cheap(er) SS with front suspension suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

cheap(er) SS with front suspension suggestions

I am looking at purchasing a dedicated SS bike (which also will be my race bike). Being a college student, funds are limited. So budget is important (so no Gary Fisher Superfly SS or anything super nice) and I am looking to stay under 1500 or so. I also want a SS with front suspension, I just find it more comfortable to ride over long rides. I do not have any brand preference, but it would be nice to be able to see the bike in person (instead of just buying online). I can build up the bike, so no preference there. So what are your suggestions, I know of the Fisher Rig, and the Specialized Rockhopper and Stumpjumper. Any other input is gladly taken.

Scott
    Last edited by sparticus113; 10-16-2009 at 09:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Stay away from online purchases. Bike shops do what online sales cannot provide-proper fit. You can get a fisher for 1100 or so. Fox fork makes well worth it. BB7 brakes-G2 geometry is no hype either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I hate G2 geometry. Not for me. Make sure you give it a ride.

Are you thinking a 29er or 26er?
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

mtbr member
    Another possibility is finding a really nice, good condition used hardtail whether its an SS frame or not, and then get a Forward Components EBB or a WI eccentric rear wheel and sell the drivetrain parts. Depending on your area you might be able to score an awesome bike

mtbr member
    I have ridden bikes with the G2 technology, and as you said, I would like to go local if possible so I can ride them first. I live in Fort Collins, CO so I have a pretty good bike community, and Boulder and Denver are both an hour away, so I am pretty fortunate. I am going to the FAQ to read up on the EBB, I thought they only came in frames from the factory. I would prefer a 29er, but if there is a good deal on a 26" bike, I would take that as well. I notice a lot of bikes from factories come with rigid forks KHS, Surly, etc) can you replace them with a suspension 29er fork and still not have issues with the frame? Thank you for all the help!

Scott

mtbr member
    Yes, you can install a suspension fork on any ss, as long as you get the correct travel that is recommended for your bike. If you dont you can alter the geometry and really have a field day with your new chopper You can do a 69er , but again the handling will suffer a bit. THe g2 geometry uses a dedicated fork , but you can certainly ride without it and not be dissapointed.
    Last edited by el davido; 10-17-2009 at 09:19 AM.

mtbr member
    So after reading up on the FAQ, I still don't exactly get EBB's. to retrofit a frame with an EBB, do you have to have the frame machined for a larger OD bottom bracket? Or is the retrofits that the FAQ show, just go into the current BB, and then there are singlespeed specific cranks? Thank you for the help.

Scott

I ride with tools
    you could save a bundle and buy my 18" Haro Mary 29er single speed with Rockshox Reba SL fork. Frame, brakes, and BB / cranks are new. Fork and wheels are 1 year old.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sparticus113
    So after reading up on the FAQ, I still don't exactly get EBB's. to retrofit a frame with an EBB, do you have to have the frame machined for a larger OD bottom bracket? Or is the retrofits that the FAQ show, just go into the current BB, and then there are singlespeed specific cranks? Thank you for the help.

Scott
    Normally an EBB does need a much larger BB shell, so much larger that it has to be built that way from the start. This Forward Components EBB that I mentioned is a special retrofit piece that replaces an external bb and has some ability to rotate. Here is their page. Not necessarily the best option for everyone, but still a good option

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    i dont really like this one but motobeacane has one for about $500 bucks

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...utcast29_x.htm

I also found this meaty deal:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/se/stout.htm
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If you must have suspension you could pick up a Rockhopper Comp and convert it to SS, or you could get teh Rockhopper SL SS 29er.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...enuItemId=9253

mtbr member
    Thank you for all the help, hopefully I can finish saving up for the GF Rig soon enough. the local bike shop that sells them has always treated me well, so yet another reason to support them. So any tips for riding a single speed?

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by sparticus113
    Thank you for all the help, hopefully I can finish saving up for the GF Rig soon enough. the local bike shop that sells them has always treated me well, so yet another reason to support them. So any tips for riding a single speed?
    dont stop pedaling , wheeze on through a big hill , beat the roadies at all cost
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    The rig comes with with a 32-18 set up. You might want to move up to a 20 if you have alot of technical and steep terrain. Also work out a deal for the big sweeps-it is a love hate relationship with them. You will spend alot of time out of the saddle on climbs as well. Just saw at the bars and grind your way up and you will be amazed how efficient climbing on a ss really is. enjoy!
    I'm not the monster here, you are. You and the rest of that fairy tale trash, poisoning my perfect world.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris

I'm not sure if SE (aka fuji) has used a different fork on this one in '09, as we didn't get any in the shop, but the '07 and '08 ( I own one) used a super heavy cro-mo fork. Almost hi-ten weight. It is so heavy it gives the bike a front heavy feel. Have not done the numbers, but it feels heavier than the rest of the bike built up, minus wheels.

Also, the BMX style 3pc FSA crank weighs a ton. the frame is a good deal, but to make it a pleasure to ride, and race as you said you wanted to, you will be looking to at least upgrade the crankset, BB, and fork. Not to mention the crappy crappy tektro brakes. Also, again not sure about the BD one (site is down at the moment) but the '07 and '08 do not have disk tabs, only v/canti bosses. Just my .02

I'd say take a Rig for a spin, or look at Redline, or Haro. Both underrated, and decent bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

29er or 26 and????

if 26 PM me if you think you might be interested and, if you're size (5 foot 11) is similar to mine I have an SS that I'm getting ready to part with.

Sycip Diesel.
    Happy new year..Stuff $: Eno 29wheel (non disc), Yakima, 2 steelheads, with towers for Volvo luggage rails.

mtbr member
    thanks for the advice. I have tried my regular bike in the 32/18 ratio, and I am fine. and funny that you say beat the roadies...I am also a roadie in addition to mtb biking (I just do most of it, none of that recumbent crap though)

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    SS...skip the 26" wheel junk go straight to 29er. Love my Haro Mary, but you'd have to buy fork seperate or buy good used bike with a fork. Jamis Dragon One is pretty well spec'd with Tora Solo Air and some nice other parts for good price. Ride before you buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Get off the couch and ride!

Members who have read this thread: 0