Chrome Bags and commuting lifestyle- Mtbr.com

Oct 2002

Chrome Bags and commuting lifestyle

Anyone know where I can find a killer deal on a Chrome Citizen bag?... Or, anyone have a coupon for supergo? Any 20% off things?

I am broke as a mofo and school is killing me... and after reading that long thread about a cycling lifestyle and commuting, I started thinking I had to do the same. Now, I need to get a bag...

But, this is going to be a cognitive decision... and choice. I have a Volvo 850R which I love, but I hate, absolutely hate driving over the Bay Bridge every day to go to Berkeley.

So... it is time to ride a bike to BART and then bike to campus...

I am really into the Citizen size. As, I don't think I'll need much bigger, but I am torn between the Metropolis and the Citizen. But, again, if I need to go and carry larger things I can still drive. And, mostly it will be just books and maybe a laptop if I get one.

I am really into the all black Chrome bag, the one on the discount page that they are out of stock of. The one all black, with black buckle... but silver is fine. But, all black on the bag is neccessary.

Any ideas?
    Thanks guys. Wish me luck. It's going to be fun fighting yuppies for space on the trains... Anyone remember when bikes are not allowed? They need to have an always open bike car... argh.

indigosky

I love my Metropolis

it's the best bag I've ever used, and I've used a lot of them. Anyway, I think Supergo has/had them recently on sale. Check with them.

Needed Less ~ Did More
    Quote Originally Posted by donkekus
    I am really into the Citizen size. As, I don't think I'll need much bigger, but I am torn between the Metropolis and the Citizen. But, again, if I need to go and carry larger things I can still drive. And, mostly it will be just books and maybe a laptop if I get one.
    I can't help with the "where to get one cheap" but I would reccomend the "Metropolis" size, I have had mine over the last 6mths and it has been great. Even when it is empty (wallet/keys/phone) it does not get in the way and you can fit plenty in it for a weekend away :-)

SSP
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

"Mr. Britannica"
    ebags carries chrome, and there are usually coupons to be found in the usual places

Mar 2004

cheaper alternatives

Chrome bags are nice, but expensive, and are designed more for yuppie bike messenger poseur types. I have a REAL NYC bike messenger bag that used to be made and sold by real NYC bike messengers. It's larger, more plain, and was way cheaper than the yuppie versions. Sadly I forget who made it. Maybe google knows. I know that the bags you see on the backs of real bike messengers are typically not Chromes.
    For some who knows his/her way around a sewing machine, and has access to cordura nylon, nylon straps, and fastek nylon buckles, such a bag would not be a huge project to assemble.

34N 118W

sucks to be me

man, being a yuppie blows. I have just been informed that my Chrome was designed for "poseur types". Great. But it matches my Prada shoes and has a cute little holder thingy on the strap for my cell phone. So it stays. As for actually hauling stuff, well, that's what mexican housekeepers are for.

gotta run, I'm on my laptop/WiFi in Starbucks and my latte needs a little warm-up.

ciao-
    HW

Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    Chrome bags are nice, but expensive, and are designed more for yuppie bike messenger poseur types. I have a REAL NYC bike messenger bag that used to be made and sold by real NYC bike messengers. It's larger, more plain, and was way cheaper than the yuppie versions. Sadly I forget who made it. Maybe google knows. I know that the bags you see on the backs of real bike messengers are typically not Chromes.
    For some who knows his/her way around a sewing machine, and has access to cordura nylon, nylon straps, and fastek nylon buckles, such a bag would not be a huge project to assemble.

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    man, being a yuppie blows. I have just been informed that my Chrome was designed for "poseur types". Great. But it matches my Prada shoes and has a cute little holder thingy on the strap for my cell phone. So it stays. As for actually hauling stuff, well, that's what mexican housekeepers are for.

gotta run, I'm on my laptop/WiFi in Starbucks and my latte needs a little warm-up.

ciao-
    HW

But are those Prada shoes spd compatible? I figured you for a Ferragamo kinda guy. Sorry.

hispanic mechanic

GREATLY disagree...

Dude, I don't know what you're background is, but I doubt it's working from the saddle. I worked as a messenger in Denver (where Chrome started out,) and I can assure you that plenty of real, honest-to-goodness bike messengers use Chromes. If you want to point the "it's made for yuppies" finger at anyone, it might be Timbuk2, through no fault of their own.Messenger bags just happen to have gotten popular among non-cyclists for some reason, and I don't blame any company for making a buck on silly trends. This is not a dig on Timbuk2 bags, as that's what I used as a messenger, and still use it everyday.
    Chrome makes some kinda goofy, non-messenger bags, but they're still bike focused, and I assure you that they still make a bag that's solid and durable enough to take the worst of what bumpin' packages for a living dishes out.
    As far as what bags messengers use from one city to the next, a lot of that depends on peer pressure, trends, and local availability/"hometown pride." I got bagged on (pun intended) by other messengers in Denver for using a Timbuk2, 'cause I wasn't supporting the locals.
    Not tryin' to start a flame war here, but I do know of which I speak, and I'm not sure you do.

the los
    Support your local trail organization.

www.swimba.org

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    Dude, I don't know what you're background is, but I doubt it's working from the saddle. I worked as a messenger in Denver (where Chrome started out,) and I can assure you that plenty of real, honest-to-goodness bike messengers use Chromes. If you want to point the "it's made for yuppies" finger at anyone, it might be Timbuk2, through no fault of their own.Messenger bags just happen to have gotten popular among non-cyclists for some reason, and I don't blame any company for making a buck on silly trends. This is not a dig on Timbuk2 bags, as that's what I used as a messenger, and still use it everyday.
    Chrome makes some kinda goofy, non-messenger bags, but they're still bike focused, and I assure you that they still make a bag that's solid and durable enough to take the worst of what bumpin' packages for a living dishes out.
    As far as what bags messengers use from one city to the next, a lot of that depends on peer pressure, trends, and local availability/"hometown pride." I got bagged on (pun intended) by other messengers in Denver for using a Timbuk2, 'cause I wasn't supporting the locals.
    Not tryin' to start a flame war here, but I do know of which I speak, and I'm not sure you do.

the los

Word.

BTW, your new frame is gorgeous.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Needed Less ~ Did More
    Wow, I'm a yuppie!

Stuck in the 80's anyone

SSP
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

try driving your car less
    Anyone know where I can find a killer deal on a Chrome Citizen bag?... Or, anyone have a coupon for supergo? Any 20% off things?

I am broke as a mofo and school is killing me... and after reading that long thread about a cycling lifestyle and commuting, I started thinking I had to do the same. Now, I need to get a bag...

But, this is going to be a cognitive decision... and choice. I have a Volvo 850R which I love, but I hate, absolutely hate driving over the Bay Bridge every day to go to Berkeley.

So... it is time to ride a bike to BART and then bike to campus...

I am really into the all black Chrome bag, the one on the discount page that they are out of stock of. The one all black, with black buckle... but silver is fine. But, all black on the bag is neccessary.

Any ideas?
    Thanks guys. Wish me luck. It's going to be fun fighting yuppies for space on the trains... Anyone remember when bikes are not allowed? They need to have an always open bike car... argh.

I did this commute for a while (bike to BART, then ride it to Berkeley). Start out with a cheap backpack to see if the commute is doable. After a few weeks of it, invest in what you feel is right for the task. It will become more obvious after actually doing it, in terms of what you need and how much to spend. There is a huge personal preference factor here.
    I personally dont like messenger bags for commuting. For the money, I'll take an Ortlieb pannier anyday.

edit: what did I actually do? a cheap-o backpack borrowed from a friend, but really just commuted with as little stuff as possible. I left everything at work. I was a windsurfing instructor at Berkeley Marina for a while. I ate Calamari Burgers at Spanger's Fish House for lunch!
    Last edited by jh_on_the_cape; 12-08-2004 at 10:19 AM.
    Only boring people get bored.

Jan 2004
    Dude, I don't know what you're background is, but I doubt it's working from the saddle. I worked as a messenger in Denver (where Chrome started out)
    Who'd you work for in Denver? ServiceFirst, by chance? (ie, them's that's from Chicago?)

I wholly agree with you. My Chrome is the schiznit, and, though I've never messenger'd, I log quite a few miles with it per week with school books and whatnot...weather permitting, unfortunately, and things have been sour out here until recently. It's a black-buckle, too - an original! Sadly, it's getting smaller by the day, and I think I'll be trading up to a silver-buckle pretty soon. (Maybe they'll dismantle my current bag and transplant the strap for me?)

On a slight aside, Timnuk2s are more as you've described, but who can fault them (or Chrome, or anyone else) for running a business? Capitalist pigs, damn them...

indigosky

Hey Los...

I worked as a messenger in Denver

the los
    Hey Los:

Who did you work for in Denver? That's where I grew up, and I worked for Speedy in 93-94, with a guy named Dennis who was doing dispatch. Hated those damn blue shirts! Are you from D-town?

Are your pants fresh?

I wish

I could have calamari burgers for lunch. No such luck in downtown Denver.
    Mountain squid?
    I'm no courier, but I commute/commmuted (school/work) with an old-style green Timbuk2 bag I've had since '93? I contemplated replacing it because the velcro is shot, but decided to wait until it blew up until I replace it. Of the bags I looked at, the chrome bags were nice (used to be local), and RELoad makes a nice bag. Sometimes I wish I had a slightly bigger bag so I could fit more crap in it, but as it is it still holds a lot of stuff. More than I should be carrying. I wonder if my years of over-the-shoulder-bag usage has contributed any to my back problems. Hmm...
    I'm still technically a yuppie by the 80's definition.
    But I'm not terribly professional.

FP

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    Chrome bags are nice, but expensive, and are designed more for yuppie bike messenger poseur types. I have a REAL NYC bike messenger bag that used to be made and sold by real NYC bike messengers. It's larger, more plain, and was way cheaper than the yuppie versions. Sadly I forget who made it.

Who?... do you mean Manhattan Portage? from NYC.
    Not plain enougn?... there's always CourierWare in Boston.

Want the most 'ultilitarious' messenger bag? O Canada, O Canada!

Uhh. darn... does that mean my Crumpler makes me a yuppie or metro?... let's see...
    - bad hair... screw you if you dare rub "PRODUCT" into my scalp
    - great chef (one step closer to so called 'metro status')...
    - ... I'll be fffked if I can keep my own kitchen anal-retentively clean
    - chic furniture... no
    - no good looking 'fashion' sense... I like my T-shirts and I'm no fan of denim, softie leather shoes... no, tough shoes for me thanks just bloody practical.

If a Chrome bags makes donkekus more of a yuppie why does he/she even bother riding?
    Oh this pedalling thingo too hard and pointless, oh my feet are hurting, oh my Paul Smith jeans are getting torn up by the chainring, oh my Hugo Boss shoes are getting chewed up by these cage pedals, oh I don't like these bumps you call potholes, oh this, oh that, oh, oh, oh
    Why ride?, Hell why even walk?, why don't we all just scoote around on Segway Human Transporters, Why even bother with steering our Segways, let's all get a custom chaffeured Segways!

Oh Chaffeur, will be a dear and organised herbel tea when I arrive at the country club for my day spa?
    __________________________________________________ ____
    I know I went overkill on the sarcasm...

Oh bulC why does a Chrome messenger bag make someone who wants to carry a sh!tload of stuff a more of a yuppie bike messenger yuppie type?
    Last edited by jonowee; 12-08-2004 at 10:56 AM.

hispanic mechanic

Shamrock...

Quote Originally Posted by indigosky
    Hey Los:

Who did you work for in Denver? That's where I grew up, and I worked for Speedy in 93-94, with a guy named Dennis who was doing dispatch. Hated those damn blue shirts! Are you from D-town?
    indigosky & SDizzle- Rode around in the green Shamrock shirt. Not originally from D-Town, but I lived there for several years. Moved here (Sandy Eggo) from there in 2002.

Brian- Thanks! I can't wait to get it! Should be here towards the end of the month, assuming the fork and head tube badge are done in time. Then, it's all about getting her broken in for Ol' Pueblo...

donkeyus- Sorry about the hijacking. Get the largest bag you can afford. The Kremlin might be too big. Maybe. I've always thought it's best to have empty space rather than not enough.
    jh brings up a good point, though. Messenger bags aren't for everyone while commuting. The design of single strap over one shoulder is great for quick access, not as great for ergonomics. If you're going relatively short distances and need to get stuff in and out of the bag quickly and often, it's the only way to go, in my opinion. However, a lot of people find it uncomfortable over longer distances with heavier payloads (like books!) The other option I'd suggest would be a messenger pack http://www.chromebags.com/messengerpacks.html
    Hope this helps,

the los
    the los
    Support your local trail organization.

www.swimba.org

"Mr. Britannica"
    Spangers? My gawd, been at least 20 years....

Mountain squid? How 'bout oysters? Is Rocky Mtn Diner still there? Of course, it's prob still over-yuppified....

Lastly, there was a bag comin' outta Philly that I saw awhile back- can't remember the name now dammit. Reload?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

REload

Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad

Mountain squid? How 'bout oysters? Is Rocky Mtn Diner still there? Of course, it's prob still over-yuppified....

Lastly, there was a bag comin' outta Philly that I saw awhile back- can't remember the name now dammit. Reload?

Reload is the bag your thinking of someone else metioned it above. being a philly person I'm a reload person myself. I don't like to admit it but I am a it of a yuppie. I have 2 bags ones reload and the other is a vinyl Schwin. I may be biased but Reload is the way to go in my mind. Call Roland at the store he's a cool cat.
    http://www.reloadbags.com/index.html

Jan 2004

Do The BART Man!

Hey donkeus,
    Know your commute well did it for MANY years (ate at Spenger's many times too!) -now doing the esssefff-to-Corte Madera ride. I was a Timbuk2 fan for many years (still am) but got my first Chrome bag a little over a year ago (they are now in SF on Folsom @ 7th -they sell stuff there too) and it is great. Very comfortable strap and easy in and out with the seatbelt buckle. I rode the other night in the wind (BIG wind!!) and rain and my stuff was totally dry after a 20 mile drenching.

I have a Kremlin for the big days and a Citizen for around town. Kremlin is HUGE but it has the stabilizer strap that can go around the waist as well as the traditional under the pit connection. Helpful for awkward heavy and dense loads (i.e.: books). That feature is not on the Citizen but is on the Metropolis. If I did it again I'd get the Metropolis. A great balance of capacity, size (on the back) and features. You mentioned a laptop and they make a great little padded 'envelope' sized for laptops (I got one of them too -stinkin' "yuppie" that IM) I'd also look at there two-strap backpack styles too. Cool stuff that more and more "real" messengers seem to be using. They ain't cheap for sure but amortize well and as "They" say 'ya gets what ya pay for'. They're all at the Folsom St. HQ so check them out -cool folk there.

As for the 'yuppiness' of the product...well, I sure do see a LOT of messengers in SF using 'em (that'd be "real" messengers -whatever that means) and like most things that are initially on the fringe are being adopted by the mainstream (whatever THAT is) -they're in the Supergoperformancenashbar oligarchy for-dogs-sake so draw your own conclusions-but it doesn't negate the quality and utility of the product. Yeah there are others out there (the aforementioned Timbuk2, Crumpler, etc.) that are nice too so YMMV but I dig mine enough to have two -and that's with a bunch of Timbuk2 bags also. My "real" messenger days are long over -back then I used a Zo bag (another SF company) that served well back in the 80s -still got it too- but time rolls on and products evolve.

Oh, and the commute. Not sure where you live in the city or time you travel, but if you're running the opposite of the commute hours (am 6:30 -9:00, pm 3:30 - 7:00 I think) go into the Embarcadero station (last stop heading east) and you can now go onto any car as long as it's not the first car -or so the rules say. It's actually a nice ride to go to Cal I'd get off at Ashby and ride from there as the downtown Berkeley stop is nutty with tons 'o people to negotiate. FWIW.

Maybe I'll see you at Critical Mass one day (my Chrome bag is big and Camo "urban combat riding"-talk about yuppiness!).

Good luck and enjoy the ride -it WAY beats driving that commute.
    -one day we may even be able to ride over the new bridge...oh, ok.

ssRR

Jan 2004
    My timbuk2 ding dong whatever carries 2 cases beers, albeit kind of heavy and hurty, what else would you need to carry?
    It also has a little pouch that I carry my phone in so I can talk loudly about myself while riding no handed, buzzing joggers and dog walkers.

fwiw - I've got a Baily Works, but I usually just chuck it in my Wald Basket.

Jen Green
    May 2004
    Hey there...I did an 8 mile commute every day here in Philly for 2 1/2 years before I moved way out to the country. I used a Timbuk2 bag in all kinds of weather.....pelting rain, snow, never missed a day....and my stuff was always dry and protected. For the money it's worth it....I still use the same bag. My husband loves his Chrome.

good luck.....hope you find what you need......commuting by bike was great....you'll love it. I wish I could still ride but 50 miles one way is a bit much! I'm a train goer now....... sigh.

mtbr member

I have a Chrome

Disclaimer: I am not nor have I ever been a messenger. Just a sometime bike commuter who also likes the way a messenger bag holds stuff diagonally across one's body.

I have a Chrome Citizen bag (Grey with a red stripe). I like it a lot for my needs. The padded strap is comfortable and the tensioning system works great on and off the bike. The only dink I could give it is I have whacked myself in the head and knocked few things around with that heavy buckle. Not a big issue as I have a hard head.

I think if I was going to carry medium to small books and a laptop, I would get this size. Add anything else, I might want to get a Metropolis.

Jen Green
    May 2004
    hello....just found this....a today onlt special on Timbuk2 bags- at least check it out:

http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/47...t=OUTLET_HP_LD

60%off the medium size bag they sell.

Category Winner

I liked my Chrome, but...

I am small and it covered my entire back. In the winter it was nice, but in the summer it was too damn hot. I am a messenger, and I commute to work. I ended up getting a Pac and it is the best bag I have used yet. If it wasn't for the coverage issue the Chrome was an awesome bag. It is easier to get large items in the Pac, but who commutes with file boxes on thier back. If your not super skinny, save the money and get a Chrome.
    Disclaimer: I did break a few ribs landing on the buckle once, but it was a small price to pay for a bag that would take such huge loads.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrodl
    Reload is the bag your thinking of someone else metioned it above. being a philly person I'm a reload person myself. I don't like to admit it but I am a it of a yuppie. I have 2 bags ones reload and the other is a vinyl Schwin. I may be biased but Reload is the way to go in my mind. Call Roland at the store he's a cool cat.
    https://www.reloadbags.com/index.html
    R (oland) E (llie) Load.......w3rd:

BLING BLING gold

got mine a few months ago. blows away the Timbuk2 i had prior. mine wasn't cheap, at $192, but it's exactly what i wanted, and Ellie is very cool.

and you know, it's not the brand that makes it yuppie, it's the people who wear them down by their waist that makes differentiates between yuppie or not. in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm not a messenger, but I commute every day in the saddle. Buy something big that will keep your crap dry and that suspends the load well.........

I've got a PAC Designs Deluxe (from BC eh). Big, comfortable and bombproof.

http://www.pacdesigns.com/deluxe.htm

1GB
    Last edited by 1GearBeer; 12-09-2004 at 08:37 AM. Reason: needs link
    Porrick

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I'm going to Rocky Mtn Diner for luch today!

Chicken Fried Chicken yo! OT a bit but,
    My commute is too far to wear a messenger bag so I use a BOB. My wife says I look like a geek, but I have tried all types of bags and this way was the most comfortable and practical for all the crap I have to carry for work. Plus I think they are a great way to train with big loads.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by mateomtb
    Chicken Fried Chicken yo! OT a bit but,
    My commute is too far to wear a messenger bag so I use a BOB. My wife says I look like a geek, but I have tried all types of bags and this way was the most comfortable and practical for all the crap I have to carry for work. Plus I think they are a great way to train with big loads.

Hmmm, City Park w/the museum in the background, or somwhere in Cherry Creek?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Go west young man,

Hmmm, City Park w/the museum in the background, or somwhere in Cherry Creek?
    North Table Mountain, Golden.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

here's one

just saw this on Craigslist
    http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/51716268.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I got a bag from the Mountain Equipment Coop in Vancouver. Check it out, only $52 us:
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1102617976963

[IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Aug 2004

Gregory

I have an old gregory messenger bag from the late 90s that is bomb proof and water proof unfortunately i dont think they make it any more if you can find one theyre great imo

trail projectile

Chrome Bags and commuting lifestyle

I own a 20+ year old CourierWare bag.

Perhaps the best product of any kind that I have ever purchased.

Literally a bag of holding. Unreal.

I use it all the time. Always have.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    I picked up a Chrome Citizen for a great price on ebay. It was orange so for "poseurs" it was maybe not a desirable color combo but for someone who commutes by bike everyday I saw a brighter color as advantageous, safety wise.

Previously I had a Timbuk 2 bag and a 20+ year old "in-house" mesenger bag from Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative.

The EBC bag wore out, but I had no complaints. The Timbuk 2 was okay but strap adjustment (or lack of) made it a pain to get on and off and the size I had (able to hold a 15" Macbook and a days clothes) was a bit of a squeeze.

After having a Citizen for 9 months now it is without a doubt the best of the bunch. Holds the laptop, change of clothes (jeans, tee, sweater), lunch and still has room to stuff in a rain jacket if required. I've ridden it in all weathers and it does live up to it's reputation. Contents always stay dry, the bag stays put when riding and the easy strap adjustment means it's always comfortable to wear. The bags not pretty anymore but it is still bombproof and I anticipate that it will be for many years to come.

And the reason I use a messenger bag and not a backpack: My right shoulder is held together by a steel plate and 13 screws, the pressure caused by a backpack strap is not comfortable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    FWIW, I had a Chrome messenger bag, then a Mission Workshop messenger bag but now use a Mission Workshop backpack. I think Mission Workshop's designs and quality are a cut above Chrome. I also think that a backpack is a lot more comfortable than a messenger bag. If you are po, then Craigslist is your friend!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    A 9 year old thread brought back to life that has absolutely nothing to do with single speed mountain bikes.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    A 9 year old thread brought back to life that has absolutely nothing to do with single speed mountain bikes.
    I never even noticed the date. My bad for posting, apologies as resurrecting a corpse.