Chicks dig SS- Mtbr.com

Thread: Chicks dig SS

Nervous Descender

Chicks dig SS

It is nice to be single.

Four rides after the breakup with my gears and shifters, I meet my buddy KG for an after work ride on one of our favorite local trails. The trail is mostly flowing, rollercoaster singletrack, with no major technical sections and a few short but steep climbs. The only significant obstacles are logs and log piles- nothing much over two feet high. There is one tough climb where the trail gains perhaps several hundred feet as it climbs steeply up a small ravine.

Now, I'm not the world's strongest rider. I'm in decent shape, and technically proficient enough, but my riding style could best be described as "tenative", or perhaps "thoughtful". I'm almost never one to "blast through" a challenging section, I tend to over analyze the risks and finesse my way through. In the words of another guy I ride with, "sometimes you have to just f'n go for it". I rarely do.

In contrast, KG is (usually) much faster than me- he has more experience and what he lacks in grace and technical ability, he makes up for in speed and preservation of momentum. He's usually ahead of me on this trail, with the exception being the short, steep climbs, where my "sit on the nose and spin" technique sometimes leaves him walking where I can still ride (though not very fast).

At any rate, I show up at the parking area with my singlespeed- conservatively geared at 32:20. As we gear up, KG checks it out and comments on the minimalist look. He's riding his old 8 speed hardtail- having some mechanical issues with his Jamis FS.

We mount up and spin off down the bike path- the trailhead proper is about three miles away. The SS is a dog on the bike path- 32:20 gearing gets me passed by everyone, including a grandma on a Ross 3 speed and a family riding a tandem and towing a Burley. I start to wonder if the SS thing was a bad idea.

Finally we arrive at the trail proper and enter the singletrack. At last, I have the religious experience with the SS that I'd been hoping for. I'm still adjusting to the SS, and while I don't make every climb, the SS is smooth and faster than my gearie through the rollercoaster sections and KG is working to keep up. I blast over logs with more grace and momentum than I'd carry with gears, and without fear of chainring contact or stalling. I carry more speed into corners, and more speed out. As the trail turns uphill out of the ravine, I stand and mash on the pedals- not much finesse involved. The SS takes off and climbs like a demon where I'd usually spin up in the granny. I don't see or hear KG behind me, and end up waiting for him at the top of the big climb for a couple minutes. I can't believe how easily I cleaned it- it's steep and loose at the top, with lots of babyheads, and there are some nights where I don't make that one on the gearie.

Later, we're forced to break and regroup when KG catches a stick which shifts his chain and deraileur into his spokes. KG comments on how fast (and quiet) the SS is. I reply "Yeah- the only sound is the sound of my labored breathing."

On the ride back to the car, a college hottie checks me out and goes out of her way to be noticed (this never happens to me). KG asks what that was about and jokes that I should have gotten her number (I'm in my mid-30s and happily married). I reply "Chicks dig SS."

Amen to SS.
    Last edited by Adirondack Blues; 07-20-2006 at 08:48 PM.
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

Reviewer/Tester

Good job!

Not only do chicks dig SS, but if you ride rigid, you have to beat 'em off with a stick !

Combine SS, rigid and 29'er ....... well, 'nuff said..

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Sounds like the trails at Lock 7 ?
    Good fun on the SS , I am kind of a local and ride there once in a while

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    IT's true. I was doing a trackstand at a traffic light this morning and when the light turned gree, some hottie coming the other way leaned out of her car to give me a thumbs up. She was totally digging my SS and I think she liked it even more because it was a 29er.
    Thanks to www.fortframes.com

meow

Guys dig chicks on SS

I get a lot more attention from the mens on the SS than the gearie. It's a hot bike that magically transforms me into a hot mama. I look just average on the Turner.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Me Too

Hey I get much more attention from men when I commute on my one speed. I can't help being a little flattered, yet still I'm not comfortable with gayness.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Traktor
    Hey I get much more attention from men when I commute on my one speed. I can't help being a little flattered, yet still I'm not comfortable with gayness.
    It's funny that you associate guys checking out your ride as gay. If that is the case, can I conclude you are calling everyone in this form gay?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oneder
    It's funny that you associate guys checking out your ride as gay. If that is the case, can I conclude you are calling everyone in this form gay?
    I can't figure out where his post even came from?

The only thing about sex that makes me sick is having to hear about other's so often.

1. Crack shell
    2. Step out of shell

Live Free Or Die!
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Colossus
    I can't figure out where his post even came from?

The only thing about sex that makes me sick is having to hear about other's so often.

1. Crack shell
    2. Step out of shell

Yes, that is very true. I agree with you there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Try Traktor's post ^^^^

mtbr member

Hmmm....Survey

Quote Originally Posted by Adirondack Blues
    ... "Chicks dig SS.":
    Let's get the real scoop - how 'bout a survey post on the Womens Lounge. What do Chicks dig most - Rigid SS, SS w/ frt Sussy, SS full Sussy, or Unicycle?

Also, Does size Matter: 29er SS Rigid, 26er SS Rigid, .......

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Fort James
    IT's true. I was doing a trackstand at a traffic light this morning and when the light turned gree, some hottie coming the other way leaned out of her car to give me a thumbs up. She was totally digging my SS and I think she liked it even more because it was a 29er.
    She was excited by what you had 'tween your legs....
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

No Justice = No Peace

ummm

I got L O N G travel on my 29'er, and still I find chicks just don't notice my bike. They dig me, that's true. Ask Ricardo, he knows who the real Rico Suave is, and it has nohting to do with my wheel size.

It's all about the rider.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

mtbr member
    Well, as our friend sally is so fond of pointing out, if you're so much faster on the single, you just weren't working hard enough on your gearie. After all, there isn't any logical reason you were actually faster....

Just kidding, by the way. I've had similar experiences....as the ride, I mean, not the ladies giving me the up and down.

Your friend's name is KG? Start calling him Rage Cage....any D fans in here?

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky 7
    Well, as our friend sally is so fond of pointing out, if you're so much faster on the single, you just weren't working hard enough on your gearie.
    yes please, let's bring that here.

i have found the fairer sex does NOT want me wearing shrunken shorts either.
    nope the all black, single speed, rigid, 29, cut off t and baggies - full on stereo-type - that's the ticket.

dont forget ductape...nothing screams 'utility' like a bike and equipment plastered in it...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Nervous Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky 7
    Well, as our friend sally is so fond of pointing out, if you're so much faster on the single, you just weren't working hard enough on your gearie. After all, there isn't any logical reason you were actually faster....

Just kidding, by the way. I've had similar experiences....as the ride, I mean, not the ladies giving me the up and down.

Your friend's name is KG? Start calling him Rage Cage....any D fans in here?
    I agree that I wasn't working hard enough on my gearie- that's the secret of SS- there is no option of taking it easy. I also did not have as much fun or experience the sensation of flow like I do on the SS. Actually, in some ways, riding the SS is easier than riding the gearie- since going SS, I've cleaned some lines that I never was able to make on a gearie. Also, beer tastes colder an better after an SS ride

On your left!!!!!

I agree

But I have found that lady's dig guys with kilts on ss even more. They always want to lift up my kilt and see what I have on under thy kilt. My answer ---------------AIR.
    I'm poor, broke,busted,disgusted and can't be trusted!

Every man belieives in something and I believe I'll have one more beer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    She was excited by what you had 'tween your legs....

Please find your user manual for your digicam, and read up on a feature called MACRO.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by 8200rpm
    Please find your user manual for your digicam, and read up on a feature called MACRO.
    It's right here: /mnt/win_c/Docs/pdf/Z750_en.pdf Used that feature.

The focus is perfect, it was the jitters. It was the 16 year old rickety old dog bumping my leg as she tried to get past me to her bed. It was the second bike in a four bike leaning stack. I only have a Rowi camera clamp and not a full tripod for low light / slow shutter speed conditions.

Go see your opthamologist and get your trifocals adjusted tomorrow.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

Nervous Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by saviour machine
    But I have found that lady's dig guys with kilts on ss even more. They always want to lift up my kilt and see what I have on under thy kilt. My answer ---------------AIR.
    Argh- failed t' mention t' fact tha' I was wearin' me kilt, did I?

Members who have read this thread: 0