cheap ss?- Mtbr.com

Thread: cheap ss?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

cheap ss?

Hi all, i was considering trying out the ss thing, but dont want to convert my geared bike just yet. So my question is are there any good ss bikes around the 5 to 6 hundred dollar range? would i have to look used? or would i be better of buying a cheap used geared bike and converting to ss? i looked at the ss bike/frame manufactureres in the FAQ but the ones i looked at are fairly pricey. so any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-SS-Details.html

$500 and appears to be well equipped.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Redline has some offerings in under that price range too. Monocog and Monocog 29er. They are full rigid though, unlike the Ibex. They also don't come standard with discs.

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adult...ocog-29er.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I am in the process of converting my to an ss; it is the option that makes more sense since the initial investment is minimum. If ss if not for you, you can put all the components back to the geary. This way you end up with one bike only. I am convinced that ss is my thing since I like simple bikes, I deslike derailleurs, and I enjoy climbing. This way I can keep the extra cash to buy me or build a true ss frame down the road. Other thing to consider is your actual frame. If it is a perfect fit and you enjoy riding it, you will be very proud with your project conversion. Best of luck.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I thought I saw GT, Jamis or was it Haro that has something at around that price

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    GT, Redline, Modobecane, and others have good packages for cheap. I love ssing. Spend $30 bucks and turn that old hard tail into a ss with a conversion kit.

I have a spendy FS, but prefer riding my cheaper single speed.

Good Luck in your quest.

mtbr member
    I was like you too. I have a SIR9 that can be geared or SS. I didn't want to convert my bike so I bought a dedicated SS. IMO, you should spend about a $1k and get a nicer SS bike to begin with because you will probably end up riding it more than you thought. Anyhow, for $1k you can go bianchi Roz or a Gary fisher Rig. Both are pretty light 29ers and come with a nice suspension fork. IF you don't want a suspension fork, than $5-600 is probably good enough.
    Got LEFTY?
    -2017 C’dale Scalpel Carbon 3
    -2016 C’dale Slate Force 1
    -2014 C’dale Bad Boy 1

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by dinkirk
    Hi all, i was considering trying out the ss thing, but dont want to convert my geared bike just yet. <snip>
    Sorry to ask, but why don't you want to convert your current bike? What's your current ride?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i currently have a gary fisher piranha, and like it a lot, but i have been reading a lot in here about ssing and it sounds like something i might want to try. i didnt want to convert my piranha to ss in case i dont like it... for some reason i didnt consider that i can just change it back to gearie if thats the case. is the piranha a decent frame to try ssing on? thanks for all the replies!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Don't just convert it, strip that thing down, paint it and make it something different.

Here's a GT Timberline I just finished. As far as your frame, it's fine to make a SS!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bike Building and Painting

Crystavox Single Speed Bikes

local trails rider
    My suggestion:
    Step one:
    Ride your current bike without shifting for a while. Find a gearing that you can cope with. (It took me a couple of rides to forget about shifting)

Step two:
    Convert, or buy a new bike.

edit: the Piranha is no different from most other hardtails when it comes to converting. You just need a chain tensioner to make it work.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dinkirk
    i didnt want to convert my piranha to ss in case i dont like it... for some reason i didnt consider that i can just change it back to gearie if thats the case.
    Yeah, I'd rather take the $50 hit of a conversion if I didn't like it vs. the $500 hit of a new bike.

I just converted my Trek 7000 so I could try it out. I've only got one quick ride on it so far but if I like it I'll make the choice to either leave the 7000 ss and buy a 29er geared bike, or swap back to gears on the 7000 and get a ss 29er,

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by duotone
    Don't just convert it, strip that thing down, paint it and make it something different.

Here's a GT Timberline I just finished. As far as your frame, it's fine to make a SS!

1st-nice gt conversion
    2nd-yea...what he said!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have a Raleigh XXIX that I bought off a friend for $400. I think you can get it new for $5-600. Fully rigid...been a great bike for me so far.....

OLDFATSLOW
    Jul 2006

... and if we just ... A different approach

If you want to "try it for a while" there is a easy way. Get a "Forte" single speed kit for about $20-30, buy a cheap set of brake levers also ($15-20?). Take your current shifters/brake levers off, along with the cables and derailuers. If you store them carefully you won't have to buy new cables to reinstall everything. Shorten your chain to fit the middle ring and your new singlespeed setup. (hey, you need to replace the chain sometime anyway)
    If you like the single speed scene, you can ditch the big/small ring and get different chainring bolts and you can upgrade everything as they wear out/break.

I have switched setups this way on my 2 hardtails several times. If you happen to have an old set of shifters/brake levers, you can carefully cut the shifter part off to save some more money.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Great tips guys, i think i might try the "try it for a while approach". thanks a lot for all the responses!

mtbr member
    That's what I did on my 99 Rockhopper (steel frame), started with the Forte kit and a SRAM PC1 SS chain, and went to town. I now run a better spacer kit, cog, and Rennen tensioner, but the Forte kit will definitely get your rolling single speed. Be aware though, I tried to just lengthen my current chain, and it did not fit the forte SS cogs.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by cmay218
    I have a Raleigh XXIX that I bought off a friend for $400. I think you can get it new for $5-600. Fully rigid...been a great bike for me so far.....
    whilst i don't have a Raleigh lbs close enuff to see,and i'm sure better prices are to be had fer someone lookin,the advertised msrp is around $750-ish.

BTW,i wouldn't be offended to the idea of ownin one myself
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

Members who have read this thread: 0