Chris King Hubs - SS's and others- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Chris King Hubs - SS's and others

To make it short and sweet -

Are Chris King hubs worth the price of what they cost??? Specifically the ISO SS's but general opinions will do too. I like the shape of the hub, but wondering if I should just get the Hopes or Hadleys if I want the colors but to pay much less.

conjoinicorned
    can't say much about the hopes or the hadleys....but they are both nice and get great ratings.

i'm on my 3rd set of kings and i will continue to ride king. i have both the geared and SS specific versions. IMO they are worth the money, but some may feel differently as they are pricey. fun bolts rule.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    They might make you sleep better at night knowing they are on your bike, but I can't say they are worth it. IMO it is nice to be able to replace just a freewheel and not have it be complicated.

Something about angular contact bearings is cool too for wheels! I wonder why Campy and Shimano still use them???

But than again to be a bike geek is to be some what of a hypocrite, I have a white ind one hub and like it a lot.

mtbr member
    If you want to go all out check out the Industry Nine wheels. Do a search for "Industry" in the thread title. (Kings would be my second choice, but both are equal in hub build and performance, I9 just makes an awsome wheel).

Space Ghost
    If you are going to spend the cash for Kings, go with I9s. They are incredible. If you are trying to stay on a budget, go with Hope Pro 2s. Solid build, good bling, decent engagement, and not too heavy.

veinte nueve pulgadas
    Heard nothing but good stuff about Hope Pro II. If I was on a budget, thats the way I'd go, laced to an Arch.

I'm a Hadley man. Same performance/reliability that I got from king some years ago. I have a SS and geared version, both running as SS. King is great if you want bling. No experience with I9. I'm no fan of wasting money on front wheels. I'm riding a Bonty Race Lite on both bikes. I used to run Hope XCs. I sold those wheels off to go tubeless. You can still get those on clearance for $50 I think. Great front hub.

mtbr member
    I was kind of surprised with the difference of cost between Hadley and King rear hubs. It wasn't as large as I would've expected it to be. Put it this way, it wasn't enough for a customer of mine to switch to Hadley, despite already being over his original budget for a wheelset.

veinte nueve pulgadas
    Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    I was kind of surprised with the difference of cost between Hadley and King rear hubs. It wasn't as large as I would've expected it to be.
    Yeah, the price differential isn't nearly what it used to be. My first Hadley was a deal from Mtn High Cyclery. Customer wanted one hub, they ordered the wrong one. The wrong one became mine at a nice price (wish I had built it tubeless back then.) As Hadley's reputation grows, so does the price, me thinks.

I bought the SS version last year. There was a bit of sticker shock, but I loved the first one, and I knew it was worth it. I didn't need a colorful hub, so I didn't need a King. Performance and reliability are the same, IMO.

mtbr member
    Go for the new Kings 2008 with intergrated disk previous have the adapter. You will same money with Kings, friends have gone through multiple Hopes etc. and you will still have your King.

Members who have read this thread: 0