Check out this article from Velo news...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Check out this article from Velo news...

* * *This is a quote from someone from velo news...

While visiting the Fruita Fat Tire Festival on our way back to Denver, I picked up a copy of the Grand Junction newspaper, The Daily Sentinel. Surprisingly, it bore festival coverage on the front page. And in a story headlined, "Gunnison Streak Continues at Fat Tire Festival," Jason Groves provided an relatively candid report on the "subculture" of single-speed mountain bikers.

Until now, I've kept my mouth shut regarding my feelings about these characters, but I wanted to share a quote from one of the single-speeders that I feel best describes up the inexplicable (to me) phenomenon that has become single-speed racing.

Single-speeder Keith Benedetto sums up the prime mentality of this growing legion of male and female racers, categorized solely on their decision to run a single speed. "All of the single speeders are usually hanging out together, there is a lot of camaraderie there," Benedetto said. "The beauty of single speed is that you can't go wrong. If you're slow, you can say you're on a single speed."

And that's my point: "If you're slow, you can say you're on a single speed." There's nothing wrong with riding or racing on a single-speed (I've been beaten by many a one-geared rider). But designating a separate class for these racers is a huge cop-out. If you want to race a single-speed, do it in your regular class, against the rest of us geared folk. Technology is no reason to designate a separate category - to me, it's just a handy excuse for a poor performance. Age, sex, racing ability (even a rider's weight) are all valid reasons for designating a specific class. Leave the technical stipulations to the Sports Car Club of America. [/FONT]

"Mr. Britannica"
    Musta been written by an old, fat guy

mtbr member

and...

Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    and bald too

Bikes not Bombs.....

Sounds like he is......

Sounds like he is afraid to try SS'ing or can not come to grips with its' uniqueness. He may be one of those people who dropped major coinage on a gearie and has to justify his spending.

People who are miserible like to drag people down to their own level. IE.... I can't race well against others on a single speed, so they can't have their own division. But I can race well against others on gearie bikes and blend in well.......

Perhaps someday, people like him might want to try to drop their inhibitions and step closer to the dark side, maybe take a few steps into the shadow and see that the light shines bright in our world......

SS Jerry
    Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Jerry
    People who are miserible like to drag people down to their own level. IE.... I can't race well against others on a single speed, so they can't have their own division. But I can race well against others on gearie bikes and blend in well.......

SS Jerry
    Uhm, if he was afraid of racing with you wouldn't he want you to have your own class?

I tend to agree with him on the fact that singlespeeds don't really deserve their own class. We choose to make our bikes slower by not having gears.

BTW, here is a little hint. Singlespeeding doesn't make you unique. I have two singlespeeds and you know what? They are just bikes without gears. Riding them doesn't make me part of "the dark side" nor does it make me cooler than everyone else on the trail.

Cracker-magnon
    Note, that he also said:

Quote Originally Posted by corner_stuffed
    "All of the single speeders are usually hanging out together, there is a lot of camaraderie there," Benedetto said.
    so if they are going to hang together, and have that camaraderie, why not race each other? And if there are enough why not have a separate class? You can always compare your times to the gearies to see how you did.
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Actually Andrew Juskaitis has ridden and raced single speeds - althought it's probably been quite a while since. He is neither bald, fat or ugly. What he is is actually quite fit, very fast on a bike, has a fine crop of spiked bleached hair and neither right nor wrong about his opinion of race classes.

Personally, I find that my race times on courses that I have raced both geared and ss are faster on the ss bike. I think if ss racers are grouped with geared riders, the gearies would complain about having ss'ers in their class and would be the ones wanting a separate class for single speeders. The gearies like having separate classes. I don't care what class I race. Now if race promoters can do something about the age class for ss races. I'm gittin' too old to race against 25 year olds!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    a classic case of the old " if you have to ask you won't understand" phenomenon.

using the "excuse" line is a JOKE. as in, it is funny. that people seize on an insider spoof and use it to tie their panties in a knot is pretty funny, also. and, SS racing is a silly thing to do, which is one of the reasons i like it. mtn bike racing, or even riding is a silly thing to do as well. we could all be out working in foodshelters or curing cancer or helping kids with no dad's, etc. we are horsing around on bikes instead - where is the harm again?

in any case a SS clas makes exactly as muc sense as an old guy class, or a clyde class, or a sport class. for that matter even an expert class! none of us are lance armstrong or paulo bettini - we all suck and are just trying to goof off with others who suck close to the same as us. in that sense the fat old bald slow guy on the SS and the local hot rod expert have more in common than not - i do not see bjarne riis calling you to replace tyler hamilton so maybe you should be quiet and leave the guy who is at least honest enuf to ADMIT he is slow alone, eh? there is a demand and a niche and it is filled. where is the harm to hot shots again ???

as an old guy, i actually WOULD place better in my age division than i do in the singlespeed class, ironically. i would much rather ride around with fast SSers half my age and younger than my bike and get 12th, than race around with a bunch of washed up old uptight a-holes on their epic's and get second or third ( while riding the SS . . . . . ). put that in your pipe and smoke it, andrew - get a clue or go back to keeping your mouth shut, say i.
    Last edited by mon t; 05-14-2004 at 08:59 PM.

"The Dude abides."

the article continues...

"and im sick of mountain bikers hiding from roadies on the dirt, they should race in the same category as us skinny-tired folk, i will hear no more excuses about different equipment"

Steamroller

Old Clydesdale SSrs

Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    Now if race promoters can do something about the age class for ss races. I'm gittin' too old to race against 25 year olds!
    We need more SSrs to get more classes. I'm looking for that 40+ Clydesdale Singlespeed class. By the time I see it I'll probably need 50+

I'd rather ride with singlespeeders, the gearys are good people, but they slow when you're trying to carry momentum then if you manage to get around them, they try to pass you on the flats and mess you up again at the next climb.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    Actually Andrew Juskaitis has ridden and raced single speeds - althought it's probably been quite a while since. He is neither bald, fat or ugly. What he is is actually quite fit, very fast on a bike, has a fine crop of spiked bleached hair and neither right nor wrong about his opinion of race classes.

Personally, I find that my race times on courses that I have raced both geared and ss are faster on the ss bike. I think if ss racers are grouped with geared riders, the gearies would complain about having ss'ers in their class and would be the ones wanting a separate class for single speeders. The gearies like having separate classes. I don't care what class I race. Now if race promoters can do something about the age class for ss races. I'm gittin' too old to race against 25 year olds!
    I've had guys go to the race promoter and tell him that norba rules says you have to have gears to race. bunch of dorks did'nt want get beat by a ss.

Jackass
    Jan 2004

He's exactly right.

It's a race, guys. If the SS isn't the right tool to make you fastest on that
    course, you have two options - ride your geared bike (if you have one) or
    suck it up, race the best you can, and don't make a big deal about it.

There is NO reason to have a special class based on your bike's tech.
    How about an 8-speed class, a hardtail class, a bikes less than $500
    class, a cyclocross bike class yadda yadda.

It's a RACE. If you want to compete, pick the right tool for the job. If
    your not willing to do that, either DON'T RACE or DON'T WHINE.

Racing is about competetition, not hanging with your buds. Ya might
    not like that, but it's the truth. Hang with your buds on your own time.
    The type A racer-boys could give a sh*t less.

I race SS when it's the right bike for the job. When it's not, I race the
    FSR.

A couple hours ago I took second sport class in an XC race.... the guy
    who won was on an SS. Props to him. Because he beat me. Not
    because he beat me on an SS.

SS'ers are not special, and folks like me are getting tired of the hoopla
    and proselytizing by those who think it is.

It's just a bike.

Flame away,
    ZB (waiting patiently for his Teasdale SS)

Quote Originally Posted by corner_stuffed
    * * *This is a quote from someone from velo news...

While visiting the Fruita Fat Tire Festival on our way back to Denver, I picked up a copy of the Grand Junction newspaper, The Daily Sentinel. Surprisingly, it bore festival coverage on the front page. And in a story headlined, "Gunnison Streak Continues at Fat Tire Festival," Jason Groves provided an relatively candid report on the "subculture" of single-speed mountain bikers.

Until now, I've kept my mouth shut regarding my feelings about these characters, but I wanted to share a quote from one of the single-speeders that I feel best describes up the inexplicable (to me) phenomenon that has become single-speed racing.

Single-speeder Keith Benedetto sums up the prime mentality of this growing legion of male and female racers, categorized solely on their decision to run a single speed. "All of the single speeders are usually hanging out together, there is a lot of camaraderie there," Benedetto said. "The beauty of single speed is that you can't go wrong. If you're slow, you can say you're on a single speed."

And that's my point: "If you're slow, you can say you're on a single speed." There's nothing wrong with riding or racing on a single-speed (I've been beaten by many a one-geared rider). But designating a separate class for these racers is a huge cop-out. If you want to race a single-speed, do it in your regular class, against the rest of us geared folk. Technology is no reason to designate a separate category - to me, it's just a handy excuse for a poor performance. Age, sex, racing ability (even a rider's weight) are all valid reasons for designating a specific class. Leave the technical stipulations to the Sports Car Club of America. [/FONT]
    No hairSShirts.

Steamroller

We're not special?

Quote Originally Posted by brewSSard
    SS'ers are not special,
    It's just a bike.
    Blastphemy!
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Everyone can hold their own opinion, but frankly I like the single speed classes. I like hanging out with other single speeders and frankly the coolness among racers. I never felt the same kinda of family in my regular racing class. In every single speed class I have done this year there has been a really diverse group of riders. Staging is like a reunion and hugs and hand slaps are a plenty. Everyone is checking out each other's rides. In my opinion it has been the most fun of any class I have ever raced in. In our region teh singles start with and usually do the expert distances. We have a deep single community, which is really good, at some events the single speed classes have been the most competitive.I love the staging, I love the good will between riders. I don't ever remember racers sharing a beer staging before another race, it is almost common place in teh single speed class. It not that the racing isn't quality, or that everyone is so punk rock, but everyone is together, celebrating a life style, a way of riding. Far more so than in any other class I have ridden. I dig that. I am lucky to live in a really deep single speed area, and hope the promoters continue to have a dedicated single speed class. That being said, if they dropped it I would have no issue racing my single in my normal fat old man division.
    respect
    fatmarc

Jackass
    Jan 2004

I feel ya'....

And I have done a couple SS specific races, hypocrite that I am.

In a perfect world, folks would be able to be both competitive and
    cool about it rather that as uptight as they usually are at races. I
    don't see any real reason why an average "NORBA geek" can't flog
    the crap out of someone on the course, then pop a cold one with him
    afterwards. Alas, ours is not a perfect world.

I really like the camaraderie involved with SS'ing, but I guess my
    question is "Why is that?" Does SS make you cool, or are cool
    people drawn to SS? Can't you be cool and race a regular class?
    Can't you be friendly with the guy next to you while staging in a
    "regular" class? Are people with gears uncool uptight dorks? If
    they rode SS, would it make them laid-back righteous folks?

I guess what I'm saying is that if you choose to race, you are
    voluntarily putting yourself into a highly charged, adrenaline fueled
    competitive situation - by definition. Your going to THEIR turf. And
    I think you (we) should just deal with it.

I guess most SS'ers are too cool to care what others think about them,
    but I'd guess that most "NORBA geeks" think that having a special
    class for your special bike makes you a whiny dork. Or as SSJimbo
    would say "Sally".

Anywho.... I'm pretty drunk now, so take it for what it's worth. I'm
    not trying to drive a stake in the heart of SS racing, and I respect and
    understand your observations on the issue. I'm just throwing out mine
    to muddy the waters.

Peace,
    ZB
    No hairSShirts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    very nicely put.
    I think the comrade among single speeders comes from a couple of places. First, it is hard to become proficient on a single speed. As a single speeder each of us automatically has a level of respect for anyone that has chosen this path. Next, Frankly is the fact that we all appreciate each other's bikes. It's almost like a classic car show. The only people, who enjoy looking at old cars, well like looking at old cars. We know we all love the clean, sexy lines on a single, some of us like rigid forks, some the squishy ones, but again the bond is easy to build as everyone has a common appreciation of what we love about our singles. Finally, I find there is purity about a single speed bike. A simplicity that you don't find in a FS/geared machine. It's simple, It hurts, and it's fun. Folks that are drawn to the simple, painful and fun genre often march to the beat of a different drummer, and as such live similar lifestyles, ride, race have fun. It's not that I think other racers don't have some of the same belief structure, but I do believe that in the single speed class you have a larger group of folks who enjoy getting the same things out of the sport, and thus bonds are quickly built. I look forward to the next event not just as a race but as a gathering, I admit it I dig the social part of it. Anyway, I think we beat this one dead, so I'll have a magic hat and join you in a warm and fuzzy glow.

"Mr. Britannica"

cameraderie

...comes from the beers drunk between laps during SS races. What other class of riders is gonna do that? Of course, there are always some SSers that agree to drink before the race starts, then ride right past the beer tent.

Fat, but working on it...
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    I resemble that remark...

Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    and bald too
    That one too....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Blah blah blah WFC...

does his opinion stop you from riding your bike?

does his opinion keep you from racing?

does his opinion take away from your good time?

I'm guessing no to all three....have fun, make friends, and enjoy the ride.

The whole "us" "them" etc. is a bunch of crap IMO. We all enjoy riding two wheels end of story.

I rode my bike this weekend and had a really good time.

Roger

KMA
    T U R T L E S P E E D
    I think for the most of us, we agree that itís all about the ride and having fun. However, I need to point something out about this article that is very ironic since itís being written from someone who supposedly promotes/writes about racing and the bike industry. The comment ďTechnology is no reason to designate a separate category, to me, itís just a handy excuse for poor performanceĒ. So does this mean that the advent of new technology in the 70ís and 80ís called Mountain Bikes should never have received their own race category? So these new Mountain Bikes should be racing with the roadies? I donít think this guy would even have a job writing for Velo News if it were not for new race categories. I applaud the race promoters and organizations that are open minded to new race categories. Some didnít take off like the combined XC race and Observed Trials points format, whereas other categories are a big hit like Mountain Cross. Innovation is good. Listening to what the racers want is good.

Jackass
    Jan 2004

SS - innovative ?

You are welcome to create and promote new forms of racing, and I agree that
    innovation is good. But here's the thing - mtb's DIDN'T get their own class.
    You can't go down to the local crit and race the MTB class. MTB got their
    own type of racing - innovation at it's finest.

I don't understand how adding an SS class can be seen as promoting innovation.
    You are completing the exact same task with equipment that hasn't been cutting
    edge in a pretty darned long time. What is it about riding a standard XC course
    on intentionally low-tech equipment that is innovative?

I'll drop this topic when one of the defenders of SS class can explain to me why
    there shouldn't be a "< $300" class or a "pot-head" class, or maybe a
    "homosexual" class. If we're going to divide up races based on tech, we should
    have a < $300 class. If we're going to divide up races based on lifestyles,
    we should have the other two as well. Or maybe everyone should have their
    own class and we can all be winners and get little gold stars and sing Kumbaya.

It's just a stupid race. Run what you brung, and if you don't like it, don't race.

Finally - a question about the camaraderie thing..... If there were no SS class,
    would you guys still race? If yes, then why can't you hug and high-five and drink
    beer with your buddies while lined up in Expert class, or Sport, or whatever? If
    you wouldn't still race, then why exactly do you want to race in the first place?
    Stage a camping trip and ride with your buds and save the entry fee. You can
    drink beer and high-five around the campfire - staging areas at XC races aren't
    the only place where that sort of thing is allowed.

OK - time to leave work.

ZB
    No hairSShirts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job!

You are welcome to create and promote new forms of racing, and I agree that
    innovation is good. But here's the thing - mtb's DIDN'T get their own class.
    You can't go down to the local crit and race the MTB class. MTB got their
    own type of racing - innovation at it's finest.

I don't understand how adding an SS class can be seen as promoting innovation.
    You are completing the exact same task with equipment that hasn't been cutting
    edge in a pretty darned long time. What is it about riding a standard XC course
    on intentionally low-tech equipment that is innovative?

I'll drop this topic when one of the defenders of SS class can explain to me why
    there shouldn't be a "< $300" class or a "pot-head" class, or maybe a
    "homosexual" class. If we're going to divide up races based on tech, we should
    have a < $300 class. If we're going to divide up races based on lifestyles,
    we should have the other two as well. Or maybe everyone should have their
    own class and we can all be winners and get little gold stars and sing Kumbaya.

It's just a stupid race. Run what you brung, and if you don't like it, don't race.

Finally - a question about the camaraderie thing..... If there were no SS class,
    would you guys still race? If yes, then why can't you hug and high-five and drink
    beer with your buddies while lined up in Expert class, or Sport, or whatever? If
    you wouldn't still race, then why exactly do you want to race in the first place?
    Stage a camping trip and ride with your buds and save the entry fee. You can
    drink beer and high-five around the campfire - staging areas at XC races aren't
    the only place where that sort of thing is allowed.

OK - time to leave work.

ZB
    Well said! Discussion is over.

KMA
    T U R T L E S P E E D
    Whether we agree or disagree on categories, classes, formats, and technology. Ultimately, DEMAND is the driving force. A race organizer will only continue to promote something where people show up/participate and sponsorship dollars continue to be available.

Peace

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    now that was an actually insightful comment. if our anti-SS class friend hasn't noticed, xc mtn bike racing is not exactly in its glory days. the SS class is hot, and promoters are being asked for them by enthusiasts. whether other riders know why this is, or think it is dumb, or whathaveyou is irrelevant to this.

if a movement of guys riding sub 100 dollar mtn bikes came onto the scene and flourished and carved out an identity and whatnot and wanted a ' junker class" or something you can bet savvy promoters would meet that demand as well.

where, exactly is the harm again?

what's more - talk to promoters and you will find they LIKE the SSers as a rule. they tend to be far less demanding, less critical, lower maintenence racers for the promoter. hardly the "whiners" the other says, they are the hardiest and least likely to cause a fuss identifiable group at the races, by and large.

and, i do not know about ya'll but 'round here the SS class tends to populated by experienced, above average riders. many, if not most of the guys i know in the class would without a doubt place better racing on their geared bikes back in traditioanl divisions.

speaking of which, the SS division makes as much sense as any other - be it age group , weight, or self seeded or mandatory "ability based". they are all simply hobbyist relatedways to make a wide range of diverse enthusiasts have like experiencines within a participatory competitive framework. ironically, i wonder if our " racing is all about hell" balls to the wall poster would enjoy it if he had to line up against ryder hesdahl and philpe meirhage (sp?) whenever he went out for the podunkville mtn bike classic? i mean, why is he hiding in the expert class, anyway ?? either you are the best or you are not !! race and die !!!!! banzai !!!!!!!

all divisions are arbitrary.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Kart Motzart
    Uhm, if he was afraid of racing with you wouldn't he want you to have your own class?

I tend to agree with him on the fact that singlespeeds don't really deserve their own class. We choose to make our bikes slower by not having gears.

BTW, here is a little hint. Singlespeeding doesn't make you unique. I have two singlespeeds and you know what? They are just bikes without gears. Riding them doesn't make me part of "the dark side" nor does it make me cooler than everyone else on the trail.
    Perhaps the problem is that you feel a single speed is slower...personally I know having gears will do nothing to help my placing while racing. Single Speeds deserve their own category if for no other reason than the fact that they (we) are a group promoters that have a voice (entrance fees) in their (promoters) success. Example? 12 Hrs of Lodi Farm, more single Speed teams than Expert...and one expert team was all one Single Speeds. With out the Single Speed calls they would have missed out on at least 25 riders X $30... In a race put on to help pay taxes on a farm that allows mountain biking in Urban Fredericksburg, VA that money can do quite a bit. What makes us unique is the fact that we are less of the norm, mind you mountain biking is a splinter sport to begin with and in that tiny pond we are just a three eyed tadpole....where am I going with this????

gentle like
    I'd be fine to race without a SS-specific category, as opposed to the open SS category I enter. I ride a SS, so I enter SS. The people the friendly. I'm sure racing my age/ability cat would be fine too.

In fact, I would bet that the 25-29 Sport Class would not only consist of 4 semi-pros, 3 experts, 2 dudes who have won Sport Races, and my Clyde self ... which was the last "Open SS" cat race I was in.

I can guarantee that in Sport I wouldn't finish last in my category, or 30 minutes behind my category's leader ... which is what happened last time.

Ride bikes 'cause it's fun. Race 'cause it's a challenge, and fun. Who the hells cares about categories, fine. Yeah, I can see there's a difference between equipment and age and ability groups, but so what? I don't see the problem ...

Fat Boy Deluxe
    I'm not all up on my rules and whatnot, but a lot of the races I have been to have a little provision about race categories - something like you only need 4 teams to make a category.

I think singlespeed would qualify, but it would be great to see an old, fat, bald guy category...

DT

KgB
    SNGLSPD

we had pro riders drinking tequilla at the start

Where else but Fruita are you going to see that.Nothing like a shot of Tequilla before racing in the desert.
    It's always a bizarre mismatched class of folks racing singlespeed.
    there are no sandbaggers racing singlespeed,it's always going to be more fun than the average race and when I came in near last place I already had a built in excuse.
    It makes perfect sense.
    I've been inside too long.

Jackass
    Jan 2004

My bike is not an excuse.

I'm sorry if yours is.

I think when I go out this weekend, I'll leave some boogers hanging out of my nose.
    That way, if I don't hook up, I already have a built in excuse. It'll be cool though,
    because everyone will know how relaxed I am 'cuz I don't care that I have a bogie
    danglin'. We'll all be like "Bro.... Nice boog ! (high-five)"

Built in excuse.... jeez. Do you ride a singlespeed or a freekin' crutch?

Yeah, I'm trolling now.... and being more than a little bit of a jerk, I know.

"This ZB guy.... what a d*ck. He just doesn't get it."

ZB
    No hairSShirts.

Retro Grouch

What's wrong with this picture?

I'm sorry if yours is.

I think when I go out this weekend, I'll leave some boogers hanging out of my nose.
    That way, if I don't hook up, I already have a built in excuse. It'll be cool though,
    because everyone will know how relaxed I am 'cuz I don't care that I have a bogie
    danglin'. We'll all be like "Bro.... Nice boog ! (high-five)"

Built in excuse.... jeez. Do you ride a singlespeed or a freekin' crutch?

Yeah, I'm trolling now.... and being more than a little bit of a jerk, I know.

"This ZB guy.... what a d*ck. He just doesn't get it."

ZB
    Perhaps I'm missing something here, but I have never heard any SS rider use his lack of gears as an excuse for being slow. On the contrary, I orginally switched to SS because I was tired of being passed by singlespeeders climbing at Nisene Marks and only later realized what a hoot is was. I have since raced against geared bikes and medaled. Sure I have to pre-ride the course and pick my gearing accordingly but what else is new. Now that I am approaching the dreaded 50 and grand masters, I've been checking the Sport times at the sea Otter and find they are not that far off of the Beg/Sport SS times. I also talked with some of the SS riders who raced against the gearies at the Sea Otter and they said the styles conflict a bit, which resulted in a lot of back and forth passing. This said, I figure if there is a SS class I just ride with the them.

Most SS are experienced riders who got tired of the same old thing. Sparty said it the best I think when he remarked, "single speed makes bike riding more personal again". It's certainly not about excuses or egos. It's more about leaving that all behind and and keeping riding a hoot. Classes and age groups in racing are all about inclusion and giving more riders a chance to win medals. I don't see anything wrong with that. I certainly ride a lot more for fun than I race; and If I get a medal because I'm a sport rider between 50 and 54; wahoo!! If not, it was still a good day for a ride and racing makes the ride a little more exciting.

The true beauty of mountain biking is it's all about fun and appreciating what god has given us. Nobody ever planned a mountain bike ride because he needed to get to a board meeting at the end of the trail.

1G1G, Brad

Jackass
    Jan 2004

Look up.

Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    Perhaps I'm missing something here, but I have never heard any SS rider use his lack of gears as an excuse for being slow.
    KgB just did.... two posts up. I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that KgB is
    Keith Benedetto. If so, he's also the dude quoted in the original post for this thread -
    "If you're slow, you can say you're on a singlespeed."

Now KgB may be able to ride me into the ground... but that attitude is, in my opinion,
    really freekin' weak. And I don't want people with that attitude representing me. If I'm
    slow, I don't make my bike into an excuse. I say "I'm slow".

SS'ers ARE a unique group with a strong sense of tribalism and shared values. I
    embrace that idea, and enjoy being a part of that community. I don't want to see that
    community sullied by excuse making and a groundless sense of entitlement. We
    share an AESTHETIC, not a handicap.

That's what got me stirred up to begin with.

Anyhow, I'm done now. I've vented. I'll go back to lurker mode.

I shall agree to disagree, and clap when the SS class goes by.

Peace,
    ZB
    No hairSShirts.

Retro Grouch

New question here. You mean this..

KgB just did.... two posts up. I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that KgB is
    Keith Benedetto. If so, he's also the dude quoted in the original post for this thread -
    "If you're slow, you can say you're on a singlespeed."

Now KgB may be able to ride me into the ground... but that attitude is, in my opinion,
    really freekin' weak. And I don't want people with that attitude representing me. If I'm
    slow, I don't make my bike into an excuse. I say "I'm slow".

SS'ers ARE a unique group with a strong sense of tribalism and shared values. I
    embrace that idea, and enjoy being a part of that community. I don't want to see that
    community sullied by excuse making and a groundless sense of entitlement. We
    share an AESTHETIC, not a handicap.

That's what got me stirred up to begin with.

Anyhow, I'm done now. I've vented. I'll go back to lurker mode.

I shall agree to disagree, and clap when the SS class goes by.

Peace,
    ZB
    "Where else but Fruita are you going to see that.Nothing like a shot of Tequilla before racing in the desert.
    It's always a bizarre mismatched class of folks racing singlespeed.
    there are no sandbaggers racing singlespeed,it's always going to be more fun than the average race and when I came in near last place I already had a built in excuse.
    It makes perfect sense."

I figured he was talking about the Tequilla. I don't see how one could use the lack of gears as an excuse if you are racing other singles speeds. I guess anyone can use anything as a excuse, but I still don't understand it.

Peace back at you, 1G1G, Brad

KgB
    SNGLSPD

it's just a bike

get over yourself.

You sound like you have a SS chip on your shoulder.lighten up.
    I've been inside too long.

"Mr. Britannica"

singlespeeders write back

FROM THE VELONEWS MAILBAG, 5/19/04
    (http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/6106.0.html)

Single-speeding offers a challenge
    Editor:
    I am writing in response to Andrew Juskaitis's single-speed article. I race a single speed in the Wisconsin WORS series . Personally speaking, if I had to race my age group (40 plus) rather than in a separate category I would consistently be in the top five riders. It gives me more satisfaction finishing in the top 10 of the single-speed category knowing that I am beating riders that in some cases are 15-20 years younger than me. And besides it is one of the hardest things I have ever done.

Eric Nelson
    Waukesha, Wisconsin

Not nearly as hard as hefting the bag full of mail we got after Andrew's column was posted, Eric. Read on . . . - Editor

Technology dictates separate category for single-speeders
    Editor:
    Regarding Andrew Juskaitis' somewhat dim-witted tech column and his comments about the single-speed category: I'm not sure why Juskaitis felt like it was necessary to use his "tech" column to bag on single-speeders. First of all, his logic in saying that Keith Benedetto's comment, as quoted in Grand Junction's The Daily Sentinel "sums up the prime mentality of this growing legion of male and female racers" is an obvious fallacy. His comments only represent his own view - duh!

Now, as far as Juskaitis's belief that age, sex or dicky-do size are somehow more legitimate ways to create a "race class" than the type of bike one is riding makes no sense. I would love to hear his justifications and proofs of that statement. What exactly is a "sport" rider anyway? Single-speeders are just a bunch of guys and gals who like to ride - fast or slow. What does one's age, weight or arbitrary perception of their ability really have to do with determining race classes? Is a 29-year-old any different than a 30-year-old?

In my opinion, the best thing about the single-speed class is that there are no excuses and no arbitrary class separations. Everyone races together. The simplicity of the bike does change things. On climbs or twisting single-track, a single-speed is an advantage because of its inherent efficiency. Yet on a long, gradually descending road, the single-speed is at a disadvantage compared to a bike with multiple gears. For these reasons it can make sense to separate the single-speed riders from the others.

The single-speed race at Fruita got a lot of attention from the local paper because it was one of the largest (about 25 racers) and most hotly contested classes (ending with a three-person sprint). In contrast, the pro men's race had four competitors who rode in minutes apart. Not too exciting, eh?

So, Andrew, maybe you should get out of the "sport, she-men's, tech-weenie, 30.5 to 36.4, Caucasian, sorta fat and out of shape, not too tall, not too short, goateed, left ear pierced" class and race in the true-grit single-speed class. I'll bet you have trouble stomaching the tequila shot at the start and finish last.

Brian Riepe
    Gunnison, Colorado