Clicky knees anyone?- Mtbr.com
    Fixed and single.

Clicky knees anyone?

Hello all, Im writing this you get some opinions or find those who can relate. At this point Im riding rigid SS exclusively and am noticing more knee clicking/ cracking. Im spinning a realistic ratio and am just wondering if im slowly destroying my knees. So if anyone can relate... Also please post your age, that would help. I'm 24 by the way. Thanks

mtbr member
    i have a clickity right knee. anytime i walk up stairs, it pops on every step. been SS exclusively for 4yrs.

24yrs old.

29 inches and Pissed Off!
    My right knee was worse before the singlespeed. I've been riding ss about 90% of the time and the knees are stronger. Hell, my knees have clicked and creaked for years. 49 years, in a couple of weeks anyway.
    Dan C.
    CaptainKana.com
    Mountain Biking.....Cheaper than a mistress.

Fixed and single.
    Thanks fellas. How 'bout soreness? I havent experienced any yet but I certainly feel the fatigue sometimes. Especially when I sit for a long time (ie. meetings, movies) they tend to get tight and need to be "cracked".

mtbr member

SS Exclusively

For about a year now. I noticed a bit of soreness in my knees at the beginning (like runner's shin splints, I reckon). Took a short break (couple weeks) and no more sore. I can't remember any cracking, but I do know my calves are WAY tighter and need stretching more than in the past. 49 years old last week.

King Pin

Wink Knees.

Aaahhh...

I'm now forty four, and have been abusing the heck outa my knees via bicycling and running for more than a quarter of a century now! Damn that sounds like a LONG time, eh??

Anywhoo, SS and in particular "fixie" has brought my knees new life! I no longer experience ANY knee pain whatsoever......none/nada/nothing. As a medical professional, I would have thought that SS/fixie would continue to make 'em worse, but that is just not the case.

Listen to your body, ride the gear that your body likes and soon your knees and such will continue to grow stronger! That's my story.

[email protected] da dumb
    I tried running to prepare for the CX season last fall. After a few days running, less than 5 miles for each run, my knees were wrecked. After a run I get clicking, cracking and celery crunching noises when I bend my knees. I've been SSing for 5 years and never had knee issues.

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004

same here

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kana
    My right knee was worse before the singlespeed. I've been riding ss about 90% of the time and the knees are stronger. Hell, my knees have clicked and creaked for years. 49 years, in a couple of weeks anyway.
    Dan C.
    same here. My left knee is borderline gimpy due to pre-biking activity. since SSing, my knees are much stronger, less pain on stairs, etc. Knees actually feel more stable now. SS really works the quads on those standing climbs. 49 this august too. geezer to the max.

Fixed and single.
    Hey thanks again guys! I just needed some re-asureance and was getting tired of people asking, "DAMN! Does that hurt?" Followed by the inevitable, "Ah youth" and "Its going to catch up to you." I personally dont know what they are talking about because I plan on living forever

cause it's fun
    Jan 2004
    I've had knee problems since...well for a long time. When I first started riding SS I had some pain, but I chalked it up to the same type of thing you get when you first start up a weight lifting routine. It slowly went away, and I do not seem to have as many issues with the knees.

So I would agree with bikecop. Similar situation, similar results.
    bus driver wanna be

mtbr member

me too

Quote Originally Posted by gofast
    I've had knee problems since...well for a long time. When I first started riding SS I had some pain, but I chalked it up to the same type of thing you get when you first start up a weight lifting routine. It slowly went away, and I do not seem to have as many issues with the knees.

So I would agree with bikecop. Similar situation, similar results.
    I never had an issue with my knee (left) from SS mtb'ing. But once I began riding fixie, I did feel the pain on the muscle that goes above my kneecap. It's not as sore now that I'm used to fixie.

My jaw does click a lot when I chew from a disslocation I had at a race back in 94, when I was 20.

mtbr member
    My left knee makes more noise than my 108pt engagement Hadley hub. The popping is from the two ACL/medial meniscus surguries over the past four years. But, I honestly feel like the strength I am building from riding my SS over the past few months is helping. My knee feels a great deal more stable than before I started riding the SS... CK
    Truffle Shuffle