cheap freewheel/ disc SS hubs- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

cheap freewheel/ disc SS hubs

anyone still make one besides Surly? Paul and WI hubs are nice, of course, but expensive. I want to build a dedicated SS wheel on a budget and eventually splurge on a WI freewheel, but there seem to be so few options. they seem to be pretty rare in the used maket too. call me silly, but I have a standard cassette type hub with a bunch of spacers on it and i've always wanted to build a dedicated SS wheel.

mtbr member
    Any reason you don't want the Surlys? I have two sets of wheels built around the Ultra New hubs (fixed gear 29er and my SS cross bike) and they are great. You could probably trek the whole globe on them with no issues from what I have experienced.

mtbr member
    Surly hubs are fine except I can't find them used anywhere. I am trying to expand my search.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Saw a formula hub on ebay for ten bucks.

Niagra and Treefort have paul hubs for 116.

Paul Components WORD Disk 135mm Rear Single Speed Disc Hub in Tree Fort Bikes Rear Hubs

I mean, dang. That's so cheap I'm thinking about buying one, except for all the dithering (see my "ocd" thread)

mtbr member
    I guess I have not been looking long enough. does Formula make a freewheel disc hub? I don't want a cheap cassette SS hub because I don't want to risk a freehub blowing up on me. if I am going to go that route, I would buy a nice Hope hub or something like that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    huh, they have threads and splines. guess the threads must be for a lockring? saw some old ones for freewheel but no disc bolts. why is life so hard

mtbr member
    I come across a WTB SS hub every once and a while. Seem to be good value and not too many people out looking for them. I have a set of WTB SS hubs on a pair of Bontrager Line TLR's (33mm external 28mm internal) that I am waiting for the snow to melt to get a ride on.

WillWorkForTrail
    Seems like Origin-8 made/makes some.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmtb1 View Post
    I come across a WTB SS hub every once and a while. Seem to be good value and not too many people out looking for them. I have a set of WTB SS hubs on a pair of Bontrager Line TLR's (33mm external 28mm internal) that I am waiting for the snow to melt to get a ride on.
    The WTBs SS hubs have a rep for blowing up, still have an NOS one sitting around in the garage, only run 142x12s now. Hopes also break on the aluminium axle 142x12(did mine) gave me a steel replacement all good now. That axle had no business being aluminium, there was a machined step where it went from the needle bearing to a sealed bearing interface. I think Hope fixed it on the Pro 4s.