cheap spacers?- Mtbr.com

Thread: cheap spacers?

more beers, lees gears.

cheap spacers?

I dont get why 9spd spacers cost $35. are they nothing more than aluminum rings in a few widths?

i am running a ghetto SS at the moment (full 9 speed cassette, with no derailleur), and need to buy a surly or CK cog. Just think its lame i need to spend the same amount on some spacers.

any alternatives? everything seems to be $30+ or in a cheap SS conversion kit with terrible parts. Call me a cheat a$$ if you want. Just not happy about a $30 - $42 cog + $35 in small spacers.
    A burrito is a sleeping bag for ground beef.

~Disc~Golf~
    PVC pipe - paint it any color you like!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

more beers, lees gears.
    i have heard that. 1.25"?

Any issues with it allowing the cog to flex?
    Anyone use copper or aluminum piping?

I assume if i can measure and cut straight it should be go.

still riding
    I just got some spacers for like 10 dollars

AZ
    banned
    1 1/4 " abs pipe , its already black .

bikexor
    make your life easier and get a pipe-cutter! it'll cut it straight everytime. make sure you get a large enough one to cut 1.25" pipe though, the common ones usually only handle 1.125" (just barely large enough for 1 1/8" steer tubes).
    Little Shred Riding Hood

mtbr member
    you could also ask your local shop to save a few worn out cassettes that are headed to the trash bin, oull them apart and save the spacers that are in between the cogs
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

Shred...it's the new drug
    I used a chrome pipe that I found at ace hardware for the downspout of a bathroom sink. Perfect fit and cut to perfect your chain line. I think it was $5 and super shiny!!! oooo...shiny objects.

endlessgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by mattKHS
    I dont get why 9spd spacers cost $35. are they nothing more than aluminum rings in a few widths?

i am running a ghetto SS at the moment (full 9 speed cassette, with no derailleur), and need to buy a surly or CK cog. Just think its lame i need to spend the same amount on some spacers.

any alternatives? everything seems to be $30+ or in a cheap SS conversion kit with terrible parts. Call me a cheat a$$ if you want. Just not happy about a $30 - $42 cog + $35 in small spacers.

EndlessBikeCo. Fibonacci Spacer Kits are all made right here in Asheville, NC and only cost $25.00 for every possible size you need to reach the golden chainline. They are manufactured out of 7075 T6 anodized aluminum. The EndlessBikeCo. Kick-Ass Cogs are all 100% made in the USA and rock! Please feel free to shoot me an email at endlessbikes@gmail.com and/or check out the website at www.endlessbikes.com.
    I'd love to have you check out my product.
    Cheers,
    Shanna

more beers, lees gears.
    where at Shrederland?

good stuff guys. Yes pipe cutter is a must. ABS black will work. i like the idea of metal too.

i looked at an old cassette i had, but its an LX, and the spacers looked part of the cogs, not removable.

my local shops stink. no SS cogs even.

mtbr member

AZ
    banned
    I heartily recomend using wide base cogs so there is no damage done to your cassette hub .

more beers, lees gears.
    thanks trrubicon06. i may grab those $12 spacers.

az.mtns i plan on going CK or surly. at a 20t. maybe i look at endless too. i like USA made on parts that matter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    I heartily recomend using wide base cogs so there is no damage done to your cassette hub .
    Old 7 and 8 speed cassettes and a nice source of spacers and wide flange cogs. Any good LBS should have lots of old ones laying around. I also ground the teeth off of the smallest cog so the lock ring had a nice secure way to snug everything together nice and tight.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Here you go.. http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?p...jor=10&minor=5 Spacers $12.95 and a steel cog $6.95. If you are using a steel free hub body you will have no problem.

mtbr member
    If you buy your ABS or PVC pipe at the big box stores, they should cut it to whatever length you want.... that way you're not spending $20 on a pipe cutter you'll only use once

still riding
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebo
    Here you go.. http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?p...jor=10&minor=5 Spacers $12.95 and a steel cog $6.95. If you are using a steel free hub body you will have no problem.
    these are the ones I got

Members who have read this thread: 0