View Poll Results: Which hubset for SS 29er?

Voters
68. This poll is closed
  • Chris King SS disc

32 47.06%
  • Phil Wood+White Industries freewheel

36 52.94%
    holding back the darkness

Chris King Vs. Phil Wood+WI freewheel

Thoughts?
    Building up my dream wheelset and realized that I have two dream wheelsets. So now I solicit the opinions of complete strangers.
    CK: like the engagement, like the rebuildability, like the weight, like the cogs. Interchangeable front axles.
    PW: Super-pimpy in a wonderful "i'm old-school but I can still kick ass" way. Smoooooooth as butta, WI freewheel is good, but expensive to interchange. Heavier than Kings.

These are destined for a custom steel 29er. Price is not a consideration in this exercise.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    What about Hadley with their "I'm exclusive and awesome in ways most people don't know about"? No experience myself (yet), but they always seem to be brought up in these discussions. Also, to clarify, the King QR front hub is only convertible to 15mm thru, correct? I think that was the case for Hadley too until they recently started making a new version. Not 100% sure

My DT 240 rear hub has been awesome so far. It is very light and they have a reputation for needing little service and also being very easily serviceable. With the 36t star ratchet their engagement is only half as quick as a King but equal to the standard WI freewheel.

BTW, I voted for King. I like cassette hubs and all the flexibility they bring

mtbr member
    Well. the rest of the build would also need to be considered... whats the ultimate goal?
    Req. Disclaimer: I sell Giant, Trek, and Electra bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrantGorgon
    The no-brainer store called, they want their question back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fixedforbroke
    whats the ultimate goal?

Considering weight isnt much of a consideration, price isnt much of a consideration, and engagment isnt much of a consideration.....

I am guessing his main goal is to have a bike that his friends think is cool? Or maybe he has no friends so he wants to impress MTBR... Who knows.

Seriously, what the hell are you looking for here? Is this a popularity contest?

Chris king wins in pretty much all respects. Some kooky nut balls on here have actually managed to have bad luck with them, but I attribute that to bad karma and sketchy home mechanic skills.

I am building up a Paul Components Word single speed disc hub. Gear interchangeability doesnt concern me. The bike wont stray from the local trails so I know the ratio I will use. I have a separate XC and freeride bike. The hub was inexpensive and awesome quality. Thats enough for me. And unlike many others, the Pauls hub comes with allen bolt axle ends. No 15mm wrench to carry around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This is funny, especially this part:

"Some kooky nut balls on here have actually managed to have bad luck with them, but I attribute that to bad karma and sketchy home mechanic skills."

Quote Originally Posted by SmilMick
    Considering weight isnt much of a consideration, price isnt much of a consideration, and engagment isnt much of a consideration.....

I am guessing his main goal is to have a bike that his friends think is cool? Or maybe he has no friends so he wants to impress MTBR... Who knows.

Seriously, what the hell are you looking for here? Is this a popularity contest?

Chris king wins in pretty much all respects. Some kooky nut balls on here have actually managed to have bad luck with them, but I attribute that to bad karma and sketchy home mechanic skills.

I am building up a Paul Components Word single speed disc hub. Gear interchangeability doesnt concern me. The bike wont stray from the local trails so I know the ratio I will use. I have a separate XC and freeride bike. The hub was inexpensive and awesome quality. Thats enough for me. And unlike many others, the Pauls hub comes with allen bolt axle ends. No 15mm wrench to carry around.

aka baycat
    Would chose CK for the interchangeability of the cogs for different gear ratios. I rarely change cogs on my bike but when and if I do it does not entail a new ~$80 freewheel. Maybe noise is the consideration. A single speed is simple and quiet. Unless you want hubs to warn incoming hikers and bikers. Maybe compare the noise level of the CK hubs to PW?

Not run either but the sound of a CK hub is quite distinguishable.

mtbr member
    Considering weight isnt much of a consideration, price isnt much of a consideration, and engagment isnt much of a consideration.....Seriously, what the hell are you looking for here? Is this a popularity contest?
    I only read that price wasn't a consideration. Gee your cranky.

A cassette hub would be worth it to me just because of the easy gear changes. And check out I9 classic hubs if you want do to the steel spoke thing. They're just super swell looking
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by the munts
    I only read that price wasn't a consideration. Gee your cranky.

A cassette hub would be worth it to me just because of the easy gear changes. And check out I9 classic hubs if you want do to the steel spoke thing. They're just super swell looking
    Not cranky, only wondering why the original poster still wonders which is the best option for him after he already knows the various features and benefits of both set ups.

He knows which has more engagement. He knows which is lighter. He knows which is easier to change out. CHRIS KING

Yet, even after all that he is still considering phil wood and white industry based purly on the fact that it is "cooler" and "old school"

My dream bike is light, reliable, easy to work on, adjustable, and high performance. Apparently his dream bike requires running what is considered coolest. Or gains the most respect from the mountain biking community? I dont know. Just a really silly thread in my opinion.

Hey guys, I am building a dream bike. I know that disc brakes are better in EVERY SINGLE aspect, but cantilever brakes just scream "old school" awesome. What would you pick?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    subliminal simply has decision paralysis, like I did a week ago. I chose the Kings due to:

a awesome track record with me
    Use of cogs
    lightish weight (though not a primary concern)
    love the sound

I vote Kings, subliminalshiver. I just found SmilMick's response funny- he did sound cranky!

Edit: I also like the QR-15mm convertible feaure. In fact, that was important. I must admit that I did think about the Phil Woods with WI freewheel. Then I watched some guys change the freewheel on Youtube.
    Last edited by Flyer; 11-04-2009 at 09:44 PM.

Not cranky, only wondering why the original poster still wonders which is the best option for him after he already knows the various features and benefits of both set ups.
    So I guess I asked for opinions and I got them. Thanks. My next question is: Why are you such an @ss?
    I'm just throwing out the poll for grins. I own both a CK wheelset and another wheelset with a WI freewheel. I'm building a new set for a new bike and know that I'd like one or the other, as I am happy with both. Phil Wood hubs are notoriously smooth and beautiful. I really dig my kings as well. I was looking for the odd chance of a refreshing angle to sway me one way or the other. I have a good problem to have. I am deciding between two good products. I was simply soliciting the opinion of my peers on the subject.
    That being said, your posts intrigue me. Where do you get off p1ssing on my campfire? You infer quite a lot from quite a little in the original post. The other contributors offered valuable input. Your input is more or less cocky, malicious BS except for the part about the Paul hubs, but that was at the very end and I was already dissuaded from agreeing with you just on principle. Not to mention that I could care less about your Paul hubs.
    Furthermore... maybe it is a "silly" thread, frivolous at best, but I thought the idea behind this forums was to discuss mtn biking and gain some different perspectives on a variety of topics. You seem to be the sort that isn't happy until you've compensated for your own inadequacy by attempting to point out the flaws of others (see, I can make inferences too..) You are not unique. There are a number of your kind in here. Beyond a certain inflammatory entertainment value your posts are largely ignored once the flames die down.
    I think somewhere in between the rest of the fluff in your posts you endorsed the Chris King option of the two given. Thanks for your input. It's noted. If you have something else productive to contribute I will continue to welcome your thoughts.
    In the interim, please pound sand.
    **** censorship

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    subliminal simply has decision paralysis, like I did a week ago.
    Thanks! Tough crowd in here. I'm leaning toward the Kings, the interchangeability of axles and cogs is a plus for sure. And I like the Angry Bee Sound.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, I can relate though. The 29er crowd is tired of my polls, I'm sure. I wanted to put another one up but now I'm worried.

I'll start out with a QR carbon fork and if it becomes a huge beating I'm taking, I would like the option of the 15mm Fox F29. So the King QR front is the start (SS rear, of course) and the 15mm axle will make a suspension fork an easy option. The sound is simply the best. The Hopes are annoying, the I9s are okay, the Hadley are okay, but the Kings sound good to my ears. Quiet hubs are fine too but I like the CK sound.

Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    Thanks! Tough crowd in here. I'm leaning toward the Kings, the interchangeability of axles and cogs is a plus for sure. And I like the Angry Bee Sound.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    The 29er crowd is tired of my polls
    I agree with Flyer

for a dedicated SS, not aiming for weight weeniedom, i actually think my vote is for the Wood. I have owned them and loved them. They are for sure much more in terms of grams but they are outstanding. For SS I actually love the WI Freewheel. I also think its ruh-tarded for idiots to claim how hard it is to change a freewheel...its not, especially with the ACS freewheel remover. I can remove a freewheel easily as fast as a cog.

My current ride did however go with King SS hub, but thats because I was intrigued by playing with a 6-speed config out back.

Either way, you are in a win win situation

They even made me a matching business card holder This is one of maybe 2 bikes I REALLY REALLY wish I never sold
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Also, to clarify, the King QR front hub is only convertible to 15mm thru, correct? I think that was the case for Hadley too until they recently started making a new version. Not 100% sure
    Well.. they have a LD and SD option. The LD is 15mm and can convert to QR. The SD is 15mm and converts up to 20mm and 24mm.
    **** censorship

Well.. they have a LD and SD option. The LD is 15mm and can convert to QR. The SD is 15mm and converts up to 20mm and 24mm.
    you nailed it...King is ok, but not in the league of I9 or Hope in terms of convertibility

mtbr member
    May 2006
    All negativity from the previous posts aside: I own a set of Phils with WI freewheel and I can really relate to the "smooth as butter" characteristics of that setup. It feels different from a cassette hub setup, though I don't own a Chris King, but a Hope Pro II (which rocks as well).
    I guess that, in this case, it really is a matter of taste.
    One last thing, though: with a freewheel, your bb needs to be the correct length in order to get perfect chainline. With a cassette hub, you might be able to use a bb you already own because you can play with the chainline a bit.
    Whatever you choose, you'll love it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Fo is just saying that. Secretly, he wishs for more polls and even gives me ideas. Just yesterday, he asked me about putting up a What Chainring Bolt poll!

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    I agree with Flyer

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you need it to tension your chain, then White. If not, then I'd go CK for the ease of the cassette.

However, weight isn't really an issue here. If you look at the total weight of a CK SS hub with a 16t CK stainless cog and compare it to a Eno Eccentric with a WI 16t freewheel, the CK setup is only roughly 25g lighter.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    What about Chub/WI Trials?

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    /doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by dinoadventures
    What about Chub/WI Trials?
    they appear rad...as do True Precision

Anybody want to buy my I9 SS wheels?

mtbr member
    True Precision- they look good but are heavy and have more drag than even the Kings. Still, they are interesting and have that true instant engagement.

Chub- Also cool but front hubs are non-convertible (I think). Carbon body though?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMountain
    True Precision- they look good but are heavy and have more drag than even the Kings. Still, they are interesting and have that true instant engagement.

Chub- Also cool but front hubs are non-convertible (I think). Carbon body though?
    you know a lot about drag, and chubs, i am sure

mtbr member
    I voted Wood/WI mostly because it's what I run myself and I like the WI freewheel. Seems to be a bomber setup but both options are really. The Wood/WI is a little more unique. The WI Freewheel feels fantastic. Though I've never ridden a King hub to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    If you need it to tension your chain, then White. If not, then I'd go CK for the ease of the cassette.

However, weight isn't really an issue here. If you look at the total weight of a CK SS hub with a 16t CK stainless cog and compare it to a Eno Eccentric with a WI 16t freewheel, the CK setup is only roughly 25g lighter.
    Not looking at the ENO hub. This wheelset is going on a bike with sliding dropouts so chain tension is already taken care of.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Not looking at the ENO hub. This wheelset is going on a bike with sliding dropouts so chain tension is already taken care of.
    I know, but I have the Eno hub, which is what I based my weight measurements off of. So if you're going with the standard WI hub, then it would probably weigh about the same, if not less, than the CK.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, Fo loves carbon so the Chubs should be right up his alley..in other words, don't get them. You will be subjected to Fo-praise...never a good thing.

True Precisions do indeed have more drag than the Kings. One of the main guys used to work for King. He will tell you that while the engagement is great, they are still working on reducing the drag through different lubricants and the drag is a bit more than the Kings. On a SS, the drag is less of an issue and I don't notice much on the Kings but at more weight and more drag, I'll pass.

Don't get the TPs since that may will result in praise from Fo- something we are all very wary of.

In other words, if Kings are his last choice, better to get those.

Well, Fo loves carbon so the Chubs should be right up his alley..in other words, don't get them. You will be subjected to Fo-praise...never a good thing.

True Precisions do indeed have more drag than the Kings. One of the main guys used to work for King. He will tell you that while the engagement is great, they are still working on reducing the drag through different lubricants and the drag is a bit more than the Kings. On a SS, the drag is less of an issue and I don't notice much on the Kings but at more weight and more drag, I'll pass.

Don't get the TPs since that may will result in praise from Fo- something we are all very wary of.

In other words, if Kings are his last choice, better to get those.
    i am glad you will not be getting them - all the better i feel about my new planned purchase.

mtbr member
    Ok then with all this being said then i would go with the phil wood simply for beauty and bulletproofness.
    Req. Disclaimer: I sell Giant, Trek, and Electra bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrantGorgon
    The no-brainer store called, they want their question back.

Quote Originally Posted by fixedforbroke
    Ok then with all this being said then i would go with the phil wood simply for beauty and bulletproofness.
    indeed...plus, as of right this second anyway, the scientific poll has Phil in the lead by 1 vote so yeah, that proves its the right choice!

Pretty much a dead heat. I knew I could count on you all to solve my problems for me.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This will only impede your progress as a Racer but do as you must. I see you're getting more cranky and delusional as each day passes. You should take a week off MTBR and go hang out in Thailand as Squeaky and I have suggested.

i am glad you will not be getting them - all the better i feel about my new planned purchase.

This will only impede your progress as a Racer but do as you must. I see you're getting more cranky and delusional as each day passes. You should take a week off MTBR and go hang out in Thailand as Squeaky and I have suggested.
    as of about an hour ago, i am not not sure what to do with the wheels. i think now i want a Ti frame to replace my inbred, as much as i love it...just have the Ti bug (so i can be like squeaky felchpumper). So now i may instead get a new frame.

i figure my wife already has no clue about the FoSkey so i may as well add on another frame so i only get neutered once when she finds out...if she finds out

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    1) You are really annoying Squeaky by trying to be more like him each day.
    2) You were already neutered in 2004.
    3) I am losing track of WTH you are doing.
    4) Please stop all further activities till you at least get that Gheylix frame.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    they appear rad...as do True Precision

Anybody want to buy my I9 SS wheels?
    I'll report back on the Chub/WI. Mine are being built.

thought about True Precision, but the price and weight was crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by dinoadventures
    I'll report back on the Chub/WI. Mine are being built.

thought about True Precision, but the price and weight was crazy.
    thanks...what are the corresponding weights...if you have em readily available that is. thanks!

Witty McWitterson
    I voted Phil, simply because its a badass set up. That and I'm certainly not a King fan(one of the few I'd guess).

I recently built a set of Chub's to Stan's ZTR with Sapim Lasers for a customer. Ened up being a super tight, very light wheel set. Wish I had a scale to weigh them actually. They were easily the lightest wheels I've built. Rode 'em for a bit too. Nice stuff.
    Just a regular guy.

miwuksurfer
    I bet you could change the front axle of the phils to a TA. They make them.
    I have King and Phil rear hubs and very much prefer Phil. I have to pull apart my King hub to clean and lube it about twice a year. The driveside bearings aren't really sealed. Its just a gasket and snapring. Not a big deal, but I never do anything but wipe down my Phil hub.
    The only real benefit I see by going with King is the weight (marginal) and cheaper gear changes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I vote Chub,,, but then I have yet to purchase wheels for my bike... No,, literally, I have a 29er frame waiting to be built... Hell, I may go bargain used.. Let you all spend on the new... Fo- what wheels?

Thanks for the input folks.
    I just called my wheelbuilder and placed an order. I went with the Phil Wood.
    I debated. I lamented. I'm not generally into the WW BS, but a POUND heavier than Kings?
    In the end it didn't matter. The Phil Wood hubs are a better fit for this particular build. I even considered the Chubs. I even thought about fitting the Chubs with PW bearings. None of it mattered. It all came down to something more. Down to completely unquanitfiable soul. Phil Wood has what I was looking for. It should have been obvious from the beginning, I should have trusted my initial instincts.

is buachail foighneach me
    Jeebus dude, are you planning on riding them or making out with them??

Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    Well, riding.... but in this case, as has been proven time and again, sex sells.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sean salach
    Well, riding.... but in this case, as has been proven time and again, sex sells.
    On the other hand, though, if you are planning on making out with a wheelset, Phils are where it's at

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Try the Pauls hub set, light, smooth and as nice as a Phil wood. have Pauls and CK can`t go wrong with either. Good Luck.

Here's the update.
    Went with the Phil Woods. Seemed the most appropriate fit for this particular bike.

mtbr member
    Lookin good! You made a good choice. I'm very happy with my PW/WI setup.

Looks familiar.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    So I guess I asked for opinions and I got them. Thanks. My next question is: Why are you such an @ss?
    I'm just throwing out the poll for grins. I own both a CK wheelset and another wheelset with a WI freewheel. I'm building a new set for a new bike and know that I'd like one or the other, as I am happy with both. Phil Wood hubs are notoriously smooth and beautiful. I really dig my kings as well. I was looking for the odd chance of a refreshing angle to sway me one way or the other. I have a good problem to have. I am deciding between two good products. I was simply soliciting the opinion of my peers on the subject.
    That being said, your posts intrigue me. Where do you get off p1ssing on my campfire? You infer quite a lot from quite a little in the original post. The other contributors offered valuable input. Your input is more or less cocky, malicious BS except for the part about the Paul hubs, but that was at the very end and I was already dissuaded from agreeing with you just on principle. Not to mention that I could care less about your Paul hubs.
    Furthermore... maybe it is a "silly" thread, frivolous at best, but I thought the idea behind this forums was to discuss mtn biking and gain some different perspectives on a variety of topics. You seem to be the sort that isn't happy until you've compensated for your own inadequacy by attempting to point out the flaws of others (see, I can make inferences too..) You are not unique. There are a number of your kind in here. Beyond a certain inflammatory entertainment value your posts are largely ignored once the flames die down.
    I think somewhere in between the rest of the fluff in your posts you endorsed the Chris King option of the two given. Thanks for your input. It's noted. If you have something else productive to contribute I will continue to welcome your thoughts.
    In the interim, please pound sand.
    But you come back only to tell us that you have owned both? Looking for a fresh outlook? Lol!! Seriously? Here is my logic... Being that you have owned both hubs in question, wouldnt "a fresh outlook" simply be somebody elses outlook? Nobody is "bringing anything fresh to the table", because you have used both!!!!

If I said a Chris King hub sounded like a zip-tie instead of a bumble bee, would that have been enough to sway you in a certain direction? The paul hub is as smooth as butter. The Paul hub is as smooth as a babys bottom. Which sounds better to you?

A thread like this is beyond frivolous. Its pointless.

If you want to get all psyco on it, this thread sounds like a way for you to validate your expenses. Nobody has a good reason to spend the kind of money that we do on bike parts. Forums are a good way make ourselves feel better about our silly money pits.

Damn near all of us could have spent ALOT less and gone just as fast, just as easily. Try and argue. Just try.

Im mostly just a grumpy shop employee who likes to vent on MTBR instead of the customers that walk into the door

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice! I went with the Kings instead so we have both covered.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What I have not seen is how much the hubs weigh with cogs and without. I believe the CK or the Hopes may be far lighter when you factor in all the variables. If someone can afford the high dollar parts go for it, it stimulates the economy.

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004
    It is probably impossible to find an ordinary hub/cog set up as heavy as a PW/ WI freewheel. Heck, the freewheels are 200 grams. I have a flipflop with a free wheel on both sides. Imagine what that thing weighs! That said, I have Kings, 240's and Phils, and from a performance point of view, I think the PWs win 2 important ones out of 4. They have less resistance than anything I've ridden. They just seem to roll and accelerate off the top of a hill on their own. they can be built dishless for years of trouble free wheel usage, as long as you don't abuse the rim by hitting too many things square on. Also, if you get the right WI freewheel for you and what you ride, those damn things never wear out either. the 2 they lose are engagement, yeah a little bit, and weight, but its not weight out on the rim and you can make some of it up by running a little riskier in the spokes & rims and still have a very sturdy wheel. If I were looking to race, the King with a variety of cogs. If I were looking for an everyday wheel that you just jump on and go day after day, the PW.

But you come back only to tell us that you have owned both? Looking for a fresh outlook? Lol!! Seriously? Here is my logic... Being that you have owned both hubs in question, wouldnt "a fresh outlook" simply be somebody elses outlook? Nobody is "bringing anything fresh to the table", because you have used both!!!!

If I said a Chris King hub sounded like a zip-tie instead of a bumble bee, would that have been enough to sway you in a certain direction? The paul hub is as smooth as butter. The Paul hub is as smooth as a babys bottom. Which sounds better to you?

A thread like this is beyond frivolous. Its pointless.

If you want to get all psyco on it, this thread sounds like a way for you to validate your expenses. Nobody has a good reason to spend the kind of money that we do on bike parts. Forums are a good way make ourselves feel better about our silly money pits.

Damn near all of us could have spent ALOT less and gone just as fast, just as easily. Try and argue. Just try.

Im mostly just a grumpy shop employee who likes to vent on MTBR instead of the customers that walk into the door
    Seriously?
    Read it again. I never said I had owned anything Phil Wood before. White industries, yes. And yes, the fresh outlook I was looking for was exactly someone else's outlook. Yes, I was seeking the advice of peers. People pop off on mtbr all day long about this part vs. that part and solicit the opinions of people with greater experience than themselves. Why is that such a bizaare concept for you? Because you are a troll and have no friends.You are a sad, sad being who, after a maddening day at the shop selling lame comfort bikes probably has nothing better to do on Christmas Eve other than take down a plastic bottle of mccormick's vodka and revisit internet posts from weeks ago and see if you can find anything else flippant to say.
    And if you'd told me the King hub sounds like a Zip-Tie I would ignore your opinion, and I think that maybe you shouldn't use the internet when you're hammered.
    As far as getting all "psyco" on it, I was, actually, hoping to get some validation for the expense, because these things aren't cheap. However, I specifically took price out of the equation so that the actual merits of each could be discussed.
    Cost vs. performance? An entirely different thread. In fact, lots of entirely different threads. Actually, that is probably one of the most played-out topics in this forum. If you like to roll on cheap componentry and frames more power to you. If you can kick @ss while you're doing, even better. Awesome. Hooray for you. I don't care. All I wanted to know was what people thought of the two options I presented them. I got my results. I am a satisfied customer.
    And the thread wasn't really pointless, now was it? After all, I decided which awesome wheelset I would buy, appreciated input from other members here and have had fun with this interesting dialogue between the two of us. A success in all regards.

Oh.. by the way: The Grumpy Bikeshop Employee Schtick was tolerably cool 10, 15 years ago. In current markets people get sick of the attitude really quick and go shop on the internet. Hope it's fun fitting people for items they're going home to "think about" while they're buying them via Google Shopping.

So in summary:
    I got a cool wheelset. Thanks to the people that offered relvant input. I found it valuable.
    You should read posts before you comment on them.
    Don't drink so much.

Merry Christmas! Happy New Year
    Last edited by subliminalshiver; 12-29-2009 at 05:17 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 2