Cheaper cogs for fixed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cheaper cogs for fixed?

Anyone know of a source for cheaper cogs for those of us not looking to win the tour? I saw one for like $6 on ebay a few weeks ago then forgot to bid. All I see now are these $20-$30 and up cogs. There has to be a way to get these things cheaper. It is just for my commuter and won't see many miles at all.
    "Kurt is up in heaven now."

RIP Vonnegut

34N 118W

details

is this for a road bike? mtb? thread-on fixie?

Quote Originally Posted by 24601
    Anyone know of a source for cheaper cogs for those of us not looking to win the tour? I saw one for like $6 on ebay a few weeks ago then forgot to bid. All I see now are these $20-$30 and up cogs. There has to be a way to get these things cheaper. It is just for my commuter and won't see many miles at all.

mtbr member
    On my commuter mtb. I already went SS a while back, now wanting to go fixed. Guess you missed my other pathetic cries for help. As a reference, perhaps look at this:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=78704

I have links there for the hub and hoop I am planning on getting.

BTW--looking at probably a 14tooth. I have 36-16 right now and can't really get any speed.

RIP Vonnegut

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Your call, but I've seen a few of the cheaper cogs strip and ruin the threads on the hub, rendering it (or at least that side) useless. The $20-30 spent on the cog may save your hub.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    OK, but how hard were they riding? Not trying to be a jerk, just wondering as I am just having an easy commute. If I were building this for training or something I wouldn't hesitate, but this was supposed to be a super cheap build and has been anything but.

RIP Vonnegut

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Fixie can be very hard on the threads no matter how hard you are riding. If you really want super cheap go with a freewheel.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

34N 118W

AEbike

list price on a Shimano Dura-Ace track cog is $16.99. Maybe your shop will give you a better deal on it, or have something used lying around. For my first fixie conversion I found a 17t cog at the LBS that they sold me cheap. Since then I have stepped up to Dura-Ace and Surly.

maybe call a few shops? I'd ask for any size, and work around it.

http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=FW6881

good luck
    HW

On my commuter mtb. I already went SS a while back, now wanting to go fixed. Guess you missed my other pathetic cries for help. As a reference, perhaps look at this:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=78704

I have links there for the hub and hoop I am planning on getting.

BTW--looking at probably a 14tooth. I have 36-16 right now and can't really get any speed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Your call, but I've seen a few of the cheaper cogs strip and ruin the threads on the hub, rendering it (or at least that side) useless. The $20-30 spent on the cog may save your hub.
    Couldn't agree more. I'm one of the cheapest mofos you'll meet, but I won't mess with crappy cogs any more. $25 seems like a lot of dough for a gently-used commuter, but an EAI cog (to plug my favorite flavor) will probably last long enough to pass onto your grandchildren.

mtbr member
    My LBS has nothing fixed around and knows nothing really about it. They can do it, have done a few, but you really have to just tell them what you want. They have nothing against it, just isn't there thing and they aren't really interested in making it one. That is pretty much the story around here.

RIP Vonnegut

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    OK, but how hard were they riding? Not trying to be a jerk, just wondering as I am just having an easy commute. If I were building this for training or something I wouldn't hesitate, but this was supposed to be a super cheap build and has been anything but.
    Cheaper cogs are thinner, and their narrow base puts a high load on the threads, expensive hub or not. Of my friends, two were off-roading with high-end "real" fixie hubs. The cogs were Dura Ace and the older Surly. Two others were riding on the road when the stripping occurred.

I'd recommend the Euro Asia, but I'd really like to see the new Phil Wood and ENO ones which look very promising. However, they're probably not cheap I've read Surly has improved by widening their base, but I'm not sure if they're out yet.

Do a search on bikeforums.net's fixie board for "cogs, stripped, threads". The same themes keep popping up: cheap, Sovos/Suzue, and pie. A lot of those guys are messengers and ride fixie all day long so they might provide more insight.

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Do a search on bikeforums.net's fixie board for "cogs, stripped, threads". The same themes keep popping up: cheap, Sovos/Suzue, and pie. A lot of those guys are messengers and ride fixie all day long so they might provide more insight.
    Actually, there are hardly any messengers on that board. More posengers than messengers...
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    OK, OK, so I guess I will order one of the good ones. Before I drop the funds, getting the 14 sound like a good idea, so 36-14 on 26" slicks? Trying to avoid changing the chainring for now, and don't want to go too high because I can have a lot of stop and go.

RIP Vonnegut

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    Actually, there are hardly any messengers on that board. More posengers than messengers...
    Ha! They sure look good...

And He was Not
    That's kinda funny, the Durace ones are the lest expensive $17. Be glad a 16 works for you. the others are as high as Chris King Cogs

mtbr member
    The Surly cog that I got for my fixie has a wide base, I don't know how wide the old ones were but mine took up all the space on the hub so I didn't need any spacers to make it snug up to the lockring. This is on a van Dessel hub.

mtbr member

Miche

The shop where I was fixed is also a messenger service and they sold me a Miche splined carrier and cog. You can change cogs by just taking the lockring off. I have a road fixie and now a mountain fixie. I can swap the cogs back and forth in minutes. A little more expensive to get started but cheaper replacements. I paid in Canadian dollars at my LBS which has no relationship to the US price at all so I can't comment on how much it would cost you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

King Pin

Good job!

I'm currently running Surly/DA and EAI fixie cogs on three bikes, and really see no difference in the width of the threadaged portion.

EAI's are the purtiest hardcore flat black though.

And He was Not

Soma

Are the Soma cogs O.K. Anybody have any feedback on them?