Cheaper cogs for fixed?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 24601's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,128

    Cheaper cogs for fixed?

    Anyone know of a source for cheaper cogs for those of us not looking to win the tour? I saw one for like $6 on ebay a few weeks ago then forgot to bid. All I see now are these $20-$30 and up cogs. There has to be a way to get these things cheaper. It is just for my commuter and won't see many miles at all.
    "Kurt is up in heaven now."

    RIP Vonnegut

  2. #2
    34N 118W
    Reputation: Hollywood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,246

    details

    is this for a road bike? mtb? thread-on fixie?

    Quote Originally Posted by 24601
    Anyone know of a source for cheaper cogs for those of us not looking to win the tour? I saw one for like $6 on ebay a few weeks ago then forgot to bid. All I see now are these $20-$30 and up cogs. There has to be a way to get these things cheaper. It is just for my commuter and won't see many miles at all.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 24601's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,128
    On my commuter mtb. I already went SS a while back, now wanting to go fixed. Guess you missed my other pathetic cries for help. As a reference, perhaps look at this:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=78704

    I have links there for the hub and hoop I am planning on getting.

    BTW--looking at probably a 14tooth. I have 36-16 right now and can't really get any speed.
    "Kurt is up in heaven now."

    RIP Vonnegut

  4. #4
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Reputation: Drevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,906
    Quote Originally Posted by 24601
    Anyone know of a source for cheaper cogs for those of us not looking to win the tour? I saw one for like $6 on ebay a few weeks ago then forgot to bid. All I see now are these $20-$30 and up cogs. There has to be a way to get these things cheaper. It is just for my commuter and won't see many miles at all.
    Your call, but I've seen a few of the cheaper cogs strip and ruin the threads on the hub, rendering it (or at least that side) useless. The $20-30 spent on the cog may save your hub.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 24601's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,128
    OK, but how hard were they riding? Not trying to be a jerk, just wondering as I am just having an easy commute. If I were building this for training or something I wouldn't hesitate, but this was supposed to be a super cheap build and has been anything but.
    "Kurt is up in heaven now."

    RIP Vonnegut

  6. #6
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Fixie can be very hard on the threads no matter how hard you are riding. If you really want super cheap go with a freewheel.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  7. #7
    34N 118W
    Reputation: Hollywood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,246

    AEbike

    list price on a Shimano Dura-Ace track cog is $16.99. Maybe your shop will give you a better deal on it, or have something used lying around. For my first fixie conversion I found a 17t cog at the LBS that they sold me cheap. Since then I have stepped up to Dura-Ace and Surly.

    maybe call a few shops? I'd ask for any size, and work around it.

    http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=FW6881

    good luck
    HW


    Quote Originally Posted by 24601
    On my commuter mtb. I already went SS a while back, now wanting to go fixed. Guess you missed my other pathetic cries for help. As a reference, perhaps look at this:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=78704

    I have links there for the hub and hoop I am planning on getting.

    BTW--looking at probably a 14tooth. I have 36-16 right now and can't really get any speed.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    29

    Yup

    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Your call, but I've seen a few of the cheaper cogs strip and ruin the threads on the hub, rendering it (or at least that side) useless. The $20-30 spent on the cog may save your hub.
    Couldn't agree more. I'm one of the cheapest mofos you'll meet, but I won't mess with crappy cogs any more. $25 seems like a lot of dough for a gently-used commuter, but an EAI cog (to plug my favorite flavor) will probably last long enough to pass onto your grandchildren.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 24601's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,128
    My LBS has nothing fixed around and knows nothing really about it. They can do it, have done a few, but you really have to just tell them what you want. They have nothing against it, just isn't there thing and they aren't really interested in making it one. That is pretty much the story around here.
    "Kurt is up in heaven now."

    RIP Vonnegut

  10. #10
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Reputation: Drevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,906
    Quote Originally Posted by 24601
    OK, but how hard were they riding? Not trying to be a jerk, just wondering as I am just having an easy commute. If I were building this for training or something I wouldn't hesitate, but this was supposed to be a super cheap build and has been anything but.
    Cheaper cogs are thinner, and their narrow base puts a high load on the threads, expensive hub or not. Of my friends, two were off-roading with high-end "real" fixie hubs. The cogs were Dura Ace and the older Surly. Two others were riding on the road when the stripping occurred.

    I'd recommend the Euro Asia, but I'd really like to see the new Phil Wood and ENO ones which look very promising. However, they're probably not cheap I've read Surly has improved by widening their base, but I'm not sure if they're out yet.

    Do a search on bikeforums.net's fixie board for "cogs, stripped, threads". The same themes keep popping up: cheap, Sovos/Suzue, and pie. A lot of those guys are messengers and ride fixie all day long so they might provide more insight.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

  11. #11
    I am the owl
    Reputation: riderx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,905
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Do a search on bikeforums.net's fixie board for "cogs, stripped, threads". The same themes keep popping up: cheap, Sovos/Suzue, and pie. A lot of those guys are messengers and ride fixie all day long so they might provide more insight.
    Actually, there are hardly any messengers on that board. More posengers than messengers...
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 24601's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,128
    OK, OK, so I guess I will order one of the good ones. Before I drop the funds, getting the 14 sound like a good idea, so 36-14 on 26" slicks? Trying to avoid changing the chainring for now, and don't want to go too high because I can have a lot of stop and go.
    "Kurt is up in heaven now."

    RIP Vonnegut

  13. #13
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Reputation: Drevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,906
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    Actually, there are hardly any messengers on that board. More posengers than messengers...
    Ha! They sure look good...
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

  14. #14
    And He was Not
    Reputation: Enoch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,655
    That's kinda funny, the Durace ones are the lest expensive $17. Be glad a 16 works for you. the others are as high as Chris King Cogs

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,163
    The Surly cog that I got for my fixie has a wide base, I don't know how wide the old ones were but mine took up all the space on the hub so I didn't need any spacers to make it snug up to the lockring. This is on a van Dessel hub.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Legbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,556

    Miche

    The shop where I was fixed is also a messenger service and they sold me a Miche splined carrier and cog. You can change cogs by just taking the lockring off. I have a road fixie and now a mountain fixie. I can swap the cogs back and forth in minutes. A little more expensive to get started but cheaper replacements. I paid in Canadian dollars at my LBS which has no relationship to the US price at all so I can't comment on how much it would cost you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Formerly Travis Bickle

    Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

  17. #17
    King Pin
    Reputation: xrmattaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,247

    Good job!

    I'm currently running Surly/DA and EAI fixie cogs on three bikes, and really see no difference in the width of the threadaged portion.

    EAI's are the purtiest hardcore flat black though.

  18. #18
    And He was Not
    Reputation: Enoch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,655

    Soma

    Are the Soma cogs O.K. Anybody have any feedback on them?

Similar Threads

  1. Replacing small cogs on M750?
    By Traktor in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 08:26 AM
  2. Are cheaper 9-speed cassettes more durable?
    By FM in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2004, 02:01 PM
  3. can shift down to smaller cogs, but hard to shift to larger cogs
    By eman in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-19-2004, 09:28 AM
  4. Okay, I still have 17T cogs..
    By aka brad in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-25-2004, 09:05 PM
  5. my cogs are wobblen, any help
    By maynard in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 06:36 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.