Cleat position - Time pedals - heels out- Mtbr.com
    BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Cleat position - Time pedals - heels out

I have noticed as of late that I like to turn my heels out as I ride. Feels better on the knees. Anyway my 959 pedals weren't big fans of this position and I found myself clipping out a lot. So I got some Times because of the great float. I still find that the pedals don't want me to turn my heels out. I figured the best solution would be tomount the cleat in the shoe slightly on an angle. The only problem is with the four holes int eh bottom of my shoe and the time cleat I can only mount it straight.

Any suggestions? Any ideas on the shoes. Running Nike right now.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJF
    I have noticed as of late that I like to turn my heels out as I ride. Feels better on the knees. Anyway my 959 pedals weren't big fans of this position and I found myself clipping out a lot. So I got some Times because of the great float. I still find that the pedals don't want me to turn my heels out. I figured the best solution would be tomount the cleat in the shoe slightly on an angle. The only problem is with the four holes int eh bottom of my shoe and the time cleat I can only mount it straight.

Suggestions? Go back to 959. I rocked the SPDs for >14 years (with hiccups of other styles), then I tried the new ATAC XS last year. Dug 'em initially because ingress and release were so smooth and consistent under grimy conditions. However, I wasn't able to get my heels out enough. The shoes (Dominators and Carnacs) I tried it with didn't allow the cleat to rotate enough, in fact, hardly at all. This really aggravated my knees and made really long rides (+3 hours) unbearable.

I went back to 959s, rotated the cleats, and I don't have as many knee problems.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

chips & bier

If you don't have mega cleat clearance,

959's are probably your best bet. The mechanism is solid, the bearings are very good, and the cleat is small, allowing for way more adjustment than Time or Eggies.

I still prefer times (mud clearance is VERY important to me), but as I tend to rotate my heels inward, I've found I just wear right through the softer Time clear material.

mtbr member

use an adjustable spanner ...

...to forcibly hold cleat rotated whilst you tighten bolts. i do tha same after a mashed right ankle left me a wee bitty squint

Recovering Weight Weenie
    platforms....

you said.. Member

There are 2 realase positions on the Times. 1 for 15 degree release, 1 for 10 degree. I think the star(*) cleat goes on the left .. or the right... I forget. Make sure you have the cleats on the correct shoes.

If that does not work, try a dremel (or file) on the holes in your shoe. Just a little play should effect the angle of release.
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

Members who have read this thread: 0