Climbing on a SS is brutal!- Mtbr.com
    Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Climbing on a SS is brutal!

I went up in the Gorge for a ride, ran into a guy with a GF Rig, attempted to climb a few months on that torture device. How do you guys do it? When does the love enter your soul for this SS thing? Maybe I just tried to climb the wrong hill--Dog River is pretty steep. The 29" wheel thing was cool but you can have the SS thing.

Jaybo

Not because I'm fast.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I went up in the Gorge for a ride, ran into a guy with a GF Rig, attempted to climb a few months on that torture device. How do you guys do it? When does the love enter your soul for this SS thing? Maybe I just tried to climb the wrong hill--Dog River is pretty steep. The 29" wheel thing was cool but you can have the SS thing.

Jaybo
    SS is not for everyone, and that's OK. Riding SS knocked the boredom out of mountain biking for me, provided new challenges, and made old trails seem new again. It made me a better rider too. If you have tried it and don't like it, then enjoy your gears. Riding any bike is cool.

Nat
    mtbr member
    When does the love enter your soul for this SS thing?
    On the second ride.

blame me for missed rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    On the second ride.
    not me. second half of the first ride.
    Last edited by weather; 07-30-2005 at 06:23 PM.

mtbr member

Ah ha!

Jaybo
    When you realize that as in other endeavors, most barriers are mental.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The steeper the trail the more I prefer my SS. It is my lightest bike and easiest to carry.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Jaybo
    When you climb that hill and - your hanging over the stem with your stomach in your throat, your tonuge is licking the front tire, your heads about to explode and you look back realize that you just dusted your mates on the climb, then when you hit the single track at the top your "gear" feels like magic etc....

Third half of the forth ride
    mtbtires.com

Cracker-magnon
    When you realize that you have never met a hill that you couldn't walk up.
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

rbtm member
    Jan 2004

Jaybo
    I'd rather walk than do the furious sit and spin at a few miles an hour up the steeps. Phatooie (that's me spitting on the ground... oh crap, that's new carpet!). Seriously though, as soon as I quit thinking about how much harder it is without gears and started thinking about to complete a ride with what I have, it became a total blast.
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

The funny thing is I'm considering one....

I"m not sure it will get ridden as much as my Spot. I love that frickin' bike! However, it would be great for certain trails and some road riding in the winter. I could get that puppy caked with mud and I wouldn't have to worry about mucking up the gears.

I was not trying to be critical because cycling is individual. If you like, ride it, and smile a lot.

Jaybo

Nat
    mtbr member
    I"m not sure it will get ridden as much as my Spot. I love that frickin' bike! However, it would be great for certain trails and some road riding in the winter. I could get that puppy caked with mud and I wouldn't have to worry about mucking up the gears.

I was not trying to be critical because cycling is individual. If you like, ride it, and smile a lot.

Jaybo
    You'll probably start thinking about it more and more, wondering if you could make it a little further up that hill the next time (you probably could). Wondering...wondering...

Steamroller

Welcome Marley.....

Quote Originally Posted by Marley
    When you climb that hill and - your hanging over the stem with your stomach in your throat, your tonuge is licking the front tire, your heads about to explode and you look back realize that you just dusted your mates on the climb, then when you hit the single track at the top your "gear" feels like magic etc....
    .......But, what's a tonuge?!?
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

mad aussie

Jaybo
    Mine replaced my 5-spot, the spot made trails into a point a shoot affair, the inbred means I have to be involved in riding rather than feeling like you are just in a amusement park ride. I am now considering going to a rigid fork up front with just a big tire for cushioning.
    I rode today with a group, the guy on the Giant Reign was faster on rocky downhill sections but I was having more fun, albeit slower. On most uphills except the steepest I could definately ride faster. It is also amazing what you can ride if you have the confidence to really tackle it.

(was) Big in Japan
    ... a GF Rig, ... When does the love enter your soul for this SS thing? ... the wrong hill--Dog River is pretty steep. The 29" wheel thing was cool ....

Jaybo
    the love enters your soul as soon as the bike is geared right for you and your 'hood. The Rig has a pretty tall gear for a 29er with short cranks, and would be a killer for mere mortals on any big mountains.

Oh, and if you are contemplating getting a 29er SS, you may as well sell your 5-Spot now!
    Ride.

Des(s)ert Rat

Jaybo
    Mmmm.... I think I like pain. I like the climbing, the challenge, the searing feeling of the air being sucked into the lungs as my legs strain against the pedals. I know, I'm a sicko, but the pain helps chase the demons in my mind.

Or you could just say that the swooping singletrack that winds around the red sandstone walls that rise above the Colorado River are enough to put a big grin on my face. The fact that the singlespeed is a tool to enjoy the flow, well, that's just icing on the cake.

Jaybo
    What gears?!? Spot makes only singlespeeds.

(this IS the SS board)

I know you are not dissing SSing. Swapping bikes on a steep climb during a ride is not exactly the best introduction to the breed.
    mtbtires.com

Waiting to exhale.
    Jaybo, you might as well sell your 5 spot now...
    Life will never be the same.

It happened to me, foshizzle, wombat, and I think ozolongboarder.
    Quite possibly the slowest single speeder on earth.
    Now skating 'cause its cheaper.

Reviewer/Tester

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Jaybo...Beware..

My advice is simply this..

Unless you want your other bikes to collect dust and cobwebs and eventually be sold...RUN AWAY NOW !!

Do not even think about 29'er singlespeeds, don't have anything to do with them, ignore any interest or ideas or urges to "just try them out".

If you do not do this IMMEDIATELY... then you are doomed to a biking life of extreme pain and pleasure mixed with moments of zen-like "in the zone" riding that you have never felt from riding a geared bike.

You have been warned.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    screampint: Mmmm.... I think I like pain. I like the climbing, the challenge, the searing feeling of the air being sucked into the lungs as my legs strain against the pedals. I know, I'm a sicko, but the pain helps chase the demons in my mind.

It is the same for geared bikes, except for this part:

Mr Bob: I'd rather walk than do the furious sit and spin at a few miles an hour up the steeps

I would rather never walk!
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Single Speed Junkie
    The simplicity

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

*l*

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY

So, you have no problem pushing your bike up super steep hills? Where I live, you are either descending or climbing. It is all up and all down. There is one place where it is kind of rolling but I never ride there.

I have one week to think about it before my LBS has their annual sale. Choices, choices....

Jaybo

PS SS are fairly cheap.

Nat
    mtbr member
    So, you have no problem pushing your bike up super steep hills? Where I live, you are either descending or climbing. It is all up and all down. There is one place where it is kind of rolling but I never ride there.

I have one week to think about it before my LBS has their annual sale. Choices, choices....

Jaybo

PS SS are fairly cheap.
    Steep up/down is good. You can gear down to match the local terrain and your fitness. If it's really steep, then you coast on the descent anyway.

What singlespeeds does the LBS carry? You could get one and bring it with you when you come to Bend in a couple weeks.
    Last edited by Nat; 07-31-2005 at 09:12 AM.

Des(s)ert Rat
    PS SS are fairly cheap.
    Hurry, run away! That's how they reel you in! Then, before you know it, you're dreaming of your own custom frame and paint job.

Des(s)ert Rat
    I must be a wuss, over the same trails my singlespeed gives me more pain than my geared bike.

In all honesty, I have so many reason for riding a singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

hehe, DON'T climb Dog River!

Seriously, dog River is not a friendly climb, what gearing did you choose or was chosen? When you gonna come up to Longview to play at Stella? It's much fun on SS.

bob

Jaybo
    red-haze
    The more I know the more I know I don't know.
    Let the bike ride the trail, you ride the bike.
    Look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Walking & riding

It's hilly here. I like that. I like trying to clean hills that I know I can't, and thinking as I carry my bike up, "Next time. Next time I'm gonna make it." I used to be ashamed of dabbing, let alone walking. Now I take it in stride. It's part of the game. You go balls-out on the approach, you stand and hammer and juke around and over the roots and rocks, you try to keep your ass over the back wheel and your chest over the bars, and you spinspinspinspin....then grunt grunt grunt...then mash...then "oh ****"..then you walk the last thrid. And your geared friends are catching you as you crest the hill, but they're as cooked as you are from the effort of twirling a granny gear the whole way up. You all arrive at the same time, but YOU get the respect for even trying it on a single. And tomorrow you are stronger yet.

I am Walt
    Built mine up in Dec. with the intent to ride the easier trails and make them more interesting, better workout, etc. Everybody warned me that I'd end up neglecting the gearie; I just said, "Yeah, right..."

Now I ride it as much as I can, probably 75% of the time, and have taken it on just about everything. And I will be taking it to whatever trails I haven't hit on it yet. So now I want more - steel, discs, more travel...typical.

Yes, climbing is "harder" on the SS, but it's truly amazing how much you can actually clean with it. I'm climbing stuff on it in 32:18 (equivalent to 2/5 - middle chain ring/middle rear cog) that I was happy to clean in my granny or 2/1 on the gearie. It's just a matter of what you have to work with and not having to worry about gears - just suck it up and power up as far as you can. It makes you so much stronger.

Go for it. Yeah, it's brutal, but now I wouldn't have it any other way.

Walt
    Ride more; post less...

prawny

How'd you know??!

Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    Hurry, run away! That's how they reel you in! Then, before you know it, you're dreaming of your own custom frame and paint job.
    ...how'd you know??!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Waiting to exhale.
    There's something appealing about getting to the top of a climb and having tunnel vision and seeing spots! Its like eating shrooms or dropping acid without the drugs!

Des(s)ert Rat

Guess...

Pre-powdercoat, with the wheels:

After powdercoat:

On the trail:

In action:

Am I obsessed? Probably. Do I like it? Definitely!

mtbr member

it's just a challenge

I have a big problem with pushing up super steep hills, so I'll try any hill.

small-hill

Recovering Weight Weenie
    If your friends Rig was geared too hard that will make all the difference in the world.

Most people from Northern California for example, gear their singlespeeds super tough so they can go really fast on the flats. They also build them extra light so they are easier to carry when the walk up the hills.

Most people in the flatter parts of the country gear HUGE...using speed and momentum for the occasional up.

In southern california, the gearing is usually approx. a few gear inches easier for the super steeps we have.

Most importantly, the gear you use on your SS should match your fitness, strength, riding duration, and riding terrain...as much as possible.

Throw a bigger cog out back on your friends Rig and your experience could be completely different.

Am I getting too bulky?
    Climbing on an SS is brutal? Tell me about it. I got my ass kicked last weekend in Vermont, so what did I do? I swapped in an 18 tooth freewheel for the 20 I've been running with a 34 tooth ring. GOTTA GET STRONGER! Today's ride was the best in a long time. Hurt so good, I fell in love with my SS all over again! Who'd have thunk that pushing a harder gear would actually make the ride more fun? As others have warned you, be prepared.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

Reviewer/Tester

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Noooooooooooooooooooo...

Jaybo

PS SS are fairly cheap.

Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo....

"PS SS are fairly cheap.[/QUOTE]"

Doomed...doomed..

I remember when I said that too. Then I ordered a new scandium frame..and wheelset, and pedals, cranks, BB, brakes, bars, etc..etc.. lol..

Ah well, it's only money..

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Yup, sometimes a lower gear does not make the climbs easier. I tried that a few times on my usual routes.

The first hill or two felt easier. After that I was hurting just as much but moving slower so I hurt for a longer time.
    mtbtires.com

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

My grandmother could climb that hill :)

Quote Originally Posted by pacman

small-hill
    Had to josh you a bit. Does anyone say joshed anymore. Dating myself.

I went on a ride today that was five miles of rocky, rooted climbs that was relentless. Just up and up and up and up...until you can't climb anymore. From one thousand feet to four thousand in five miles. A real 22-34 climb. Ouch! It would suck royal to push half of it. Suck bad!

I guess eventually the pain becomes your friend .

Jaybo

...I went on a ride today that was five miles of rocky, rooted climbs that was relentless. Just up and up and up and up...until you can't climb anymore. From one thousand feet to four thousand in five miles. A real 22-34 climb. Ouch! It would suck royal to push half of it. Suck bad!

Jaybo
    You would be surprised how big of a gear can be used to ride up a climb like that (with a few rest stops).

I find a gear gear lower than 24x32 difficult on rough terrain because of the effort required to maintain balance at such a low speed.
    mtbtires.com

Waiting to exhale.
    Had to josh you a bit. Does anyone say joshed anymore. Dating myself.

I went on a ride today that was five miles of rocky, rooted climbs that was relentless. Just up and up and up and up...until you can't climb anymore. From one thousand feet to four thousand in five miles. A real 22-34 climb. Ouch! It would suck royal to push half of it. Suck bad!

Jaybo
    Just don't eat a bunch of really spicy tacos from a hole in the wall mexican joint the night before a single speed ride. Imagine your digestive system trying desperately to squirt those god forsaken tacos out of your body in a hurry while you are mashing the hell out of your pedals on a super steep up hill. Let me tell you folks... its not fun. other than that, the right gears will make your ride much more comfy.....99% of the time.

Reviewer/Tester
    ..Smokey.. r o f l !!

I am currently trying to find the cutting edge of oxygen deprivation on long steep climbs.

Tunnel vision and spots before my eyes whilst breathing white-hot razor blades with screaming leg muscles works wonders for my riding experience..lol..

Geez, I love SS'ing...

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    I have not ridden my 5-Spot since I picked up my GF Rig.

Now I am eyeballing a custom steel 29er SS.

Jaybo

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY

And me too..... only rode the El Salty 2 or 3 times since I got the SS. And haven't really missed it at all.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman

small-hill
    Oh c'mon Pacman....that is nothing......I have seen you do MUCH harder than that and seen you do it over, and over, and over, ......

Peace & Love

Jaybo
    As others with fine bikes in this post have noted (eg, 5 Spots), I too have not ridden my geared bike but now twice in 6 months since starting single speeding (a Ventana X-5). The only reason I think I keep the X-5 is because I frankly can't get enough money back for it to justify it. My saga is as follows....

* I bought a Surly 1x1 off of ebay about 6 months ago to test out the single speed thing....
    * realized I loved single speeding WAY MORE than so-called "All Mountain" riding or watever.....
    * sold VERY blinged out FS bike to fund a new single speed since it would clearly not get more use
    * used that money to buy new SS...BEST BIKE I EVER HAD........
    * now just sold the Surly I bought off ebay since no longer needed
    * am using that money from Surly sale towards another single speed (this time a 29er which should be ready this coming week)
    * still wondering what to do with X-5. Just put PUSHed Vanilla RC on last week and while I like it more, still not a single speed

BUT.....don't fool yourself in thinking that single speeding is much cheaper. While it certainly can be, you can still spend more than you need to as many of us can attest to but at least it is undoubtedly worth it.

mtbr member
    I am going to flip my 5-Spot and barely ridden AM1 fork pretty soon. I am hoping I will get a little more than normal for my 5-Spot since it is one of the few anodized frames. I am waiting for Interbike to see if there are any nifty new 29er offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    As others with fine bikes in this post have noted (eg, 5 Spots), I too have not ridden my geared bike but now twice in 6 months since starting single speeding (a Ventana X-5). The only reason I think I keep the X-5 is because I frankly can't get enough money back for it to justify it. My saga is as follows....

* I bought a Surly 1x1 off of ebay about 6 months ago to test out the single speed thing....
    * realized I loved single speeding WAY MORE than so-called "All Mountain" riding or watever.....
    * sold VERY blinged out FS bike to fund a new single speed since it would clearly not get more use
    * am using that money from Surly sale towards another single speed (this time a 29er which should be ready this coming week)
    * still wondering what to do with X-5. Just put PUSHed Vanilla RC on last week and while I like it more, still not a single speed

BUT.....don't fool yourself in thinking that single speeding is much cheaper. While it certainly can be, you can still spend more than you need to as many of us can attest to but at least it is undoubtedly worth it.

Peace & Love
    that is the logical thing to do my friend....but unlike you, i have zero patience.

not that it is a bad thing at all and in fact, i would have probably bought one in time regardless but I got a One 9 SS. frame came in last week and it looks awesome. Plus, got their killer deal on the wheelset ($200 for Am Classic SS wheelset). This will be a very light 29er (one of the primary goals for this 29er SS) that I will run fully rigid and cannot wait....only waiting on cranks to put it together.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    that is the logical thing to do my friend....but unlike you, i have zero patience.
    Don't go to the Phil Wood booth at Interbike.

Your impatience and lust will drive you crazy.

Brent has told me that my new bike, that will be at the show is over the top.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    PS SS are fairly cheap.
    I made this mistake as well.. it all started out innocently enough with me spending a few quid on a SS conversion kit for my commuter.. which I liked but wanted something a little more off-roadie..

So, I started looking around at SS specific frames and the like, and somehow ended up getting a custom frame designed and is currently being built!!! I originally only wanted something cheap and fun... now just the frame itself is costing more than both my other bikes are worth put together!!

Here's a little sneaky peek....

They turned me loose
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The steeper the trail the more I prefer my SS. It is my lightest bike and easiest to carry.
    Damn, that's a great quote.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    There's a lot of jest and banter being exchanged here, but at the risk of dragging some dull commentary into all this, I've grown to realize that with riding singlespeed bikes - like any other bike - it's only as difficult as you want to make it. Match your gear choices with your terrain and the ride becomes pure bliss. Try and be a badass about it and you're likely to spend more time off your bike and on.

And therein lies part of the joy of this genre - the trial and error, the experimentation. And who amongst us doesn't like to dabble?

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by neville
    Don't go to the Phil Wood booth at Interbike.

Your impatience and lust will drive you crazy.

Brent has told me that my new bike, that will be at the show is over the top.
    Darn you and Brent! He told me after I had mine built up he thought I might have one upped him....and he said he was really going to go for it at Interbike.....you are the lucky recipient of Brent's commitment

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I'm thinking about dumping my Titus road bike

I must admit, I really dislike road cycling. I don't like smelly cars zooming by me threatening my very existance on this planet. So, I could sell the Titus and buy the GF Rig. I can get it for $900. I wish it didn't have all those crappy Bontrager parts on it. Oh, well, it has a decent fork and what looks to be a good frame.

You live in So Cal. What do you do about long climbs? Sounds brutal to me. How do you deal with that? Just grin and bear it?

Jaybo

Peace & Love
    Jaybo,

I really think you will surprise yourself.

I think step #1 is to get appropriate gearing. On my 26" single speed I am running a 32:20 which is virtually identical to the 32:22 I will be running on my new 29er.

For the first 10 rides I improved quite a bit both in terms of strenght but technique. In other words, while I NEVER stood on my geared bike and I mean never....I had a lot to learn. From simple things like using my body weight to do much of the mashing and reserving the torqueing on the bars for when I got tired.....this works great for long climbs for me and to be honest, I am no more tired than on my geared bike and can pretty much clean any long climb (note: I did not say steep technical climb). Other single speeders gave me some pointers. For example, riding with Upchuck taught me to also position myself behind the seat more for more full leg extension....while I do not do it as much as he does, I do find that this technique has allowed me to actually stay seated during climbs MUCH more than when I first started. My forearms burned a lot when I started which was more painful than the leg pain.....but not once I learned to use my weight effectively. Plus, now I can run a really slow cadence such that it is just to the point where I do not lose traction.......thus, alternating between the various techniques I have found that work for me give me no fear of long climbs. Now technical climbs are another story.....but riding with Upchuck and Pacman have taught me a lot and I can already clean (or come damn close) technical sections that I once thought would have no place for single speeders.

Frankly, even in Southern California, I can think of very, very few rides where my geared bike would give me a tangible benefit. I recently did a pretty epic Strawberry Peak ride on my single speed and it was no problem at all (other than the heat which would have zapped me regardless of bike).....6 months ago before single speeding that would have seemed foolish to me.

moral of the story.......do not underestimate yourself and what you can actually do with one gear....so long as it is an appropriate one gear

cheers

Nat
    mtbr member
    For the first 10 rides I improved quite a bit both in terms of strenght but technique. In other words, while I NEVER stood on my geared bike and I mean never....I had a lot to learn. From simple things like using my body weight to do much of the mashing and reserving the torqueing on the bars for when I got tired.....this works great for long climbs for me and to be honest, I am no more tired than on my geared bike and can pretty much clean any long climb (note: I did not say steep technical climb). Other single speeders gave me some pointers. For example, riding with Upchuck taught me to also position myself behind the seat more for more full leg extension....while I do not do it as much as he does, I do find that this technique has allowed me to actually stay seated during climbs MUCH more than when I first started. My forearms burned a lot when I started which was more painful than the leg pain.....but not once I learned to use my weight effectively. Plus, now I can run a really slow cadence such that it is just to the point where I do not lose traction.......thus, alternating between the various techniques I have found that work for me give me no fear of long climbs. Now technical climbs are another story.....but riding with Upchuck and Pacman have taught me a lot and I can already clean (or come damn close) technical sections that I once thought would have no place for single speeders.
    That's a good breakdown of the progression. The first several rides hurt...a lot! I was most amazed by how much I was using my upper body all of the sudden. If you keep at it you see yourself improving and getting stronger so rapidly that you just want more.