A Christmas Story- Mtbr.com
    Low Rep Count

A Christmas Story

So, I will start by giving a little history here. A couple of weeks ago, we bought a new TV and said that it would be our gift to each other (wife and I). That is all good. It really is more about our kids at this point.

So, I posted this in my blog but I realize a lot of you may not read blogs so I figured I would share it with you guys here. The bottom line is that I think there is still a little Christmas spirit out there. Either that or I was just lucky!

So, I got out for a ride on Christmas Eve and then ended up meeting up with my wife to get the kids so she and her aunt could go do some running aorund. Basically, I had to stick my bike in her truck so that the kids would have somewhere to sit in my car. During this process crap was everywhere. I had to pull out the plastic I had in my car so that I could line the back of her truck. All of my riding clothes were in the front seat and I told my daughter to go ahead and move it around as needed. I got everyone in the car and started going about life.

I didn't get to ride yesterday simply due to going out of town. Today however, I got out. I had changed my clothes and started looking for my Goretx jacket but could not find it. Then I started looking for the camelbak but all I could find was one of my gloves. I frickn tore the house and cars apart but could not find the crap. I was ticked off!

I ended up going on a ride without it. I bolted up a water bottle and left. When I got home my wife asked if I called the large gym that was where we swapped everyone out at. I told her no and she said she would swing by there since she was headed over there. I pretty much chunked it up to a loss and headed out to performance to replace all the little crap that was in the bag. While I was at the store my wife called and said that they found it! Can you believe that crap? My bright frickn yellow Gortex jacket was there, the gloves (Perl Lobsters), camel back, one other glove. While that is all great, someone did actually open up the entire bag and take everything out of it. They took all the tools I had in it but left the tube and pump.??? I can only guess that the person was not a rider. I mean the jacket, gloves and camelbak were worth more than the tools! Don't get me wrong, I was quite happy but at the same time disappointed.

I am annoyed that the stuff got left outside the car. I know I did not take these items out of the car and put everything I took out back in because it was right behind the car. My daughter said that she had set somethings outside the car so the seat would slide up so she could get in the backseat. Then my other daughter who was climbing around simply went through the drivers side and closed the door. We then left. I never saw anything on the ground. Just ridiculous. I managed not to yell at anyone but myself for this!

The good news is that I took my $25 Performance card and bought a new multi tool, pressure gauge, chainring bolt tool, CO2 cartridge and adapter, tube, tire levers. I still ended up coming out of pocket for about $18. I am greatful that I had the card but irritated that I had to spend it on crap I already had. At least I got to use some of my Performance points as well so I guess it all worked out in the end.

In the end all was good. I got to ride and I got my stuff back...most of it, but was blessed enough to have the funding to replace what was lost.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sorry to hear that sucks, but better to find some of it than nothing at all! Don't be mad at your daughters (just silently write them out of your will and put IMBA as the beneficery instead).

Low Rep Count
    Its all good. I am sure I screwed up a few things when I was a kid. It all worked out. I went by Sears yesterday and replaced the 15mm socket and stubby ratchet as well as picked up a new set of ball point hex keys (to replace the 2.5mm that was in the bag). These were the last tools I needed to buy to replace everything that was in the bag. In the end, I think I was out of pocket about $40 or so.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    I heart SS Christmas stories At least you have new stuff now.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

mtbr member
    Haha, sometimes we expect everything to go well on Christmas day, when the opposite just happens.

Sometimes we just wonder where Santa gets his funding from

Low Rep Count
    Honestly, the stuff I lost was not that old! I bought the pressure gauge about 2 months ago, CO2's well I guess that was a new cartridge as well, the ratchet was relatively new as I bought it because of its size and weight since it was going in my bag. For the most part, I pretty much bought everything for the pack this past summer when I started riding an SS. At this point, I am glad that I have rebuilt my pack but it really did feel like I was repurchasing everything I had just bought. That part of it sucks but at least I got the big dollar items back so that is good.

Low Rep Count
    I know where Mrs. Clause gets her funding from so I know there was $$ there! I think she was just burned out with all the running around and did not make it back out to get the new bag for me. Sucks because we were at REI when I found one on clearance for $47 but did not buy it because I knew it was the only thing I told them I wanted. I checked at the store yesterday and they are all gone! Now I will have to drop around $120 for a new Mule when I get around to it. At this point, i will continue to use the one I have and the wife will have to worry about getting one if she wants to use one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Where i live, there isn't the possibility to ride due to the weather. I wish I had your luck.
    True North custom chromoly SS Rigid 29er. FUN+

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    I know where Mrs. Clause gets her funding from so I know there was $$ there! I think she was just burned out with all the running around and did not make it back out to get the new bag for me. Sucks because we were at REI when I found one on clearance for $47 but did not buy it because I knew it was the only thing I told them I wanted. I checked at the store yesterday and they are all gone! Now I will have to drop around $120 for a new Mule when I get around to it. At this point, i will continue to use the one I have and the wife will have to worry about getting one if she wants to use one.

I would love to replace my 09 Mule with the new 2011 ones! Reason being Camelbak has unleashed their newest Quicklink system reservoir which is not only lighter but also tightens in just a quarter turn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAJda3pVweY&feature=fvw

Sorry a bit off-topic here, but thought it had a relation or two to "Christmas", which is about sharing

Low Rep Count
    Nope, that is exactly why I want the new version! I have the original style MULE w/ the old bladder right now which is a pita to clean and fill. It only has a 1.5-2" opening that is more of a cork style closure so I definitely want the larger opening. I also like the pack more itself and it appears to have more pockets in it which will come in handy since I am carrying more SHI7 with me since my wife has no clue what to carry or how to use it. I will get one soon enough. Perhaps for my birthday (if I can wait that long).

On a good note, my new i-link cable set just showed up at the office! Won't be putting them on until the spring though as I am waiting to bolt on all my new light weight stuff at one time. Just collecting right now. Should be getting my new seatpost clamp, KCNC bar ends, KCNC rotors and some ti rotor bolts showing up over the next week or so. I guess, I am enjoying my own Christmas at this point.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I was thinking maybe the new pack would help my lazyness in re-filling the bladder(Especially during periods where I ride day after day and have to blister my hands wrenching open the cap! Okay slight exxageration but you get my point)

Nice Christmas you've got there. Unfortunately this Christmas Santa put on some weight on my bike. Anyway, be sure to complete this by 5th January . 12th Day of Christmas. Still counts !

Low Rep Count
    Well, I doubt it will be finished by 1/5. I just don't have that sort of funding. I have still have quite a few little things left to buy. Granted aside from my brake levers everything else is pretty cheap but just like the weight savings adds up, so do the small costs. I will probably not order anything unitl Jan hits at this point and I am hoping it is my levers so I can get them out of the way. I will then be moving on to the following:

a new chain
    lower carbon cradle for Thompson post (actually for my KCNC post)
    ti Caliper bolt kit
    carbon stem cap w/ gold bolt
    gold water bottle screws
    gold chain ring bolts
    Tires (Schwalbe Rocket Rons???)
    More Stans Sealant (going to try the conversion again to tubless)

There are more things on my wish list if you will but this is about all I am worried about right now and will then start focusing on a new frame. Hopefully I will manage to stay in line and save my money all summer to buy something really nice come next fall. Thinking something custom steel (Coconino) or perhaps something Ti. Worst case is a used GT Zaskar or Schwinn Home Grown Team frame, both are light alu frames but will give a little more harsh ride. What ever it ends up being, it will be black when I am done with it. Potentially ceramic coated!

Low Rep Count
    I saw this picture some time ago in another thread and saved it on my computer. I know it is a 29er but I love the frame and would make the switch to 29er if going to this frame. But knowing that it is a custom, I am sure I could have it made for a 26er as well. Just love the lines of it and it is steel! I'm sure I could pick what steel I wanted as well so I could still get a relatively light steel frame that will last forever!

Members who have read this thread: 0