Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cleat positioning for SSing - your thoughts

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  pisiket 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of cleat position on the shoe for SS riding.

I switched to clipless less than a year ago and have been riding with cleats in central position. I'm riding 2011 XTR pedals and like them. Didn't experience any discomfort.
I think the far forward the cleat is the more work the calfs have.

What cleat position do you find optimal for SS? What factors do you find important in determin cleat position?

Any thoughts are welcomed!

#11 ·
My cleats are all the way back on the SS after trying a few positions over a few years. For me whether its real or imagined it feels like I have more power on the upstroke which I like. With a lot of standing, it just feels better. I also have friends that are the complete opposite.

There is a ton of data out there to search on. Like everything some good data, some witch doctor crap. Stuff about "heel drop", how much, how little comes into play, etc.. I found riding the same trails with making slight adjustments was easier than a crash course on MTP joints, gastrocs and soleus muscles, etc..

#12 ·
Clipless noob here but I like mine farther back, not for power output but for balancing. Cleats too far forward felt like I was riding on my toes and made climbing out of the saddle and descending feel weird.

Not to mention I feel I use more of my legs with the cleats more central and farther back. The beauty of it is that it takes just a few seconds to slide your cleats around and then you can see if you like it!

#13 ·
Cleats too far forward felt like I was riding on my toes and made climbing out of the saddle and descending feel weird.
I've ridden that way for four years. I would feel my calves working too much and crampy. Then I've moved the cleats all the way back a year ago. I think it's better this way.

The beauty of it is that it takes just a few seconds to slide your cleats around and then you can see if you like it!
You say that because you are new to cleats! :) Try removing the screws after say a few months and then try using another position after that huge dent under the shoe. :) (I use Time pedals; maybe other cleats are easier to remove.)

Ali

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.