Chequamegon what gear????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

... and if we just ... Chequamegon what gear????

Heading out for the Chequamegon and I am wondering what gear to use?? Sounds flat and fast I think I am going to take my 29er and am not sure what gear to ride. If anyone has done this race and knows about the gearing it would be great to hear from you. Also any details on the race would be great thanks Steve

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    We already somewhat discussed this in an earlier thread, and the prevailing thought there seemed somewhere over 2:1 for a 29er (32:14, 34:16). I rode the short and fat course out to the last 15 miles or so of the 40 course today. I rode a 32:16 today on my Rig and it seemed pretty tough, though I did do a hard bounding workout last night which definitely left my legs feeling a bit dead especially when compounded with the hot weather today. I'm leaning towards either sticking with the 32:16 or maybe going to a 32:15 which would be about the same as the 34:16.

The course is dry and dusty as all getout. I'm hoping for lots of rain this week, (some is forcasted) and more rain on raceday. If I get my wish for rain for next saturday, I'll definitely stick with the 32:16
    YO MAMA

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chequama Mama
    I'll definitely stick with the 32:16
    YO MAMA
    Book of Singlespeeds Chapter 29 verse 2

and it was good.
    Profound esoteric sentence encapsulating my philosophy and world view here.

mtbr member

2:1 is good

Quote Originally Posted by FireDude
    Heading out for the Chequamegon and I am wondering what gear to use?? Sounds flat and fast I think I am going to take my 29er and am not sure what gear to ride. If anyone has done this race and knows about the gearing it would be great to hear from you. Also any details on the race would be great thanks Steve
    Hey Fire Dude...just read on the Midwest forum that you're cpming out from Utah for the race. That's quite a little jaunt! Anyway, the course isn't what I'd call flat...there isn't any real big elevation gain at any one time but you go up and down alot. It's a very open, ski trail and low maintenance gravel road course with lots of rollers. Especially in the last 10 miles of the race. They'll wear on you by the end of the race. It's a great course for a 29er and I think a 2:1 gear will be a great place to start. I'm doing the Short and Fat this year and will be on my Monkey with a 34x18 or 34x16 gear...I don't have a 17 to do the 2:1 but one of these will be close.