Cleaning/Lubing an EBB - procedure?- Mtbr.com
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Cleaning/Lubing an EBB - procedure?

I have an EBB-equpped Salsa El Mariachi that creaks from the BB area like a banshee. I understand that greasing or taping (with plumbers' tape) the EBB will keep the creaking down to a minimum.

Question(s) - to do this effectively, I'm assuming that I have to remove the EBB entirely from the BB shell. Yes or no? And, if yes, do I remove the non-drive side crankarm to do so? And, if yes, what tool do I need to do this? 8 MM wrench?

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    I just serviced my Niner EBB which was had more snap, crackle and pop than a bowl of Rice Krispies !!!

Removed, thoroughly cleaned and degreased everything, a light 220 grit sandpaper around the BB shell, cleaned again with alcohol.

Two wraps of PTFE tape around the EBB and refitted everything.

All is now quiet !!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob
    I just serviced my Niner EBB which was had more snap, crackle and pop than a bowl of Rice Krispies !!!

Removed, thoroughly cleaned and degreased everything, a light 220 grit sandpaper around the BB shell, cleaned again with alcohol.

Two wraps of PTFE tape around the EBB and refitted everything.

All is now quiet !!!
    OK, that's half the answer. Did you remove the non-drive side crankarm to get the EBB out entirely?

mtbr member
    You'll have to remove one crank arm to get the EBB out, no option.

What tools you need for this depends on the cranks you have. If they've got an 8mm allen bolt on them, they are probably square taper / ISIS / Octalink. In that case you will need an 8mm allen key, and the appropriate crankarm remover (1 for square taper, 1 for ISIS and Octalink).

If you have modern external bearings, you'll need a 5mm key, and likely another allen key, or a Shimano hollowtech tool. And a rubber mallet (NOT A HAMMER).

If this is all gibberish, take your bike to the LBS, and either have them do it, or buy the appropriate tools from them + a hearty thank you.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I'd rather do it at home, if possible, so I can re-do it whenever I need to. I have basic mechanic skills, and some tools. I have the Stylo SS crankset with the Gigapipe external BB.

Occasionally engagedů
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    I'd rather do it at home, if possible, so I can re-do it whenever I need to.
    Good idea and attitude -- it's not rocket science (if you have the right tools). I'd recommend removing your bottom bracket entirely before you remove the eccentric. It's much easier to get the EBB cleaned and greased if the crank isn't partially installed. And some of the creaks might being coming from the bb cups threaded into the EBB, so it's worth cleaning those too. That being said, about half the time I bull the EBB to get rid of the creaks and pops I leave the drive-side crank on -- I've gotten to know when the bb threads need cleaning or just the eccentric is dirty based upon the level and tenor of the noise!
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    I'm not sure what size keys the Gigapipe uses, so someone else needs to chime in. You probably won't need the mallet, as I originally said, since you don't need to remove the drive side. (unless the drive side prevents you from loosening the EBB)

You'll probably just need a couple allen keys. You should try to find the manual for the cranks. It's probably available from the manufacturer. The most difficult part will be getting the bearing pre-load right afterwards.

Peace & Love
    good question

my advice is to remove all parts from the aforementioned EBB frame, sell or give the frame to Goodwill, and buy a non EBB frame, problem solved

openwound
    The stylo uses an 8mm on the non-drive side. It's got a self-extractor (which is the larger, outer aluminum nut that you see). As you loosen the inner nut it pushes against the outer nut, thus extracting the crank arm from the spindle. Once that nut is undone and the non-drive crank arm is off, tap the end of the crank with your rubber mallet to drive the spindle/drive-side crank out/off. Them remove the ebb and work your magic.

Members who have read this thread: 0