Cheap 29er Single Speed- Mtbr.com
    REALLY?

Cheap 29er Single Speed

I found this new - I'm not looking for anything expensive and this bike fits about how much I want to spend (400.00$ or less) - this bike will be mostly used for urban/light offroad and camping. Does anyone know of this frame is decent, I've never owned a Motobecane?

Last edited by jeffgothro; 12-18-2008 at 01:06 AM.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    i would like to know too. i think i might pick one up. not sure if the 21" will be big enough though....

Witty McWitterson
    reports say they're servicable. The stock gearing sucks, but change it out to something more trail friendly, and you've got a rider!
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    I'd say go for it. There's no short cut to quality on a bicycle so there's got to be some compromises in its construction, but you can always replace parts with something better as they wear out or when you can afford them.

And at $400 it will still be a better bicycle than a $1,000 bike which has gears and suspension.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Post on the Motobecane forum. You'll probably find Outcast 29 riders there who can give you a full review. I've ridden my Motobecane Fantom 29pro for a year now with no issues.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    http://www.bicycledoctorusa.com/ has the redline mono-cog for $439 - I would choose it over the Motobecane. For the use you mention, either would work fine, but with redline you know your getting a frame that is atleast designed right for 29" wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The Redline mono-cog looks pretty sweet. Keep in mind the Motobecane price includes shipping.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Was looking for a SS 29er too, went with a Redline Monocog and Monocog Flight.

Why? Resale value. With the other motobecane offerings you get some great components that you could swap onto a nicer frame down the road. With the SS 29er from Moto there is nothing worth swapping and the bike is not going to retain its resale value like a more recognizeable name brand bike.

I bought a trek 1000 for commuting for 550 and a year later sold it for 500. You would be lucky to fetch 200 for the Moto a year down the road.

mtbr member
    i just recently was in the same spot. i chose the redline over the moto mainly because of the steel frame, but it also has better components and gearing. check to see if there is a local lbs that deals with redline. my lbs ordered me a 08 monocog a couple months ago for 435$. it came with 32/20 gearing, which was exactly what i wanted. they can probably ordered it with whatever cog you want.

but, i love that white outcast frame . . . oh, also, i think some of the newer outcast are coming with disk brake tabs, but the older frames didn't have them, fwiw.

REALLY?
    Normally I would switch over to the Redline now, I prefer steel over aluminum and like the disc brakes on the Redline, but I think I will stick to the Moto as of I can put racks on it, there are frame eyelets, which I may need to do for camping, plus I'm trying to keep the price down. Also I found some reviewes on the Moto after I posted - and the reviews sound promising aside from a few part upgrades. Thanks for the input everyone.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    ya i think i would rather go with the redline. im gonna want to upgrade it, disc's, mabe a fork, and some other stuff for bling. and it would be much easyer with the redline

Members who have read this thread: 0