cheap-ish SS specific rear hub (cassette)- Mtbr.com
    i also unicycle
    Jan 2007

cheap-ish SS specific rear hub (cassette)

not for me personally, but i'm build up a jabberwocky for a customer and he's unsure of what hubs he wants to run. 99% sure he's running stan's rims, 32H, and he doesn't want to spend a ton of money. when i built my monocog frame i used some redline mtb hub that was on a big sale. other suggestions?
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Define "cheapish".
    I'd go with a Surly hub. There are cheaper hubs, but Surly makes reliable stuff.
    If you want made in the USA hubs, Paul Components hubs are probably the least expensive (at least compared to Chris King, White Industries, or Phil Wood).

Oops - you said "cassette" in parenthesis. Never mind.

Retro Grouch
    <a href="http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_174027_-1_201521_10000_200428">Nashbar Single Speed Cassette</a> $50 less 15%. Boat anchor tough, 4 sealed bearings.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    well he said cassette hub , not just a cassette. Id say (even though im not fortunate enough to own either ) a DT swiss SS hub or a Chris King. I dont think there are any "cheap" SS specific hubs.what are we talking here, sub $100?
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    probably looking at under $100. i'll have to get back in touch with my customer, see if i can talk him into/further explain freewheel options.

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    well he said cassette hub , not just a cassette. Id say (even though im not fortunate enough to own either ) a DT swiss SS hub or a Chris King. I dont think there are any "cheap" SS specific hubs.what are we talking here, sub $100?
    nuckie, THE NASHBAR IS A HUB. What in the world would a single speed cassette look like anyway?

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    nuckie, THE NASHBAR IS A HUB.
    I doubt you can roll your eyes that many times in a row, anyways that is pretty cool. I thought it was a freewheel hub at first. nashbar is a pretty reputable company and I bet that hub is decently built. for future reference no one disappoint aka brad he'll give you the stink eye . the cassette would look like one off a king SS hub I guess

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    I doubt you can roll your eyes that many times in a row, anyways that is pretty cool. I thought it was a freewheel hub at first. nashbar is a pretty reputable company and I bet that hub is decently built.
    It's a rebranded Novatec

local trails rider
    Hope Singlespeed/Trials?

Not under $100, though. They are loud, which you love or hate.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    It's a rebranded Novatec
    I want one!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    i didnt look very hard but i could only find the nashbar hub in 36 hole.

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by will3554
    i didnt look very hard but i could only find the nashbar hub in 36 hole.
    Oops my bad; the Nashbar does only come in 36. If you want a 32 spoke you'll have to go with the <a href="http://www.woodmancomponents.com/catalog/categorie.php?cat=hub&lang=en&art=hub6"> Woodman Bill </a> rebrand. They run about $100 (I hope the added expense is for upgraded bearings).

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The WTB can usually be found fairly cheap. It's fairly light and quite durable as well. In my opinion, it's the best value for a SS cassette hub.

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...d+Mtb+Disc+Hub

Low Rep Count
    I understand what you mean by cheap. But I don't think you can put the White's in the same class as the King's. The King cost twice as much as my Eno! Trust me, I wanted a King so bad but I just couldn't fund it. I am more than happy with my White's though! They look beautiful (have to get the polished ones-black ones look like every other cheap hub) and when paried with the Trials freewheel, I think they are just as strong and reliable!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cheap-ish SS specific rear hub (cassette)-rear%2520wheel.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    The WTB can usually be found fairly cheap. It's fairly light and quite durable as well. In my opinion, it's the best value for a SS cassette hub.

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...d+Mtb+Disc+Hub
    Like here.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    well, nevermind everyone. thanks for the help. guy came in today with a pretty detailed parts list, chris king hubs. he figures this wheel set will be damn near indestructible, and move from bike to bike. and wheels are the blingiest part of an SS, so why not spend some money there.

Low Rep Count
    Doesn't sound like he is making a bad choice. I love the King hubs but just didn't have the loot! If I hadn't just got these wheels built, I would have thought about sending the hubs out w/ my cranks to Crazy8 to let him color match them for me! Oh well, they work fine and the polished looks pretty good as is.

Members who have read this thread: 0