Chris king SingleSpeed body- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Chris king SingleSpeed body

Hi,

I'm using a Chris King SingleSpeed rearhub in my GF RIG for about one year now and it's really performing great, had to adjust the thing for one time but it holds up very fine now!
    Now I want to use this hub for a 3 or 4 speed setup, but the body is made of alu and can't stand the narrow (non wide based) Shimano cogs. Is it possible to just shorten a stock King Steel body (9 speed) by a skilled benchman to make it fit the SingleSpeed hub? Is there a difference between the SS inside and the 9 speed, or is it just a bit wider ?

Thanks

mtbr member
    The Surly cogs (wide base) are specifically designed such that you can stack them to make a multi-geared setup with 9-speed spacing.

You can check CK to see if they have a stainless steel version of the freewheel (they have them for the standard hubs).

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Jeff Jones made a 4 speed off of a CK SS hub...I think he just used Shimano cogs....

see for yourself....The 4 Speed at Sea Otter

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

I know

Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable
    The Surly cogs (wide base) are specifically designed such that you can stack them to make a multi-geared setup with 9-speed spacing.

You can check CK to see if they have a stainless steel version of the freewheel (they have them for the standard hubs).
    I thought about the Surly cog-idea but they don't offer a "32" for instance.

King does have a stainless version of the 9 speed body (I have one that eventually will be modified) but they don't have a SS body (they want to sell their own wide based KingCogs!)

chips & bier

Depending on gearing...

Couldn't you use Shimano cogs-on-spider? Dura-Ace will go 21-23-27 max. The spider extends directly under the cog, so you should contact between spider and body over the full width of your 3-speed setup.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

pins

Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Jeff Jones made a 4 speed off of a CK SS hub...I think he just used Shimano cogs....

see for yourself....The 4 Speed at Sea Otter
    Jeff connects the 4 cogs with small bolts / pins, the body will be damaged just a little bit less. I want a full bombproof setup !

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

11-18-25-32

Quote Originally Posted by eric
    Couldn't you use Shimano cogs-on-spider? Dura-Ace will go 21-23-27 max. The spider extends directly under the cog, so you should contact between spider and body over the full width of your 3-speed setup.
    I want to run 11-18-25-32, so the Dura Ace cogs-on-spider will not work.

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubert
    King does have a stainless version of the 9 speed body but they don't have a SS body
    I asked them 2 years ago and they did not offer a stainless version of the singlespeed drive shell. I'd have to say a converting a 9s drive shell won't work - there's much more to it than just a shorter body... different bearing layout/spacing, different axle, etc.

Other options...

a) Stack wide-base cogs from Surly/Endless/Boone

b) Beg Jeff Jones to make you a cassette

c) Find someone local to help you pin/weld/bolt/whatever thin cogs together

d) Ditch the King and get a different singlespeed cassette hub with a steel drive shell from On-One, Nashbar, etc... or a titanium drive shell from Hadley, if you need the rapid engagement (I would ).

No Justice = No Peace

Wide is wide

I have a Bontrager SS hub which I want to use with just two cogs. If I use endless cogs, I am goin gto have to have them milled off to fit on the casette with a small spacer between. Full size, the two cogs and a 1mm spacer take up the entire casette, leaving no room for the lock ring. I talked to Marshall at endless, and he thought taking 1.5 mm off the back of the big one (20) and 1.5 from the front of the small one (18) would work okay. We will see. I'm going to try it with cassette cogs first to make sure of my gear choices before I tear up two new endless cogs.

(note: I'm running 32 and 34 on the cranks, giving me two gears to choose from. Gotta loosen the EBB and move the chain over. Same number of teeth gives the same chain length, give or take, so the seat height and so on should remain good enough.)

I should have my new frame in two or three weeks. Pics will definitely follow.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

What about Hadley SS hub

Is the titanium body used on the Hadley SingleSpeed hub resistant against narrow shimano cogs ?

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubert
    Is the titanium body used on the Hadley SingleSpeed hub resistant against narrow shimano cogs ?
    Not sure - I would guess it's tougher than aluminum but probably less so than stainless steel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    "The titanium freehub body includes aluminum spacers for use with a single cog with a wide range of chainline adjustment. Without the spacers, you can use the individual cogs from a Sram cassette to run up to 5 speeds on this hub."

http://www.unrealcycles.com/item.php?view=188

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I wonder how heavy that Hadley is compared to the King/240.....

hands up who wants to die
    Hubert: why such a wide cog spread? If you must have 11 and 32T, why don't you just go 9 speed?

I'm about to get one of the Hadley hubs, but I won't be able to report on the weight as I'm ordering a built wheel. The Hadley is definitely heavier than the King though because of the Ti shell.
    It will be SS with an Endless cog for a while, but I may do a 3-speed later on (using those nice Surly cogs).

With three speed, I'm planning for a "commuting/descending" gear, a "climbing" gear and something in between. Too bad the Surlys are so much $$$; buying three of them is about the same price as a pretty good cassette.

The 2 ratios I'm considering are:
    ring cog ratio
    36 20 1.80
    36 17 2.12
    36 14 2.57
    or
    32 17 1.88
    32 15 2.13
    32 13 2.46
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

byklvr

New question here. My two cents...

1.Goto dirtragmag.com, and search in their forums for the Tom Mitchell 4 speed.

2. Couldn't you just take the spider from a shimano or Sram cassette system, use the four gears and just knife/mill down the excess material there to suit your needs. If I remember I think that might be how Jeff did that trick for Sea Otter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I cannot find the info in DirtRag. Can you forward the link to it?

byklvr

... and if we just ... I'll look up the issue in the oval(porcelain) office filing system...

Quote Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
    I cannot find the info in DirtRag. Can you forward the link to it?

..and either scan it in or get you a link later tonight.

dutchie
    Jan 2004
    here's the link, for some reason I have it bookmarked.

http://www.dirtragmag.com/print/article.php?ID=179

cheers
    richard.

byklvr

Idea! Right on!!!

Thanks Rich, I was just getting ready to dig through the back issue stack...I sometimes scrawl notes on the border, but with all the black colored fonts, it would've taken a while.

Members who have read this thread: 0