Cheap Start- Mtbr.com

Thread: Cheap Start

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Cheap Start

OK, this SS thing has me intrigued. If I like it, I could see a Milk Money in the garage in a year or so, but first.......

How about some ideas for the best, relatively budget, complete, fully rigid SS? I know if I build it myself, I'll go overboard.

Signed,

Mr. 27-Speed
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Redline Monocog is probably the best place to start for a budget rigid SS bike... available in 29er or 26er form. If you want something a bit nicer, disc brakes, etc, the Monocog Flight 29 is a really good choice too

mtbr member
    I just started ss this summer. My first and only ss has been a Karate Monkey. It was a fair price and I LOVE it. That's my vote. Of course it is the only ss I know.

holding back the darkness
    Convert what you got.
    You can use, in order of slick-ness:
    White Industries Eno Hub
    Eccentric Bottom Bracket like this one: http://forwardcomponents.blogspot.co...et-patent.html
    Chain tensioner like a Surly Singleator or Renin Rollenlager
    Old Deraileur with the lower cage cut off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Redline Monocog is probably the best place to start for a budget rigid SS bike...

X2 Monocog

Ovaries on the Outside
    x3 monocog. Worst case, slicks, gearing change and fenders and you have a mean commuter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks for all the input. The Flight looks like a great place to start. Don't want rim brakes, or the Monocog would be fine, too.

What's the approximate street price for a Flight?

Thanks again.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    Thanks for all the input. The Flight looks like a great place to start. Don't want rim brakes, or the Monocog would be fine, too.

What's the approximate street price for a Flight?

Thanks again.
    x4 flight....

puzzled this very issue as you did....wanted to try but not sure so went eBay used and cheap....08 flight for $800 with juicy's and reba......best decision i ever made...i havent ridden gearie, 26, aluminum or FS since.....

you won't regret it....just keep yer eye on eBay and Craigs for when a great find comes up....but if you want rigid just get a new one - retails under $900 (may want to upgrade the BB5's tho....)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cheap Start-09_21_09-108.jpg  

Cheap Start-09_21_09-118.jpg  

I'm not on a mission to beat the crap out of myself and everyone else; it just comes naturally with the single speed

mtbr member

Really Cheap

If you want a new 29er, and if you're like me and you don't think $800 is cheap, go with the Outcast, $350 with free shipping.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...tcast29_08.htm

I have one and I've beaten the heck out of it, tons of riding, a few six hour races and lots of jumps. If you want something that is a bit more upgraded (and upgradeable) the 2010 version can't be beat for the price of $499.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...utcast29_x.htm

Big Paws on a Puppy!!
    I had a Monocog and sold it because of the 110mm rear spacing. I am a complete idiot for doing so. I am glad to see that Redline has re-released the matte blue color. I love that color. It might be time for me to visit my LBS.
    ‎"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb." - Tom Nuttall

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

SE Stout

Picked one up for $399 (still at that price now) added some mech disc brakes and haven't touched by geared bike now in a month.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/se/stout.htm
    - Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
    P. J. O'Rourke

Members who have read this thread: 0