chequamegon gearing- Mtbr.com
    rocky iv style
    Mar 2004

chequamegon gearing

i know its a long way off and i don't even know if i'll get in, but i'm bored and curious. i recently sent in my registration and if i get in i'm planning to ride the rigid 1x1 which is currently 32:16. i was wondering who has ss'ed it and what the preferred gearing is. from my understanding you can either gear down, make the climbs, but sacrifice speed in the flats...or gear up, walk a couple hills, but keep up in the flats.
    yes, i know its march, humor me anyway.
    thanks

I like to ride bikes!

gearing...

Monte and I are planning on doing a preride just to pick gearing. Right now we dont have a set date but I'm sure it will be mid summer. I'm thinking for me 2/1 . Some hammer will probaby win riding some sort of giant gear. I did the Ore to Shore 32/15 with semi sliks and it worked well. But the 40 is far more hilly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yep. that pre-ride has got to happen. anyway, i have talked to a couple guys who did it.

one guy is mid 40's, like me, experienced and possessed of crazy endurance if not quite the speed of youth. he used a 2:1 and had a good ride. like scoutdog he noted that mofo gets hilly in the second half, and it is a long race. he said he begged for "racer pushes" on the roll out from speeding geared riders, but apart from that he just used the spun out sections to rest some. he will use 2:1 again.

another guy was unofficial fastest SSer. he is whippet lean and crazy fast and i have essentially nothing in common with this dude insofar as any bike riding goes, apart from the number of gears on our bikes and the fact that we both think my little 7th grade girl's vintage ibis is wicked cool. he used something on the line of a 42 x 16 or 17? i said to him " god DAM !!! ", and he just smiled.

i'm kinda leaning toward a tooth over 2:1 right now. as arlo guthrie once sang - " i'm not proud" - , and i don't mind running. i'll have to shed a few lb's tho.

man, is that gonna be fun. tim

I like to ride bikes!

Is it wrong?...

How about getting a couple of gearie buddies to push ya down the road start? Or better yet hire a couple of domestiques to push you on all the road sections of the course. Or better yet get LA to tow ya with a rope? Just few thoughts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hey man, i know. some people have no shame. shoot, i didn't even do that for my little 12 y/o girl in her first short and fat! worst of all, you know this guy - big city boy that he is. no names, tho. tim

I like to ride bikes!

What kind of...

What kind of Dad are you, not helpin out your offspring! I'm sure you would have if you could have kept up with her. No dis. just havin fun!
    Bill

Single Speed Cyclist
    Jan 2004

Raced it in '02 with a flip-flop

In 2002 I ran a 34x16 to start, and then filpped to a 34x18 for the last 10 miles. You really need a good spot up front just behind the preferred start group. The traffic makes the ss ing pretty difficult. I just did not want to get up at 4:30 am.

34x16 should be fine for anyone who is in decent shape, I only switched gears, beause i had it there.

Good luck