Chequamegon fat tire, Really want to ride my SS!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Chequamegon fat tire, Really want to ride my SS!

Getting back into riding this year and have been working out on my geared ride.
    The past two weeks i felt strong enough to ride my SS and loved it!!
    Now i would love to ride the SS in the Chequamegon this year?
    I have done this race many times on a geared and thats why I'm a little unsure of the SS.
    Fire roads and plenty on hills!!

I ride a 33-16/19 and looking for advice!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Do it! This race was won on a S.S. a few years ago (36x16 gearing...)

mtbr member
    I did it three times in a row in the SS category. Every year I shaved more time off the first time I did it. It was awesome doing it SS and I think you'll have a blast as well. Don't be afraid to walk some of the hills.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    DO IT. What's the worst that will happen? You will get tired and your legs will hurt. Same as on a geared rig!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin View Post
    I did it three times in a row in the SS category. Every year I shaved more time off the first time I did it. It was awesome doing it SS and I think you'll have a blast as well. Don't be afraid to walk some of the hills.
    What gearing did you use the three times you did it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Draft View Post
    What gearing did you use the three times you did it?
    1st year I did it on my Gunnar Rock Hound. 32/16.

2nd year on a Misfit. 34/17.

3rd year on a Salsa Las Cruces. 34/16.

SUBLIM8er
    Do it before it's too late and you can't. I ran it in a 33/14 in 2010 for 10th. This year I'm in again and will be running 36/16 probably. The roll out is the worst part IMHO because you lose so much time. My advice is to start turning a big gear now on the hills and often. Find some gravel and get your spin on. Training your legs to do both things well at both ends of the extreme is key. Much more satisfying for me in SS then geared for sure. Go for it and don't look back.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Axis II View Post
    Do it before it's too late and you can't. I ran it in a 33/14 in 2010 for 10th. This year I'm in again and will be running 36/16 probably. The roll out is the worst part IMHO because you lose so much time. My advice is to start turning a big gear now on the hills and often. Find some gravel and get your spin on. Training your legs to do both things well at both ends of the extreme is key. Much more satisfying for me in SS then geared for sure. Go for it and don't look back.
    10th great job!
    33/14 BIG gear 29er?
    how did you do on the hills after firetower.
    Yea the spin out of town must be crazy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    How tough to turn a 36x16??

That's one of 'magic gears'....

SUBLIM8er
    10th great job!
    33/14 BIG gear 29er?
    how did you do on the hills after firetower.
    Yea the spin out of town must be crazy.
    I should clarify 10th in SS class not overall so, I'm no rock star. 33/14 29er yes. It is a big gear and the hills after firetower were tough but I was able to clean them. I think it was a pretty good gear (for me) because I could spin on the flat gravel sections and hang with some fast geared packs. It's better to gear higher and run the steep hills then have to low a gear and lose tons of time on the flats. This year I'm training specifically for SS with the fixie on the road and only riding the SS on dirt. Hopefully it makes a difference. 33/14 is a 67.56 inch gear w/the 29 and 2.1 tire. On second thought I may want to going slightly bigger with a 36/15 for a 68.78 inch gear which would get me a little more time on the roll out- It's six of one and half a dozen of the other because the bigger gear will lose some time on the hills.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by Once Bitten View Post
    How tough to turn a 36x16??

That's one of 'magic gears'....
    What's a magic gear?
    William S. Burroughs

Teen Wolf
    i ran a 34x17 on my 26er. next time i do it will be on my 29er and i'll probably gear 34x18 or 36x18

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I should clarify 10th in SS class not overall so, I'm no rock star. 33/14 29er yes. It is a big gear and the hills after firetower were tough but I was able to clean them. I think it was a pretty good gear (for me) because I could spin on the flat gravel sections and hang with some fast geared packs. It's better to gear higher and run the steep hills then have to low a gear and lose tons of time on the flats. This year I'm training specifically for SS with the fixie on the road and only riding the SS on dirt. Hopefully it makes a difference. 33/14 is a 67.56 inch gear w/the 29 and 2.1 tire. On second thought I may want to going slightly bigger with a 36/15 for a 68.78 inch gear which would get me a little more time on the roll out- It's six of one and half a dozen of the other because the bigger gear will lose some time on the hills.
    33x14 outch!!! 10th in ss is a rock star. Great ride.
    I ran with the ss and had a blast. Put on a rigid fork on the week of the race and im not taking it off.
    Ran 33x17 and ended up a little bit behind you at 17th. If i could run 33x16 next year I would be surprised and happy.

I wish I found this ss 10 years ago.

SUBLIM8er
    33x14 outch!!! 10th in ss is a rock star. Great ride.
    I ran with the ss and had a blast. Put on a rigid fork on the week of the race and im not taking it off.
    Ran 33x17 and ended up a little bit behind you at 17th. If i could run 33x16 next year I would be surprised and happy.

I wish I found this ss 10 years ago.
    Congrats! That's a great finish for a first effort. I went with the 36/15 this year for a 2:28 finish and I worked for every minute. Too big a gear for me this year, but I was unable to train all summer due to West Nile Virus (probably caught while in Cable.) Next year I think I'll run it 36/16, which would have allowed me to suffer less on the punchy climbs near the end for a better top end. Hind sight is 20/20, though. Perhaps when I'm 60 I'll have this race dialed in!
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Congrats! That's a great finish for a first effort. I went with the 36/15 this year for a 2:28 finish and I worked for every minute. Too big a gear for me this year, but I was unable to train all summer due to West Nile Virus (probably caught while in Cable.) Next year I think I'll run it 36/16, which would have allowed me to suffer less on the punchy climbs near the end for a better top end. Hind sight is 20/20, though. Perhaps when I'm 60 I'll have this race dialed in!
    By chance did you have orange rims?

mtbr member
    What's a magic gear?
    Normally it means a ratio that will fit in vertical dropouts without a tensioner, a combination of cog, sprocket and chain stay length.

But in this case I think he was being ironic
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

SUBLIM8er
    By chance did you have orange rims?
    Black rims here. Peace Cofee skin suit.
    William S. Burroughs

Members who have read this thread: 0