Chequamegon on a SS bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Chequamegon on a SS bike

Rode the Misfit. 34/16. No cramping. 3 hrs 16 minutes. Felt great!

Misfit Psycles
    well done.
    34:16 eh? that ratio has cost me 2 (two) (deux) isis bb's this year...makes the ladies scream though.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I rocked the Rig with a 32x15. 2:46. Cramping towards the end. Too big of a gear for this pansy. Next time it'll be a 32x16 or 32x17. The rollout wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be, probably because I started so far back there weren't that many people with dillusions of grandeur trying to win the race in the first mile. Even on the (flatter) first half of the course, I really didn't have much "punch" in the legs. Post firetower hill on the birkie trail was just painful. Fun race though, my first 40 after many short and fats. One guy who beat me was running a 32x19 on a gorgeous 29er Seven. He rocked the second half of the course. I admired his intelligence a lot, especially when I killed myself on the second half of the course. Possibly my favorite bike of the weekend was an old Trek 990 lugged frame with horizontals brazed in and repainted. Sweet bike.

Ran into Ernesto at the start. Saw Scoutdog getting an award on sunday, but didn't get a chance to say hi. Nice job winning whatever it was that you won!

Spent Sunday measuring how far people could toss a Murray. Some guy managed 35 feet.

YO MAMA

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

32x16 was the magic number...

It felt pretty good for the most part except when I was going backwards on the road and yo mama. It was enough for a 2:45 finish.
    Profound esoteric sentence encapsulating my philosophy and world view here.

jrf
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtail6
    It felt pretty good for the most part except when I was going backwards on the road and yo mama. It was enough for a 2:45 finish.
    My first post and my first Cheq 40 on a single speed. Did everyone think the course was extremely fast. With little training and no gears, I bet my time from last year by almost 30 minutes. Finished in 3:10, but felt like I was going backwards on the roll out. Used 32 x 16, is there any better gearing to not give up soooo much on the road. I had to pass 350-400 people from Rosie's to the finish.

one ratio...many speeds
    Jan 2004
    I ran the same gear as Ernesto 34/16. The course was much faster this year. I was in better condition last year, yet this year I beat my time by over 15 minutes, 2:44 vs. 3:00 last year.
    jrf, there's not much you can do at the start. You just keep picking 'em off 1 by 1 as you go. I think most SS'ers probably pass a couple hundred people from the 00 split to the end of the race.
    Also, check your times on the web site, there was some sort of timing error and the preliminary posted times were off by over a minute.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    This was by far one of the most fun races I have done. I rode a GF rig with 32/16 gearing. Finished 20th at 2:46. I also think the course was very fast. I was over 12 minutes faster than last year but about 100 places down from last year. It was a real head trip passing all of those geared bikes on the uphills!

Members who have read this thread: 0