Cheapest way to convert?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cheapest way to convert?

Today the pedals pulled all the threads out of my cranks on my 2005 hardrock. The bottom bracket is worn out and the shifters are junk. The cassette has seen better days.

I want to make the hardrock a singlespeed bike.

All that I think that I need is a BMX crankset/ chain tensioner/ 1 rear cog+spacers/ and some spoke cards.

What is the cheapest way to do this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benchcomptons
    Today the pedals pulled all the threads out of my cranks on my 2005 hardrock. The bottom bracket is worn out and the shifters are junk. The cassette has seen better days.

All that I think that I need is a BMX crankset/ chain tensioner/ 1 rear cog+spacers/ and some spoke cards.

Buy a used P.1.
    Seriously, for what you'll spend in parts you can probably find a nice used SS that is a much better bike.
    Bikes=Sanity

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

don't forget the jeans...

if you're going the way of a single speed with spoke cards, why not go all the way and make it a fixie with spoke cards? that way, you won't feel like a loser when the track bike dorks and messengers pass your ass on the streets when they hear the click-click-click of your hub while you easily coast down hills.

but whatever you do, don't forget the jeans: http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2007...nt-tastic.html

and, while you're at it, make sure you get a chrome-brand messenger bag, even if you don't put anything in it.

lastly, i presume that you've already chopped at least 4 inches off your handlebars -- but be careful, if you can't still fit on your ourys, was it all worth it?

local trails rider
    You don't need a BMX crankset. You just need a crankset that only has one chainring and fits your bike. Shimano LX will do nicely.
    Pick a conversion kit by Surly, DMR, misphit, ...
    Old credit cards should last a while in the spokes.

ballbuster

Nah, worth converting!

Set of SS/BMX chainring bolts to take all your extra chainrings off. Use regular double ring bolts if you put a bash guard in there to use as a chain guide.

Old road rear derailleur - fixed in place with a short piece of shifter cable. thread the ball end into the barrell adjuster and clamp in place in perfect chainline with your rear cog.

Shorten your chain with a SRAM Powerlink. Run the chain as tightly as you can stand through the derailleur. THe shorter the better so it doesn't jump off so easily.

Take 3 old cheap cassettes apart. You can probably get the local wrench at the LBS to fish them out of the trash for you. Find an appropriate sized cog, and put it aside. Take the plastic or metal spacers between the cogs to take up the extra space on your freehub. Lock it down with the lockring. DO NOT do this with an alu freehub body.

Find a scrap of PVC pipe, like 3/4" diameter or so. Drill a couple holes across it and zip tie it to your seat tube to keep the chain from jumping off to the inside. Get the PVC pipe as close as you can to the chain, but also make it so if it catches the chain, it won't jam up. Lots of tweaking and experimenting to get this to work. You can also spend money on a Third Eye Chain Watcher and do the same thing (but neater and probably better).

Viola! Ghetto singlespeed! I ran a rig like this for a couple years. The chain would occasionally jump off, but it worked.

Total outlay... probably $20 tops.

mtbr member
    Sounds good. First thing to do is get some new cranks or re-tap the old ones... Then I'll start with this.

poser Administrator
    i bet you could throw a helicoil in the crank arms. take 'em to a hardware store and see if they will put on in. Bring the pedal so they know the thread pitch. That could save you a lotta work.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Is dang happy!
    BMX cranks are not usually cheap or lite. This looks ok for the price, BB and bashguard included (thanks antonio from the deals forum), I like hollowtech shimano for the $/weight but thin ramped rings are not great for SS.

A good tensioner will make setup easy and although I build my own from $10 MRP rollers and chunk of aluminum, you can get the DMR or clone for under $30.

Pricepoint has a cog/spacer kit onsale for $10 with a 16 and 18 tooth cog now.

I am a big fan of MRP style tensioners because they do not goop up with mud or grease and are quiet.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

Members who have read this thread: 0