidas, often my foot got lose frome pedal. climat - summer, so shoes must be very breathable.

So, candidates:
    pedals:
    1. crankbrothers Mallet E Clipless/Platform Pedals
    2. crankbrothers Mallet E LS Klickpedale Modell 2017
    3. crankbrothers Mallet DH Clipless Pedals - 2018 Model

which one is better and how to determine it? E vs E LS - only longer spindle, but how to decide?

shoes:
    1. Five Ten Hellcat Pro MTB SPD Schuhe Modell 2017
    2. Five Ten Maltese Falcon MTB SPD Shoes - 2017 Model
    3. Shimano SH-ME7 MTB Shoes
    4. Mavic Crossmax XL Pro MTB Shoes
    5. Sidi Epic MTB Schuhe

what would you buy?
    OK

I'm using the Mallet E on my fatbike and really like the platform size. For me the "which one is better" depends on use and preference. I don't need a bigger platform than the E and I like to run pedals with the least chance of interference with nature. I have the standard spindles and my size 48 shoes still have enough heel clearance, but if that's typically an issue the long spindle gives you a little more room. No help on the shoes, sorry. I'm wear the Sidi Privateer HV.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I've been using Wellgo WAM-M919 pedals. They were extremely cheap. I put a pair on 4 bikes. For longer rides I wear the Shimano SH-AM5 shoes, which are comfortable to wear running errands. Although, I wouldn't want to walk more than a mile or two in them. When I am just making a short run I clip in an adapter. I listed a link to the pedals , shoes and platform adapter below. The adapters work well. If you have the release tension set as low as possible, they can come out if you fool around much. I keep my release tension about two turns in and I need to use both hands to release them.

Shimano SH-AM5 Shoes
    SABLUE Universal Clipless to Platform Adapters
    Wellgo WAM-M919 Alloy Clipless MTB Pedals w/Cleats

mtbr member
    I am thinking of getting my first set of clipless pedals and shoes for my gravel SS and I want something that I can run errands on with regular shoes without getting in my full biking dress just for a trip 4 blocks to the store. Thats mainly the reason I have hesitated on clipless is because there are just times I ride around town in street clothes and regular shoes. So I have a question about these 2 pedals. I like the M530s simply because they have clips on both sides but I am not sure either side will give sufficient pedal traction like the M324s in the second link. If you have any other recommendations feel free to chime in but I want to stay on the cheap side for my first set.

Shimano PD M530 SLX Trail Clipless Pedal > Components > Drivetrain, Brakes and Pedals > Clipless Pedals | Jenson USA

Shimano PD-M324 Pedals > Components > Drivetrain, Brakes and Pedals > Clipless Pedals | Jenson USA
    I have A530's on my Crossrip and use them with a pair of Giro Rumbles. The flat side of the pedal works fine for casual rides with a pair of running shoes or similar. The Giro shoes are very comfortable, cost-efficient, and are quite usable for walking around in without scarfing the clips, and they clip in easily on the SPD side of the pedal.
    Last edited by Cuyuna; 10-07-2017 at 06:52 AM.