Chequamegon- Mtbr.com

Thread: Chequamegon

mtbr member

Chequamegon

Who's doing this race? I am. I sent in my form along with my hard earned cash to them on Saturday. SS. I am so damn tired.

I like to ride bikes!

I'm there!

It will be my 17th year! This is their first year with a SS class!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i am there also. i pestered the fat man relentlessly for a SS class. i will park the tandem ( pestered him for that class 15 - 20 years ago . . . . . . . . . . ) and bust out the SS to see if i can hang with scoutdog till rosie's field, anyway. speaking of that, we should do a pre-ride gearing check for that course someday, all !!! whatsay ?? could be a big-a$$ gear is the ticket up there . . . . . . . . . . . .any ideas ??? no better way than to make a run up there and have at it, eh? gotta weekend or midweek day? any other data ? the dude that was first SS last year had something lke a 42 x 17 . i cain't do that, i am sure.

in a shamelss plug, take a gander at the entry form photo's and you will see a pic of my little girl and me on the tandem, circling warily at the start of the dirt crit. it is a good pic, and we are stoking. tim

I like to ride bikes!

Lets go!

I'm in! Pick a date, maybe a weekend in june or july. It would be cool to get a big bunch a people to do it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'll be there. A big gear is definately in order. 36x15 gonna do it? maybe. Hopefully, be up there the week of 7/4 to give it a try.

mtbr member

doods! that would be so badass!

yeah! I'm in! pick or make a long weekend a la choy!
    Allof us nasty breath SS'ers. WAHOOO!!!!! I'll do it 33/18

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yeah. i will look at the schedule and weekends and whatnot.

anyway, after 17 chequamegons what say ye on the SS gear choice, scoutdog? best guess. speaking for my own old, balding, weight gaining self i just dunno. plus, i haven't done it on a single bike since like 1987 or so - back in the day the wife and i were collectively close to 50 lbs lighter, and we had a bad-a$$ 54 ring that we used to actually get spun. the years went by and the rings lost a few teeth every year.

i am thinking a little bigger than 2:1, but how much bigger dunno. thoughts? tim

mtbr member

for me...

Quote Originally Posted by mon t
    yeah. i will look at the schedule and weekends and whatnot.

anyway, after 17 chequamegons what say ye on the SS gear choice, scoutdog? best guess. speaking for my own old, balding, weight gaining self i just dunno. plus, i haven't done it on a single bike since like 1987 or so - back in the day the wife and i were collectively close to 50 lbs lighter, and we had a bad-a$$ 54 ring that we used to actually get spun. the years went by and the rings lost a few teeth every year.

i am thinking a little bigger than 2:1, but how much bigger dunno. thoughts? tim
    I am thinking to use a 33/18, just for the cholo fun factor.

I like to ride bikes!

Not sure...

I think I would test ride it at 2:1, all those rolling hills after the fire tower will be killer. I'm sure some young hammerhead will ride sompin like 53/12, but not me. I road the Ore to Shore at 32/15 with semi slicks and I think that would be too hard for the 40.
    Last weekend I gave the Fat Man my registration and a sob story of why I should get a perfered start. I'm crossing my fingers!
    Tim did ya do the Birkie? If so what time? I suck... it took me 3:50.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    you b-stard. if you nab a preferred start i will be forced to sleep in the street like a dog with my drop bar pink SS as a pillow back on the front row of the cheap seats just so's i can try to wheelsuck you to rosie's field. either that, or i will have to cook up a passle of liies to tell the fatman in an attempt to wheadle my way to the "coop" like you did.

i was gonna do the kort with the girl, but life got in the way last minute - life, and various coaches and music practices and b-ball tourneys and god knows what all. enjoy those little kid years, my man! anyway, she is actually too young and we were gonna lie about her age and maybe that isn't the best idea long term. i heard it was not the speediest year - sometimes you just gotta pay and that is that - good effort. sucked not going but the dad thing was the right thing this time around.

i hear you on the hills in the last half of the 40. patience being a virtue. (gearing) discretion being the beter part of valour . . . . and all that. this is why we gotta go check it out. and, i am gonna be doing some running and riding the powercranks getting those hip flexors ready to hop off and run.

man, is that gonna be fun. tim

No Reputation!

Ran a 36X18 way back in 2000

and it was too little on the flats and too big on the hills. Yep, back in the day there weren't many of us on singles. The few, the proud, I'm just gettin' teary eyed thinkin' about it. It's a heck of a good time and although it's not a great course for a SS bike, it is long and hard. I think it's really really great that he added the SS class. I'll see you guys there!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I won't be at the race (gahd damn school!) But I would definitely be into joining in on the pre-ride

Yo Mama

Master of the Obvious

Will be there

This will be first time doing the Cheq 40 on a bike other than a Klein, I am doing it on my Karate Monkey, I look forward to the challenge!

Members who have read this thread: 0