Clipless Pedal Help/Suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Clipless Pedal Help/Suggestions

I know it's probably been tossed around a lot on here, but I'm thinking about going to clipless pedals on my SS 29er and am looking for some input/advice on your suggestions for an inexpensive simple pair, weight is really not much of a concern to me in them.

I like the platforms for simplicity of riding, but having come from being a roadie it feels like I'm losing a lot of power not running a clipless pedal. I live in Florida and do not really have any downhill or super technical stuff to ride or else I'd just upgrade to some nicer platforms, I really enjoy hammering it through flowy stuff and out in the open the most, more cross country riding than technical single track so my line of thought is that I would be better served with a clipless pedal than platform.

Also is there any MTB clipless pedal that offers a platform to be clipped to it for riding around the neighborhood, I've got a 5 year old so that'd be nice if there was, I know there are some available for road style clipless pedals and they are really handy to have.

I've been looking at the Shimano M530 MTB SPD Trail Pedals along with the Crank Bros Candy's and Egg Beater's as well, but not sure how the egg beaters would feel under the shoe after awhile.

Low Rep Count
    Well I just made the switch from my speed play frogs over to a set of Crank Brothers 3's that I upgraded with ti axles. The feel is completly different but after a couple of rides I can say that I am used to them.

I'm not sure of the model for the Shimano pedal you posted but I do know that Shimano makes a pedal that has a larger platform to it as well as an SPD clip in system. The pedal is heavy but I know I have seen them at the local Performance store. As far as the Candy's, the platform really is not that big at all and will do little to nothing for you with normal shoes when tooling around the block. IMO, you might as well still lace up your mtb shoes with them and clip in.

Ok, after a quick look the ones I saw at performance weren't Shimano's but here is a link to one of their pages where you can see a couple different styles that have a platform as well as clip in ability.

Find Mountain Bike Pedals: The Best Bike Pedals & Cleats From Performance Bike

mtbr member
    I think at half the price of XT pedals, with just a minimal addition in weight, you can't go wrong with the SLX pedals. I've always run Shimano SPD pedals and haven't had any fail on me. The XTs do spin smoother after a years use compared to my Deore clipless, but the difference is negligible. For under $50, the SLX is a great deal.

For riding around the neigborhood, I have a set of these PD-M545 pedals. They have a bigger cage around them so you can use them without SPD shoes. You can still feel the clip underneath your shoe, but it works fine for trips under 15 minutes. Any more than that and it gets annoying. Those pedals run a bit more at around $70. I've had those same pedals for 3+ years, and still going strong!
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    I think at half the price of XT pedals, with just a minimal addition in weight, you can't go wrong with the SLX pedals. I've always run Shimano SPD pedals and haven't had any fail on me. The XTs do spin smoother after a years use compared to my Deore clipless, but the difference is negligible. For under $50, the SLX is a great deal.

For riding around the neigborhood, I have a set of these PD-M545 pedals. They have a bigger cage around them so you can use them without SPD shoes. You can still feel the clip underneath your shoe, but it works fine for trips under 15 minutes. Any more than that and it gets annoying. Those pedals run a bit more at around $70. I've had those same pedals for 3+ years, and still going strong!
    These are some of the Shimano's I was looking at;

Shimano M520 Clipless SPD Pedals | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Shimano M530 MTB SPD Trail Pedals | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Shimano M540 Clipless SPD Pedals | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Had also been looking at these by Crank Bros;

Crank Brothers Mallet 1 2011 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Crank Brothers Eggbeater 1 Pedals | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Crank Brothers Candy 1 Pedals | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

The need for singlespeed

If you go big S, stick with M520s

I got M520s as my first clipless pedals and liked them a lot, never let me down in years. Then with (modest) gift certificate winnings from local races I upgraded to M540s, mostly because they're silver and also a tad lighter (30g? ). They perform no better than the 520s.

see me rollin, they hatin
    i had the ones with the plastic platform surrounding the clipless pedal. i thought i'd be able to rest a normal shoe on them, but i couldnt. i could feel the bulge in the metal and it slipped around. maybe there are other ones that feel better, but i had somebody eventually cut offthe platform because when i would unclip, i felt like my shoe would hit the platform and slow the release.

despite all that, i dont feel like being clipped in is a huge change from good platforms/shoes. having used both, i dont feel like i suffer on climbs on plats, but other people whould say otherwise. i think the've done studies on that, where "pulling on the upstroke" is an exaggerated claim and most riders dont really do that often, regardless of the pedal they are running. but they DO keep your foot from bouncing, thats for sure. i've been doing clipless on the road (i dont often ride road) and good plats for the technical stuff, but thats just my personal preference.

mtbr member
    If it were me, I would go for the M530s. Much cheaper than the XTR trails for essentially the same functionality.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Time

mtbr member
    I bought some Eggbeaters,my first time clipless by the way...
    I'm having one hell of a time getting clipped in..
    I can manage to get my left foot in,but the right is damn near
    impossible.....Any suggestions?

Apr 2007
    I'm a Shimano SPD homer, as I have never had any problems after years of abuse. Cheap M520's will serve you well. I still run them on one of my bikes. The others have XT's, which are better, so if you've got the dough, get them. For shoes, I really like my Specialized. I would like to get a part of the new ones with the carbon soles (it's on my xmas list). My current pair is 5 years old and going strong. I use it for road and mtb.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The M520's are a fine pedal. Other than the weight, I can't tell the difference between them and my xt pedals. As to riding clipless pedals around the neighborhood, your LBS should have some of the cheapie plastic platforms that clip into SPD's for demo rides. Remove them when not needed.

As noted above, the larger cage spd pedals are designed to provide more support when using a cleated shoe, but not really comfortable with a non-cleated shoe. And they're heavier than the 520's.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    520's nylon fixing sleeve is a pita to properly tighten. Not to mention you need a plastic special tool (a couple of bucks but BikeSource in Denver wanted to charge $9 for it). I'd take 540 any day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for all the input so far, I think I've narrowed it down to either the 540's, Eggbeaters 1 or ? Or Candy 2's with the alum around them not the composite. I talked to a mechanic at a LBS yesterday, he swears by the Candy's, he races endurance races 8, 12, 24hr ones and say they have never let him down. He likes they are low maintenance and easy to get in and out of and the amount of float they have.

I'm gonna keep l

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for all the input so far, I think I've narrowed it down to either the 540's, Eggbeaters 1 or ? Or Candy 2's with the alum around them not the composite. I talked to a mechanic at a LBS yesterday, he swears by the Candy's, he races endurance races 8, 12, 24hr ones and say they have never let him down. He likes they are low maintenance and easy to get in and out of and the amount of float they have.

I'm gonna keep looking into them some more and make my decision. Again appreciate your input/advice so far, open to any more anyone has too.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I've run SPD and Eggbeaters 1. I decided to see what the Eggbeaters were like after I was an idiot and totally destroyed my SPDs when trying to service them. Anyways, I use the Eggbeaters on all three of my bikes (road, hardtail, fixed gear commuter). The ones on the road bike and fixed gear are working great, but the ones on the hardtail are taking a real beating. I ride around Peavine in Reno, and it's all rocks. I've had plenty of pedal strikes on the Eggbeaters, but they're never accidentally released. I like them, but the bearings and cages are shot from all the pedal strikes I've had. If I had the money, I would put some higher-level Candy pedals on the mountain bike. I do like the open design of CB pedals, especially for the icy/snowy riding we have up here now.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yeh I'm in Florida so not a lot of rocks around here, lots of roots and LOTS of sand which is one thing I've heard the CB's are good for, kinda like a single speed, easy to keep clean and get the sand out. I'm really leaning towards them.

I also found some "decksters" that are platforms that would clip to the clip less pedal so that would let me use regular shoes when I'm riding around the neighborhood with my son or girlfriend. Will def be ordering a set of those and an extra set of cleats to go on them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    About 6 years ago I upgraded to crankbrothers and i love them. I have 2 sets of candys and ss eggbeater and i just got some eggbeater 3s that I am going to put these ti spindels on.
    Upgrade Crank Brothers Egg Beater Pedals Short Titanium Ti Spindles

Just make sure you load the pedals with some grease and check the 8mm bolt every so often.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ridefast84 View Post
    About 6 years ago I upgraded to crankbrothers and i love them. I have 2 sets of candys and ss eggbeater and i just got some eggbeater 3s that I am going to put these ti spindels on.
    Upgrade Crank Brothers Egg Beater Pedals Short Titanium Ti Spindles

Just make sure you load the pedals with some grease and check the 8mm bolt every so often.
    What's your opinion on the egg beaters's vs the candy's? The guy I talked to yesterday at a LBS yesterday said he likes the candy's because if you happen to miss and not get clipped in it gives you a little more to mash until you can get clipped into them. I'm pretty good at getting clipped in, rode clipless on my roadbike and never really had any issues so I don't know that I'm than concerned with that, but I can see where he's coming from with being on a trail and the need to come out of the pedal and get back in with less than perfect conditions to do so.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndog45 View Post
    Don't really want to start new thread...

Anyone???

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Don't really want to start new thread...

Anyone???
    Haha I say just try clipping your right one in like your left should work lol J/K could not pass up the chance to be funny

Stokeless Asshat
    Quote Originally Posted by jcufari View Post
    Time
    Times 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't waist your money on Cracked Brothers pedals.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

openwound
    Time.
    -- let's ride

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    I've run SPD and Eggbeaters 1. I decided to see what the Eggbeaters were like after I was an idiot and totally destroyed my SPDs when trying to service them. Anyways, I use the Eggbeaters on all three of my bikes (road, hardtail, fixed gear commuter). The ones on the road bike and fixed gear are working great, but the ones on the hardtail are taking a real beating. I ride around Peavine in Reno, and it's all rocks. I've had plenty of pedal strikes on the Eggbeaters, but they're never accidentally released. I like them, but the bearings and cages are shot from all the pedal strikes I've had. I do like the open design of CB pedals, especially for the icy/snowy riding we have up here now.
    I feel the same way, have eggbeaters on my road bike (11's - new design) and single speed (2's - old style), and candy's (old style) on my Nomad...no issues at all. I also have mallets that I used on my Nomad before I went to the candy's...just felt I didn't need a large platform since I was running stiff clipless mt shoe. I just had my single speed eggbeaters overhauled and they are tight as day one (had them since 2009). So not sure about other pedals when it comes to needing overhauls. And not sure how the new designed eggbeaters are for longevity vs the old.
    10 TransAM SS
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1 - Sold
    Hightower LTcc - 18 Lg - Sold
    (Building up 19 in XL)

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    So I decided to go with eggbeaters,2's I found them on sale for $59.99, I found the 1's for $39.99 but I'm thinking for only $20 difference I'd be ahead to go with the 2's, agree?

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by danraley41 View Post
    So I decided to go with eggbeaters,2's I found them on sale for $59.99, I found the 1's for $39.99 but I'm thinking for only $20 difference I'd be ahead to go with the 2's, agree?
    yes.
    10 TransAM SS
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1 - Sold
    Hightower LTcc - 18 Lg - Sold
    (Building up 19 in XL)

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I always use SPD - currently Shimano XT. It always work well, but I have hard time to service them. Eggbeaters looks much easier to manitain. Will give them a chance.

mtbr member
    For a newb to clipless I find it hard to suggest anything other than the Shimano models mentioned above. These pedals have adjustable tension and a multi-release cleat is available to help ease you into the system. The cleats are also durable and don't need replacement as often. Modern Shimano versions are also much better than their predecessors in clearing mud and sand.
    The alternatives Time and Crank Bros have greater float which means you have to move your foot farther to come free. Unless you have known knee issues you probably don't need all that extra float.
    I started with Crank Brothers but after a few too many broken spindles and accidental ejections I decided to move on. I tried Time Roc Atac and while I liked it quite a bit I never felt assured of getting out in time (I also have a few scars to attest to it). I'm on Shimano 540s now and love them. Great for AZ rocks and sand. Adjustable tension.
    As for riding around the block with your kids just hold on to an old pair of cleats and attach them to a small wood platform (or get the demo platforms from a bike shop).
    Cheers,
    M

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by danraley41 View Post
    What's your opinion on the egg beaters's vs the candy's? The guy I talked to yesterday at a LBS yesterday said he likes the candy's because if you happen to miss and not get clipped in it gives you a little more to mash until you can get clipped into them. I'm pretty good at getting clipped in, rode clipless on my roadbike and never really had any issues so I don't know that I'm than concerned with that, but I can see where he's coming from with being on a trail and the need to come out of the pedal and get back in with less than perfect conditions to do so.
    Dude sorry i did not reply i guess i missed the e mail!

You are going to like the egg beaters! I feel like both pedals are the same at getting clipped in. Ill prob sell a set of my candys and just last week i bent an axel of my 2003 egg beater pedals so I am going to try putting the old axels from my eb sl's into my ss.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Wink

I just got some Eggbeaters about 5 days ago -- my first clipless too. The best biking accessory there is IMO.

Try turning the shoe upside down and clipping into the bottom of the pedal by hand, on or off the bike -- that way you can see what is happening. I had to use the shim on both shoes -- they would clip without them, but not with as positive a snap as with the shim. You might need more shimming.

Place your shoe with the toe over the pedal, centering carefully. Slide forward until it stops. The front ear of the cleat will catch a blade and rotate around to the proper position with a second blade under the back ear of the cleat. Then push down. CLICK!

The tricky part is getting the cleat centered to the blades. I practiced for about 5 minutes with a mirror on the ground -- stationary of course!

After about three hours of practice riding it is becoming automatic -- I did it a few times and realized I wasn't even thinking about it.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm a huge fan of Shimano's M540. Cheap and uber tough. All metal housing and lock nut for the axle. I have new xtr's as well. I end up racing on the 540's though because i like them better. So the xtr's live on the cross bike.

"If it ain't moto, it's worthless"