Cheaper Ti? $3 and not $40/lb- Mtbr.com
    trail rat

Good job! Cheaper Ti? $3 and not $40/lb

Imagine what this will do for our frame / parts fetish is this becomes reality!

http://www.techreview.com/printer_fr....aspx?id=16963
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

indigosky
    Cool article, thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2004

inexpensive Ti may be in our future?

Cool! if it pans out... cheap, light, strong could become a reality.

mtbr member

Ti vs. Tubing

There is a great overview of the process used to create titanium tubing on the Seven site: http://www.sevencycles.com/building/TechSuppTi.html. Suffice it to say, while bar stock producers and tubing manufacturers may have a lot to gain from a drop in the price to produce titanium bar stock, I doubt that frame buyers will see much change.

On the other hand, if this process can significantly boost availability, market forces could push prices down. I think the biggest factor at the moment is not the price of production (though that is still large factor compared to steel and aluminum), but scarcity created by bigger industrial fish and certain ongoing wars.

I ride a Swarf
    Am I missing something....but how many lbs are in a frame....about 3.5?

So about 140 dollars worth of material. If that is the case then the built price is mostly labour and markup.

The difference in materials will be 129.5 dollars using these numbers.

My point is cheap materials doesn't necassarily transate to a frame thats a lot cheaper.

Unless I've missed summet....I am tired.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart B
    Am I missing something....but how many lbs are in a frame....about 3.5?

So about 140 dollars worth of material. If that is the case then the built price is mostly labour and markup.

The difference in materials will be 129.5 dollars using these numbers.

My point is cheap materials doesn't necassarily transate to a frame thats a lot cheaper.

Unless I've missed summet....I am tired.

Stu
    Stu, great article but yes, I think you have it. The material is one thing. Then you need the equipment and the artist to create the frame. Also, phone calls occur, meeting face to face time, ordering other manufaturer's parts to create the costomer's complete bike, insurance for the builder...Adding up fast over here!
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

mtbr member
    Exactly. Getting the material is 1/10th of the battle, if not less. Working it into tubes, then shaping and welding the tubes into a frame is where the real cost is, and none of that is changed by the price of producing bar stock.

Components that are machined out of solid Ti (dropouts, "braze ons", cogs, etc.) could see a more significant impact, though I expect that the market will continue to bear high prices.

trail rat
    Yuppers. Material cost is a small part of frame costs, but I have noticed that some Ti components have increased in the last year. As stated in the article, cheaper material costs for the airline industry is what they are targetting.

Just trying to fuel some fantasies about owing the SS dream at a lower price.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

Members who have read this thread: 0