Claws freewheel anxieties- Mtbr.com
    SUBLIM8er

Claws freewheel anxieties

So I put on my spanking new Claws freewheel last night and tooled around the alley on the maiden voyage of my newest SS project. Anyway, I noticed lots of rumbling and gurglings from the drivetrain somewhere. I put it in the stand and discovered that the freewheel has lots of rough vibrations when the wheel is spinning freely. It's bad enough that it vibrates the frame in the stand. It's as if the freewheel has absolutely no grease in it and it's binding up and damn that thing is LOUD. So my question is do I have a defective freewheel or is this normal functioning for a new unit and maybe it will smooth out over time? Also, any way I can lubricate or grease this thing?

King Pin

Wink

I just put a slightly used ACS Claws freewheel on my Chameleon. It keeps the chain from marring the pretty paint 'til I receive another ENO.

Not trying to be an arse, but IMO that is the only thing useful concerning this freewheel...coulda used a coat hanger or sumthin', I guess??

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The best way to lube an ACS FW is the remove it and soak it in motor oil over night.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

KgB
    SNGLSPD

the lazy way

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The best way to lube an ACS FW is the remove it and soak it in motor oil over night.
    lay your bike on its side and dribble some light oil on it as the wheel spins.
    Do this on both sides.Soaking is the best but this will get the job done.
    Shimano's are a little smoother and a lot quieter but not really any better.
    White Ind. are the way to go.
    Also you don't want a whole lot of chain tension it doesn't take much.
    I've been inside too long.

el cheapo
    Aug 2005
    Not to rain on anyones pricey parts parade but ACS freewheels have held their place for over a decade in the bmx racing world and I have never heard a single complaint about their quality whether it be initial or long term. I don't see how running one on a SS would be any different. Not denying the quality of more expensive freewheels as I've never used one but seriously, considering the price of the ACS freewheel, even if the quality is sub par, you get plenty for your money in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCordell
    Not to rain on anyones pricey parts parade but ACS freewheels have held their place for over a decade in the bmx racing world and I have never heard a single complaint about their quality whether it be initial or long term. I don't see how running one on a SS would be any different. Not denying the quality of more expensive freewheels as I've never used one but seriously, considering the price of the ACS freewheel, even if the quality is sub par, you get plenty for your money in comparison.
    BMX bikes are not mt bikes. SS mtbs are ridden for longer distances and in a wider variety of conditions.

Check some of the past discussions about ACS FWs:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=905628
    mtbtires.com

Am I getting too bulky?
    Don't succumb to the pear preassure! As long as they make the ACS Claws, I'll never buy anything that costs from four to seven times as much. Do they make noise? yeah, they do. BFD. My lbs wanted to sell me an ENO for $100, saying the ACS wasn't available. I threw a Shimano freeewheel I had laying around on there rather than giving in to the hype. Oh, I'm sure the ENO FW is a great FW, but so what. As people are finding out, they don't last forever either. As for all those pawls, I find it unlikely that more than three, maybe four, are engaged at any one time. Oh, as to why I needed a new freewheel? I figured that after a year of use hauling my 220 pound ass around, it was time. Another ACS is on order from Danscomp. The Shimano is nice, quiet even, but it's not an ACS. I kind of miss all the noises the ACS made.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikehigh
    ...Oh, I'm sure the ENO FW is a great FW, but so what. As people are finding out, they don't last forever either...
    I do not expect the ENO to last forever but I have yet to hear of someone wearing one out either. They are easily rebuild if needed, too.

...As for all those pawls, I find it unlikely that more than three, maybe four, are engaged at any one time...
    I KNOW my ENO never have more than three pawls engaged at once. Like every ENO except the trials version it "only" has three pawls.

My main reason for dumping the ASC and Shimano FWs for the ENO is I REALLY dislike having my FW seizing after every winter ride whether it is new or not.

If you do not ride in those conditions or do not care ACS FWs are fine, no matter what your pears (I like bartletts!) say.
    mtbtires.com

Am I getting too bulky?
    roh-roh, i spelled peers rong, Maybe the frozen wastelands I ride in aren't enough to sieze up a freewheel. But, they seem to work just fine, Maybe it's that like the rest of my SS, I never do any maintenance on it. I guess it's tempting to lube the ACS freewheels, but they seem to work best for me with no attention at all. Lube is overrated. A crunchy freewheel doesn't sieze up.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

Cubicle Fugitive
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCordell
    Not to rain on anyones pricey parts parade but ACS freewheels have held their place for over a decade in the bmx racing world and I have never heard a single complaint about their quality whether it be initial or long term.
    Is that because everyone switched to > $200 cassette hubs (Profile, etc.)?

cause it's fun
    Jan 2004
    When I was racing BMX (20+ years) I changed out my ACS freewheel twice a year. Also as Shiggy mentioned I didn't put nearly as many miles on the BMX bike as compared to the MTB. Plus the MTB is ridden through much more adverse conditions.

I run a 15t ACS on the flip flop when riding some of the more flat limestone paths around here. Gone through three of them so far this year. They seem to last around 200 -300 miles (give or take) before needing to be replaced. I'll never forget the first one...hammering up a short 8% grade, and pop, then the pain of Mr. Willy and his two neighbors hitting the stem. As soon as you stat hearing the rythematic knock replace it!

On the trails I normally run a 17t ENO. After 2 years and well over 4000 miles of dirt, sand, snow, and grime, no problems.
    bus driver wanna be