Christmas is coming early!!!- Mtbr.com
    Low Rep Count

Christmas is coming early!!!

Well, I'm hooked just like the rest of you! I spent $478 on my GT Peace maybe a month ago and have now blown over twice as much on new parts for it in addition to what I stole of my XC bike!

Just put an order in to my buddies shop for him to build me a set of wheels

Velocity VXC rims in black
    DT spokes/Nipples in black
    WI Eno hubs w/ Trials freewheel

Total for wheels is about $700

Picked up an XTR (M960) w/ bb and 2 rings for too much money!

Ordered a new 32t Chainwheel from Homebrewed for $35

Ordered Avid BB7's from local shop w/ wheels for $120 (don't want to deal w/ hydrol.)

Ordered new no name carbon stem and bars for $130

All I need to get at the moment is a new set of tires and a seatpost.

I just happened to be on the Cane Creek site last night and noted that my Thudbuster post apparently falls into their recall category. Hell, I have had this thing for at least 8 years now and never had a problem with it but it looks like I will be sending it back to them to let them do their repair as they call it. Gotta look into that today.

Bottom line is that I am way stoked and am going to be dieing from anticipation over the next week or two until all my presents show up!!!! Sorry just had to share.

The next and hopefully last big purchase will be a new shock so I can stick my psylo back on my XC bike and have something lighter on the SS but that probably won't happen until this winter once I get my play fund built back up! Yep, I'm broke again!
    Last edited by 1SPD; 05-18-2010 at 11:02 AM.

Low Rep Count
    Basically all that is left from the original Peace is the frame and seatpost clamp! Just sad!

WNC Native
    Nothing sad about that, it's just part of the cycle!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Low Rep Count
    I hear you. It won't surprise me if I end up with some sort of Ti frame with in the next 2 years!

Low Rep Count
    Man, all I can say is WOW!

I got some of my parts over the past couple of days so of course I swapped them out ASAP.

Swapping the cranks saved quite a bit of weight. I went from a cheap Truvativ Blaze SS crank w/ Howitzer BB a full XTR set up. The XTR w/ its bb weighed in at about 675 grams and the Blaze weighed about 1075g. Just rediculous, what a piece of crap! (not just because of the weight mind you)

I also got in my carbon bar and stem. I swapped out an old Easton CT2 and Thompson stem for the new Ebay carbon ones (Merek) and saved about 60 grams there even though I went to a 31.8 from the standard 25... sizing.

Swapped out my Tektro brakes for some Avid BB7's. Love the adjustability on these and have had no problems what so ever. Not sure of any weight savings and really don't care about that here. Just knowing they work better and are easy to adjust is well worth any weight change imo.

Picked up my hand built wheels yesterday from Just Riding Along bike shop (one of the little sponsors that pop up on the board here from time to time-their add pops up anyway). Just awesome. I don't think much compares to a hand built set of wheels.

Velocity VXC disc rims (black)
    Sapin (spelling??) spokes in black
    Silver nipples
    Polished White Industries Eno hubs w/disc
    Trials 18t free wheel

The wheels are awesome and stiff! The free wheel is definitely loud but not annoying. I like it loud anyway which is one of the reasons I was interested. Between that and it being bomb proof! I can't say enough for Travis buiding experience and quality! Monster props to him and his shop!!!!

So, now all I am waiting for is for my Ti seat post to show up. After that, well all that is left is to upgrade my shock to something that is disc specific and more modern (currently running my old RS Psylo-works great but is quite heavy compared to shocks out there today) and maybe getting a Ti frame (maybe next year on that one...need lots of money to make that happen)

Got a ride in on the new wheels yesterday and had a blast! Sounds like a chainsaw ripping through the woods when coasting!!!!
    Last edited by 1SPD; 05-26-2010 at 10:56 AM.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    no pictures?
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Low Rep Count
    I know!!! I will get them up this evening. Yesterday was just hectic as hell. I had 20 minutes to swap tires, install rim strips and brake rotors before having to take off to get my kid to a soccer scrimmage at 5. Then while on the ride after leaving her at the field with the team they all loaded up and went to a different field some 5 miles away! WTF??? After getting over there and linking up with the wife I had to take my other daughter back towards the house (another 5 mile trip) to swim practice at 7. At 7:45 I had to roll out to the gym for a training appt (personal trainer part time) and finally got back home at 9:30! It sucked. I didn't even have time to sit there and stare at my bike enjoying all my new stuff! So tonight I will shoot some pics of it all.

Low Rep Count
    Oh, I am also waiting for a new chain ring from Home Brewed! Currently the XTR crank simply has its stock 32t ring on it but it has ramps and pins and what not so I ordered a SS specific chain ring a week or two ago!

Christmas Rocks!

Single Speed Nation
    I was thinking about maybe putting some Spinergy Xyclone wheels on my Peace. But then I found out about the $799 US (more in CAD) price and decided to put a hold on it.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    Oh, I am also waiting for a new chain ring from Home Brewed! Currently the XTR crank simply has its stock 32t ring on it but it has ramps and pins and what not so I ordered a SS specific chain ring a week or two ago!

Christmas Rocks!
    Sounds like it's Christmas all year long. In a couple years you'll have a very expensive titanium GT Peace... incognito.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Low Rep Count
    I hear you man. My wheels were definitely cheaper than when I was a roadie but still cost me close to $600 after a discount for knowing the owner for some 15+ years. It was a big hit for me (more than I spent of the bike for crying out loud) but I am quite happy with them and I was able to support my buddies new shop!

The downside to the new parts/wheels is that I now have a cheap frame! (probably always cheap but now it stands out in my mind.)

Out spokin'
    ...make that a couple of months.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Sounds like it's Christmas all year long. In a couple years you'll have a very expensive titanium GT Peace... incognito.

--Sparty
    No doubt. I figure when I start actually getting ready to buy the new ti frame, I will strip the paint off the GT to a raw state. Ride it for a month or two and then my ti frame will show up and I can just swap out parts and no one (wife) will know the difference!!!!

Low Rep Count
    Yep, the work day has slowed down and I am ready to go home and stare at my bike or at least sping the free wheel on it so I can hear that purty sound!

Ovaries on the Outside
    Holy crapballs, man! You have 92 posts and I think they are all on this thread!

You owe us pictures. And they better be on the trail.

Low Rep Count
    Taking kids to soccer practice now. Will be back this evening with pics. Won't be any of me on it on the trails but I can get some dirty shots of it since it hasn't been cleaned yet!!

Who do you guys use to host your pics? I normally use photobucket but every time I add them to a post, they all come out really small????

Ovaries on the Outside
    I upload them or use my picasa page.

Low Rep Count

Low Rep Count

So there you have it. Still waiting for my seat post and new chainwheel. I have pretty much cut about 3 lbs of weight with the upgrades made. I still need to get some new tires but that is minimal when it comes to weight and traction is more important than a few grams imo.

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    I upload them or use my picasa page.
    Duh, didn't even look at the advanced page where it says I can upload them! My bad.

Ovaries on the Outside
    The bike looks good. You've nabbed my favorite GT frame color.

Low Rep Count
    I agree. I really like the color as well and it should be a fairly easy transition when I switch to ti frame in the future. Not sure when that will be but after receiving the price list from Seven yesterday, I am thinking it won't be one from them! Leaning towards a Lynskey now (definitely more affordable!)

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Send your M960 off to crazy8 and let him do his magic on them:

Do you want to try meeting up for a ride again sometime?

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    dang i really want a peace but I dont like the anarchy symbol
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Low Rep Count
    I thought about that. I am just going to take the crank arm off when my new chainring arrives (Did you hear that ISuckAtRiding?-when my chainring arrives! and pull out my dremil and trim the tabs down a little bit. I'm not stressed about getting it all refinished and what not. It's just going to get scraped up again anyway!

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    dang i really want a peace but I dont like the anarchy symbol
    Just slap a sticker over it! Not like it impacts the fames functionality mind you.

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic

Sure do! But won't be in town this weekend. Heading to Philly on Fri for my daughters soccer tournament this weekend. Should be able to pull something together next week. i will shoot you an email some time next week to see what we can set up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It's just going to get scraped up again anyway!
    The ceramic coat is very durable, more so than paint, pc, or ano in my experience.

Sure do! But won't be in town this weekend. Heading to Philly on Fri for my daughters soccer tournament this weekend. Should be able to pull something together next week. i will shoot you an email some time next week to see what we can set up.
    Yup, just send me an email.

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic

Do you know if they do the milling of the bolt tabs on the crank arms? From looking at their gallary it looks like all the xtr cranks have been milled down the same to make them look much cleaner. Thought about doing this myself for now and then sending the cranks off to them over the winter to get coated but if they do it all then I will just wait and let them do all the work.

BTW, new seat post showed up the other day as well as my new tires (maxis ignighter) but no time to install as of yet. Hopefully, I can get them on today and shoot a picture. Ordered a Garmin 505 yesterday and should be here tomorrow. Want to know how far I am riding as well as keep track of HR.

My buddy that owns Just Riding Along Bikes out here in Laytonsville is trying to get me to buy another road bike. Struggling with the idea of doing it. Still want another one but feel that it will take away from my focus on riding my newly built SS! Don't think the wife will be too happy either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yes, crazy8 will do all the metal work; all you have to do is send him your crank. Perfect for an over-the-winter project. Not only does it make it look nicer, but it also lightens it up even more.

I had a road bike. Had being the operative word. It bored me to tears, so it was gone within a month.

Low Rep Count
    I grew up riding/racing them so it has sort of always been my escape if you will. But I have not been riding one in a while. But after putting my new post and tires on I am thinking I just want to go ride my SS MTB!

Updated and complete pictures minus my maybe upgrading my bb over the winter once the cranks are off and getting done up by Crazy8.

See pics below!
    Last edited by 1SPD; 06-02-2010 at 06:00 PM.

Low Rep Count
    See below

Front hub

WI Eno hub, BB7, Velocity VXC rim, Saphin spokes, Brass nipples, Maxis Ignitor tires

2.1 on front 1.95 on rear.
    Last edited by 1SPD; 06-02-2010 at 06:01 PM.

Low Rep Count
    Test photo for resizing software. Sorry, but gotta see if it worked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Christmas is coming early!!!-peace.jpg  

Low Rep Count
    Ok, I think I got it now. Sorry for all the posts, but here are pictures that you can see. I will try to delete the previous pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Christmas is coming early!!!-bars.jpg  

Christmas is coming early!!!-drive-train.jpg  

Christmas is coming early!!!-front-wheel.jpg  

Christmas is coming early!!!-peace-side.jpg  

Christmas is coming early!!!-rear-wheel.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    How do you like the trials freewheel?

Low Rep Count
    I think it is awesome! The downside is that it only comes in an 18t. Right now that is fine but if I am able to keep up with my riding [my schedule simply sucks-in fact I am back at work right now for some damn emergency due to a power blip sending room temperatures to the upper 70's (animal research facility)] I may out grow it. But I guess that just means I will get a larger front ring instead (cheaper!!! )

Low Rep Count
    Well just as an update, should have one of each of these showing up at the house in about a week.

Fork was ordered on Tues and just sent money out for the crank today to Crazy8.

I would like to add that Crazy8 have been very helpful and put up with all my emails back and forth over the past two days! Thanks for working out the deal man! Can't wait to get them on the bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Christmas is coming early!!!-xtr5.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

Low Rep Count
    Yes, I already have XTR cranks but they are being swapped out for a set that have been refinished by Crazy8. Should end up shedding a little bit more weight but have a much nicer finish to them. Went with the ti blue color as I think it will be a little bit closer to the color of my frame. It will also have all the mounting tabs rounded out for a much more clean look than what I have going on right now. Disclaimer-I did not cut the cranks up myself, I picked them up second hand already cut. But Crazy8 can fix them!!!! Better, stronger, lighter, faster!!!! (well, the faster part is me but you know what I mean)

Low Rep Count
    Yeh buddy, fork should be here tomorrow! Not sure when the crank will be in.

Got my little $1 fishing scale yesterday in the mail. The bike weighs 25.97 lbs. Not the lightest. The fork should shave close to 2lbs off that but I am still looking at some 24 lbs or so. There really isn't much else to shave at this point short of just going to a Ti frame and well.....there isn't any money left at the moment. So, time to ride it until it breaks!

Thanks for all your help guys. I will post up some new pics and weight once I actually have this crap together.

Low Rep Count
    Sweet! Man this fork is pretty and mighty damn light! So the weight of the bike dropped down to 22.66 lbs. That is a 3 lbs difference from when it had my old Psylo on it. The ride, is nice but different.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    how was your decked out bike 26lbs with the suspension fork? my Peace 9r is pretty much stock except for (heavier) Hope M4 brakes, RockShox Reba, XTR 970 cranks, AtomLab AirCorp pedals and Maxxis Ardent 2.25 tires. it currently weighs 25.7lbs.

with all your titanium and carbon fiber, i'd expect yours to be significantly lighter than mine. what size is your frame?

Low Rep Count
    Dude, if I could answer that question, it would not have weighed that much. I don't think my wheels weigh that much though it is possible that the White hups/free wheel added some weight over the stock wheels. The fork for sure was heavy. I mean it was over 8 years old. I should weigh it but I am guessing that it is close to 4.5 lbs judging by the weight difference in the bike and knowing that the new rigid is only 1.6 lbs.

I agree, just about everything on my bike is frickn light weight. Frame is only a medium so that really shouldn't be the cause. Perhaps it has lead paint

Low Rep Count
    Well, I received my new levers, grips and cables over the past two days and installed yesterday.

Ordered a set of black Paul levers, lime green Shadow Conspiracy linear cables (from Dan's) and a set of ESI Racers Edge (lime green) grips.

While I have not gotten to go for a ride as of yet, I can only say wow. The brakes feel completely different! No so much because of the levers mind you but the cables. This has probably been one of the most cost effective upgrades I have made. At $10 or so a cable it was well worth it. They no longer feel squishy. They now feel firm yet smooth. Big difference from the somewhat run of the mill Kore cables that I had on it from the get go. If you have BB7 brakes I would strongly consider swaping out your cables to some linear cables.

I purchased the levers because I got them for an astounding price from a friend and I was sick of my stock Tektro (crap) levers rattling all over the place. Guess I shaved a few grams along the way but that really was not my logic for replacing them.

The grips feel good so far but I do think I should have just gone for the Chunky versions instead. I was concerned at how much larger the diameter would be but I can only say that the Racers Edge are fairly small when mounted. They feel good but I think I could have tolerated the slightly larger diameter of the Chunkies.

Now waiting for my XTR crank to arrive from Crazy8. Should go out either today or tomorrow! Once this arrives, the bike is pretty much complete aside from perhaps changing to a larger front tire (2.1 up to a 2.3) and maybe having the frame painted over the winter! I'm not really even stressed or thinking about going to a ti frame any more. Aside from the bling and slightly less weight, it doesn't make much sense to me. I'm not racing and I'm not sponsored.

I will post up new pics when it is complete witht he crank on the bike! Hopefully by this time next week anyway.

Thanks to all you board members that have helped me out along the way with this build and giving me advice on different parts and links to where I could find them!

mtbr member
    mmmm.... it has White Industries product.

Low Rep Count
    Yes Sir! Look good and work great!

mtbr member
    any pictures of the new setup?
    Ride & Smile

Low Rep Count
    Nope! Trying to wait for the crank to arrive so that I can pretty much post up a completed photo and stop taking up so much bandwidth on this thread.

I'm sure most folks won't like my lime green grips and cables anyway.

Low Rep Count
    Ok, this is as up to date as it gets. Still waiting on new XTR crank from Crazy8 to arrive. Should be here any day (supposedly was to go out last Wed/Thur). In any case, photo shows new levers, cables, grips, and fork. Almost done. Just awaiting new crank at this point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Christmas is coming early!!!-right-peace.jpg  

Christmas is coming early!!!-left-peace.jpg  

Christmas is coming early!!!-carbon-front.jpg  

Low Rep Count
    Sorry for the quality. Having problems getting the stupid converter to work right!

mtbr member
    Damn I feel like I'm holding things up 1SPD. The heat wave here in the mid-west really cut into the amount of time I could spend in the shop. This week in the low to mid 80's and I'm working hard at catching up with orders. I'll drop you a email tomorrow to update you when to expect your 960SS cranks............I just got a look at your bike.............TiBlue would match up with your frame nicely. Sorry for the misunderstanding and delay, I thought I'd notified everyone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Christmas is coming early!!!-4292880955_206fa4484d_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dude,

Classy move. I'll be sending my cranks to you!

Low Rep Count
    Crazy8 - No worries. You're not holding anything up. It is only a project bike if you will. I can still ride thanks to you! I agree on the color. Lets stick with the ti-blue! I think it should really come out looking nice!

Low Rep Count
    Well, I got around to reweighing it this evening. I weighed it 3 different times and then averaged out the results. I did it this way since the scale is a pretty cheap one. None the less my readings were:

AVG = 20.46 lbs

Only thing left to install is my cranks but we are only talking about another 50 grams or so less than the XTR's that are on it now I believe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Christmas is coming early!!!-weight-weenie.jpg  

Christmas is coming early!!!-wwi.jpg  

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    what did you change since the last weight of 22.x lbs?

Low Rep Count
    Well, the last time I weighed it, I only hung it up and read the numbers. This time I did it three times because I kept getting different numbers so I think the average I came up with is much more realistic. I noticed that if the little hook sat differently on the seat rails I would get a different number. Some times higher, some times lower.

None the less, I have changed out my seatpost, cables, grips, and levers for the most part. While I can't say that any of those parts are significant on their own, I can say that I went from and older (Yeti) lock on style grip to some ESI Racers Edge (which weigh little to nothing-I think they are like 55 grams). The Paul levers are definitely noticeably lighter than the stock Tecktro's or Forte's I was running. I would think that the cables were about the same. Can't remember which seat post was on the bike when I weighed it though as I am on my 3rd one now since bending two.

Low Rep Count
    Well, the cranks arrived! So excited. Would be even more excited if it was not 11pm and not raining, oh, and if I had my hand built wheels back on my bike. Overall, very pleased! The finish is spectacular! I weighed the crank arms and chainwheel and they came in at 540 gms. Unfortunately, I was too lazy to pull the bearing cups to weigh them as well. My stock XTR cranks w/ bb and same chainring were 650 gms. So, just not sure what the cups weigh. But I would guess that combined, the new cranks from Crazy8 have to be about 625 or so! Just awesome!

Sorry, for the pictures looking funny, I am tired and was having difficulty with the photo resizer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Christmas is coming early!!!-crank.jpg  

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Well, the cranks arrived! So excited. Would be even more excited if it was not 11pm and not raining, oh, and if I had my hand built wheels back on my bike. Overall, very pleased! The finish is spectacular! I weighed the crank arms and chainwheel and they came in at 540 gms. Unfortunately, I was too lazy to pull the bearing cups to weigh them as well. My stock XTR cranks w/ bb and same chainring were 650 gms. So, just not sure what the cups weigh. But I would guess that combined, the new cranks from Crazy8 have to be about 625 or so! Just awesome!

Sorry, for the pictures looking funny, I am tired and was having difficulty with the photo resizer.
    Looks awesome...good call on the color for the crank. It looks good with your frame.

Low Rep Count
    Yep, I will have to shoot a few more pictures tomorrow for you Dale. Thanks so much. Mine will be going out back to you tomorrow!

Update on the rest of the bike. Wheels are in the shop. Bent a rear wheel on last group ride so I have to get a new rim. Going to have a Stans kit installed along with new Conti Race King 2.2's. Should add some squish, rim protection, and be faster than the Nevegals that are currently on it. Also picked up a Ritchey WSC seat post and stem. Was having problems getting things dialed in. New stem is a 100 mm (down from 110) and is aluminum w/ stainless bolts. They tension better and don't come loose. I swear, the lighter you go, the more it costs and the less parts hold up. The threads just wear out faster on the smaller bolts. I also installed XT hydro disc and a Race Face carbon bar w/ 1" rise to it. Cut the bar down to 24.5" to match up with what I have been riding. So, with the stock wheels back on for the time being and some (what I consider massive for me) 2.35 tires on it, the beast is fairly heavy again. But reliable at this point. The wheels will be back on soon enough and I can get a more official weight of the finished product!

Low Rep Count
    The chainring is pretty nice as well! Might be ordering a 33 from you here soon. Spinning out my 32/18 now. It will suck going up to 33 or 34 on climbs but I am just getting blown out trying to keep up with everyone on the flats/decents! Gotta dump a few parts first to recover some funds!

Thanks for the compliment. Dale really encouraged me to go with this color and I will agree, it came out very nice.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Nice bike. Wish you were rolling a five arm crank arm to make it absolutely perfect, but the XTRs are some of the sexiest cranks out there. And I hope they are XTRs or my MTBer cred just got shot.

Low Rep Count
    Yep, modded XTR's from Crazy8.

Megga props to Dale! These things are wicked light and look the way Shimano should have made them! If anyone is looking to do an upgrade or get your cranks coated for a longer life and to add a little bit of bling to your bike, this is the way to go.

Just want to say thanks to the man Crazy8 for working out a core deal for me. Going this route allowed me to stay out there on the bike while the custom cranks were being made. He has a full selection of crank sizes, a great selection of colors, and can pretty much coat just about anything metal! If I had known about this a couple of years ago, I would have had him coated a whole bunch of my Subaru's engine parts! Awesome deal man. His communication is outstanding. But keep in mind, this is a custom job here and there is a turn around time of a couple weeks. But well worth it!

Ovaries on the Outside
    It looks like you tend to brush your right heel against the chainstay...

Low Rep Count
    Which would tell you that I ride with my left foot forward when going down hill and jumping/hopping and that I wear a size 9, weigh 180lbs, favor my right hand and have a busted up left knee that has had surgery once. Very Good umarth! Damn Good!

Members who have read this thread: 0