Chris King wheels 25o good deal?- Mtbr.com
    Turn off the TV

Chris King wheels 25o good deal?

Can get a set of Chris King non disk hubs w/ mavic 515 rims I think they are about 8/10 years old. If there in good shape I was going to get them and put a king cog on them and call it good what do you think.

newie
    Jan 2009
    Sounds like a decent deal, offer 200!

mtbr member
    well .. it depends on your expectations? Depending on the shape of the rim and spokes/nipples; you might just be paying $250 for the hubs and need a new build (rims + build = $250+);most (lots?) wheels are build using aluminum nipples and they only last 3-4 seasons before then need a re-build. If you don't know the owner you might want to the hubs once-overed at your lbs, expect $50+ for a clean and lube. Now that you are in for > 500 what happens when you get upgrade-itis and want disk brakes.

That said if everything is solid and you can ride them for a couple seasons then go for it.

Stayin' Puft
    Meh...someone else's old outdated crap? I would rather buy new cheep stuff...look for deals...

if they are 26er, non-disc, and 10 years old, they are pretty much relics. Put them in a museum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a pair of wheels with about the same vintage hubs. They are fantastic. If you switch to disc brakes, you can switch the inners over to new shells from King for a little over $200. If they have fun bolts and a bolt on axle, even better. Now I got these from the original owner and they were always treated good, so YMMV.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

Members who have read this thread: 0