Cheap frame: IRO vs Tsunami?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cheap frame: IRO vs Tsunami?

Looking for a cheap frame because I'm cheap, but I don't want to convert a hardtail (would rather not have a tensioner). Anyone have any comments on either frame? With IRO's free shipping promo, I think they would be very close in price. I'm leaning IRO right now because of the lower-key paint and the standard headset.

Also, is there any reason I can't use a converted 8-speed wheel in a SS frame? I can't think of anything except maybe chainline...

Thanks!

Fat, but working on it...
    I would suggest you go on over to webcyclery.com and get a Redline Monocog frame. $200 gets you a frame, fork, and wheel set. Only drawback is they have a limited number of sizes.

formerly ss-nyc
    Feb 2004

Iro

Quote Originally Posted by slowride
    Looking for a cheap frame because I'm cheap, but I don't want to convert a hardtail (would rather not have a tensioner). Anyone have any comments on either frame? With IRO's free shipping promo, I think they would be very close in price. I'm leaning IRO right now because of the lower-key paint and the standard headset.

Also, is there any reason I can't use a converted 8-speed wheel in a SS frame? I can't think of anything except maybe chainline...

Thanks!
    I rode the IRO road fixed frame a few months ago and it was really nice. The Owner, Tony, is also very easy to deal with. Just tell him "NYCfixie" from the mtbr.com board and the "Kogswell" board sent you and he might hook you up even better. If you look at his website you will see that he has a sale on fully built MTB/SS.

If it matters to you: webcyclery.com sells his frames, nycbikes.com sells his track frame and hubs, and harriscyclery.com sells his track hubs.

I have no relation to IRO. I actually purcashed a Kogswell road frame after riding his road frame because I wanted steel instead of aluminium but I still communicate with him on the Kogswell message board. It's cool that he does not hold a grudge even though I purchased a competing product to his.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cosmo: I saw that deal as well, unfortunately the 15" is too small and the 19" is too big. Otherwise I would have ordered it... Oh well.

NYC: Thanks for the info! I'm looking to get the Highlander frame... I notice Webcyclery sells them for $300, but IRO is having a sale right now: $179 and free shipping if you use Paypal. I'm thinking that's pretty much a great deal...

Thanks guys!