Cheap 26" Complete Singlespeed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cheap 26" Complete Singlespeed?

A friend's son is now tall enough to ride the smallest of adult bikes and is interested in a singlespeed. Now that Redline has dropped 26" wheels from their line up, I"m not sure what options are out there for sub $500 complete new singlespeeds. Anyone know of a bike that fits the bill?
    Fat, tired.

meh... whatever
    linky

from the above link, in bold...

"Also available in a 26 wheel."
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Jenson is still running closeouts on a couple 26" SS that are just above your price point - a 2006 Jamis Exile SS at $629 and Voodoo Wanga $639 (UPS ground shipping was $30 no tax). https://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/...nglespeed.aspx

Check out the big wheel bikes too - a buddy of mine's 13 year old just bought the monocog 29er. He's no taller than 5'2" and he's rocking that bike.

I went for the Jamis myself last Fall - my first SS. Overall I am satisfied with the bike - though at this price point I'll admit the component picks are low-end - the Manitou fork is so-so, the Hayes hydro brakes are just OK, and the Truvativ crankset is fair at best. I ended up swapping out the original tires, seat, and pedals for some old favs I had on hand in my parts bin. After selling them on Craigslist the bike came to just over $500.

I really like the steel frame, plus the ano-black paint job is very cool with all black components. Overall I love the way this bike rides, and it is an upgrade-worthy frame. Here's a pic of my Jamis.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the great mini review on the Exile! I've had my eye on that, over at the Jensen website. Specially since they've got 13" frames, which would fit my wife. I'm debating whether I really want to get her started SS'ing, since she worries enough already, without seeing the trails I ride....

mtbr member
    Also keep an eye out for Bianchi closeouts. I picked up a year-old new SASS a while back for $550. Awesome bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I just ordered an Exile from Jenson last night. I think it's a sweet deal for $600 and some change!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My son is 12, about 5'3" and 110#. He's gotten too big for a BMX bike, so I was looking for a 26" single speed. I ride a Monocog 29er which is inexpensive and durable, so I looked around for a 26" Monocog in a small frame. I found one on Ebay in excellent condition, total price shipped was like $275. He loves the bike! The only thing I had to do was gear it down, now running a 32/21 and does pretty good. A 32/22 might be better, but I want to work a little bit

If you're trying to size a bike for a kid, here's some tips for rigids:

Small Frame 16" - 5' to 5"6"
    Medium 17" - 5'4" to 5"10"

My daughter is 5"8" and she rides a medium KHS Solo One with no problems. If you are in doubt, then go smaller. You can always raise the seat post, get riser bars, and slide the seat back. A novice rider who is small and not "adult strong" will be able to handle a small bike more easilly.

mtbr member
    I've seen plenty of good deals on 26" geared bikes for under $500. Get one of those and a SS conversion kit and teach the kid how to convert.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by repoman
    Jenson is still running closeouts on a couple 26" SS that are just above your price point - a 2006 Jamis Exile SS at $629
    Looks like I got the last one! Only 13" are showing up now. I feel so special

mtbr member
    On*One or GT
    Go BIG (in your own way), or Stay Home

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by repoman
    Jenson is still running closeouts on a couple 26" SS that are just above your price point - a 2006 Jamis Exile SS at $629 and Voodoo Wanga $639 (UPS ground shipping was $30 no tax). https://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/...nglespeed.aspx

Check out the big wheel bikes too - a buddy of mine's 13 year old just bought the monocog 29er. He's no taller than 5'2" and he's rocking that bike.

I went for the Jamis myself last Fall - my first SS. Overall I am satisfied with the bike - though at this price point I'll admit the component picks are low-end - the Manitou fork is so-so, the Hayes hydro brakes are just OK, and the Truvativ crankset is fair at best. I ended up swapping out the original tires, seat, and pedals for some old favs I had on hand in my parts bin. After selling them on Craigslist the bike came to just over $500.

I really like the steel frame, plus the ano-black paint job is very cool with all black components. Overall I love the way this bike rides, and it is an upgrade-worthy frame. Here's a pic of my Jamis.

yer right,that black on black looks sweet !
    curious,what truvativ cranks came on it that you had probs with?thanx.
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    longhaultrucker - Thanks for the thumbs up - all black bikes are the fastest! The stock crank set is a Truvativ FireX SS. I read a few reviews where others mention one crank coming loose, then after about 8-9 rides I start feeling some play down there. Tightened it up good, a couple rides later same story. Tightened it again, no problems so far, but I need to ride it some more.

Members who have read this thread: 0