'Cheap and cheerful' singlespeeds over bling geared bikes?- Mtbr.com
    Ride steel, stay hairy.

'Cheap and cheerful' singlespeeds over bling geared bikes?

Is it just me?

I've owned some beautiful geared bikes (Santa Cruz Superlight, Salsa Ti La Cruz, Specialized Tarmac), but in the end I always let them go ...keeping my 'cheap and cheerful' single speeds.

It seems that the more expensive and bling the bike, the less I ride it and the less I like it..? I'd reach for a Kona Paddywagon over the Specialized Tarmac, sold the Santa Cruz Superlight because I only rode a Surly 1x1 (later replaced with an equally practical 29er) .

The one geared bikes are pretty much the only constant in my stable and the only ones that get a workout. I've a little BMX for playing in the dirt with my young son, a Kona Paddywagon that I ride everywhere, and a very nice but simple GT Peace 9r. Reckon the most expensive bike I've kept is worth sub $900. ...steel sems to also be a common thread in the keepers.

Anyone else suffer from this affliction?

www.bottlesandchains.com
    'ride local, drink global'

mtbr member
    Absolutely, rode my SS rigid MTB today, my SS road bike yesterday. My geared MTB and road bike are getting jealous!

WillWorkForTrail
    There is a certain Zen to anything single speed. You really just have to ride it, no excuses. I think it changes you mindset and your attitude.

Robtre
    ^^^^^ All agreed here as well. Single speeding conforms to my simplistic purest attitude. The first time I heard of singlespeeding I was instantly sold, the only doubt was am I strong enough? I can only go so fast in the woods, and I can do it on my single speed. I built my SS 29er for durability, and strength. I dont care about weight, and I dont care about the latest tech on the market. I think it has made me a better rider after 6 years of riding, 3 of that on SS. Love it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    There is a certain Zen to anything single speed. You really just have to ride it, no excuses. I think it changes you mindset and your attitude.
    Well put.

The need for singlespeed
    I like eyecandy, but practical builds win over blingalings imo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    how about the best of both worlds: the Blinglespeed?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    There is just something really satisfying when you realize that your $300 SS does everything just as well as your blinged out bike.

Ride steel, stay hairy.
    Quote Originally Posted by DickTeaseDude View Post
    There is just something really satisfying when you realize that your $300 SS does everything just as well as your blinged out bike.
    Mate I think this is it in a nutshell for me. ..this and the fact when I'm on a geared bike I tend to hunt for the 'right' gear too much.
    www.bottlesandchains.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bdstorer View Post
    Mate I think this is it in a nutshell for me. ..this and the fact when I'm on a geared bike I tend to hunt for the 'right' gear too much.
    I completely agree, once I was surprised how much momentum I wasted by doing that...
    Friends don't let friends ride geared bikes

blet drive
    well said
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

Ride steel, stay hairy.
    I built a really nice Ti Salsa La Cruz with a Ti Tubus rack as an ultra-light touring rig but other than a short tour along the Darling River it sat idle whilst my Kona Paddywagon roamed all over the countryside on a multitude of tours. I just enjoyed touring n the single more. Apart from not having to think about gears, I felt more relaxed about tying up a cheaper bike outside pubs etc..
    www.bottlesandchains.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdstorer View Post
    That never happened to me when I used to ride gears. To me, no matter what the set up, I only utilized 3 settings - highest, lowest, and middle (smallest front and rear). I use middle for most, highest for flat/straight, and lowest for any sort of hills.

Naturally, SS was the right choice for me, because I never liked "figuring out" the right gear per terrain.

Members who have read this thread: 0