Checkit! a novel tension method- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Checkit! a novel tension method

wouldn't have tried this, but I won the MRP at a race. Seems to work excellently, and preserves the clean look of the rear cog. Not as nice as the real thing though. Anybody else tried this out yet?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Should work fine, if more difficult to adjust the tension.

Do not forget the other 3 chainring bolts before you ride it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

ah, yes

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Should work fine, if more difficult to adjust the tension.

Do not forget the other 3 chainring bolts before you ride it.
    Astute observation. It is in "proof of concept" mode in the picture. I have not yet ridden it, and really it is my wife's bike. Also, yes, the adjustment is a bit trickier but not so bad really. But seriously, I left the chainring bolts off to provide some talking points if the other feature was deemed too boring.

A "disciple" question: perhaps we ran into you on McKenzie a few (3) weeks back? Got back to our car and found a DOD card. Cool.

(was) Big in Japan

Tidy!

Quote Originally Posted by obaby
    wouldn't have tried this, but I won the MRP at a race. Seems to work excellently, and preserves the clean look of the rear cog. Not as nice as the real thing though. Anybody else tried this out yet?

Looks very neat - well done. I seem to remember others here (long ago) couldn't get that setup to work. You can dye that roller black, too, if you want to make it less obvious....takes about 10 minutes.
    Ride.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I've seen that before. MikeSee had it on a Slingshot he was selling (right Mike?).

Medium?

It'll be a bit noisy

You'll notice the chain rolling over the roller. I've tried it before with a Truvative guide, and I didn't like it.

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    You'll notice the chain rolling over the roller. I've tried it before with a Truvative guide, and I didn't like it.
    Comments:

The MRP rollers are soft rubber and roll silently, there is no noise unless you have something rubbing elsewhere.

MRP rollers come in black.

Cheers,

Dave
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

Misfit Psycles
    if your wife doesn't apply a monster amount of power to the pedals all should be fine.

just one question, why, why WHY would anyone want their wife to ride with them? am i missing something?
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    just one question, why, why WHY would anyone want their wife to ride with them? am i missing something?
    Are you serious? Are you married or asking hypothetically?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Wink Hmm...

Because it's fun to ride behind her on climbs and watch her say "Hi!" in a chipper Cat 1 girlie voice to all the tough guys in oxygen debt. Their reactions are PRICELESS!

Or this: Because I WUV her! Awww.

Heh...

JMH

just one question, why, why WHY would anyone want their wife to ride with them? am i missing something?[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by JMH; 10-22-2005 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Punctuation

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

some reasons...

why, why WHY would anyone want their wife to ride with them? am i missing something?
    and, yes, you certainly are.

Misfit Psycles
    hmmm. there seems to be a pattern here.
    well good on ya, guess it comes down to the specific relationship...riding is my 20 y/o office admin and lunch tyme tryst...a secret joy i can't bring myself to share...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Medium?
    why, why WHY would anyone want their wife to ride with them? am i missing something?
    and, yes, you certainly are.
    Ok, ok, I give in. I'll ride with your wife.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

test ride: report

First off, nothing wrong with flying solo nogearshere.

Took the bike out for a test ride. The MRP is silent and butter smooth. Started dropping the chain though, in rough areas, or high torque applications. Narrowed the problem down to...the YBB. Once I eliminated the suspension movement, the problem has apparently gone away. But, considering I'm using ramped cogs and a 9-speed chain, I'm sure I'm still flirting with disaster. It sucks to drop a chain mid power-stroke, and I imagine it will suck even more if it happens to my sweetie.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

... and if we just ... MRP's are...

great for that. Byklvr's done some of that for the local dirt jumper kids when their parents got tired of feeding their kids expensive drivetrain destruction habits. Looks like you used a LRP tensioner.(?)

-quoted from byklvr's "50 best tricks post"(email: [email protected])
    "..be sure to change to the standard rollers and degree the roller so it doesn't put excessive stress on the chain. If you're using a standard two roller design, depending on conditions and chianring type, sometimes it's better to for-go(sp) the outer plates they provide so you can get a cleaner tuck on the chain. It you need to space the rollers, either flip them around, or just find some smooth v-brake washers or disc brake caliper shim/washers.

Good luck guys!
    Byklvr "

So if you run into any troubles, just ask him.

Definitely use some more chain ring bolts, that looks scary.

mtbr member

?

if your wife doesn't apply a monster amount of power to the pedals all should be fine.

It shouldn't matter how much torque she applies as it's all along the top side of the chain. The bottom side of the chain is, for all practical purposes, tensionless.
    It's only weird because it's not normal.

PROJECT | ONE

mtbr member

nice trails!

First off, nothing wrong with flying solo nogearshere.

Took the bike out for a test ride. The MRP is silent and butter smooth. Started dropping the chain though, in rough areas, or high torque applications. Narrowed the problem down to...the YBB. Once I eliminated the suspension movement, the problem has apparently gone away. But, considering I'm using ramped cogs and a 9-speed chain, I'm sure I'm still flirting with disaster. It sucks to drop a chain mid power-stroke, and I imagine it will suck even more if it happens to my sweetie.
    Where are those pictures from ? Those trails look sweet!

PROJECT | ONE

Misfit Psycles
    if that were correct then why would a tensioner be required at all?
    no matter how good the chain and cog engage is, if there is slack in the lower section it will (eventually) lead to slipage on the front or rear ring.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    A tensioner gives you "chain wrap" not really tension. At some point, with lessening degrees of chain wrap, the chain will start to ride up on the teeth and slip. You need to wrap the chain around the cog to prevent slippage. The tooth profile, chain, and wear all contribute to how much wrap you will need.

Take a look at a fixie sometime. Apply some pressure just by hand to the pedal (going forward). Feel the tension, or lackthereof, on the bottom run of chain. It will be slightly loose. Now pedal backwards as if skidding or slowing and the top run of the chain will be loose.

PROJECT | ONE

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

dream vacation

Quote Originally Posted by mckeand13
    Where are those pictures from ? Those trails look sweet!
    In a testament to how great my wife is, for our 3 week vacation this year she insisted on an MTB Road Trip!! We rode almost everyday starting w/ XC nationals in Mammoth, followed by Utah, New Mexico, Colorado, Idaho, and Oregon. Pics above are (clockwise from upper left) Redfish Lake, ID, Rainbow Trail, CO, Gold Lake, CA, and Santa Fe, NM. The CA shot was from another trip, closer to home.

The lower pic is of the Monarch Crest trail in CO. A++.

mtbr member
    I used this a few years ago:

It worked well, made no noise. Often the roller would not turn as the polyurathane is slippery and the cartridge bearing seals were new, so the chain would just slide over the roller (there is very little pressure on the roller when you pedal forward). What I didnot like about it was how close the roller arm was to the tire, however I never had a problem in mud.

Because she like to ride, and sex is better after a ride.

Cheers,

Tom

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I tried this method 2 years ago on my Surly Instigator, unfortunately it didn't provide enough range of adjustment.

Members who have read this thread: 0