Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    497

    cheap 104bcd 32t chainring

    Looking for a cheap 104bcd 32t chainring. My current chainring tries to shift as my steel frame bends under heavy pedaling. I commute to school on this bike.

    Being that I'm a student in perpetual debt, I was wanting to keep this as cheap as possible.....but I'm all ears for any suggestions.
    ***

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mack_turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,573
    any bike shop should be able to get you a cheap alu chainring. Surly, Salsa, or Sugino should be around $30 or cheaper for a generic one

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sasquatch rides a SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,565
    +1 Salsa

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,961
    I've had a couple rings from Blackspire and Salsa. All were good and I really couldn't tell any difference between them in function or life. My Surly stainless ring seemed to burr pretty quickly and I don't trust it too much to not bend on me. Probably not a good choice for a 4-bolt crankset on a flexy frame

    Pricepoint has that size Blackspire for $25

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sasquatch rides a SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,565
    That's a good price for that chainring nice find

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    I've had a couple rings from Blackspire and Salsa. All were good and I really couldn't tell any difference between them in function or life. My Surly stainless ring seemed to burr pretty quickly and I don't trust it too much to not bend on me. Probably not a good choice for a 4-bolt crankset on a flexy frame

    Pricepoint has that size Blackspire for $25
    I have been running a surly steel ring for about 6 years, probably 5 to 6 thousand miles on it and it still looks good. You can't beat the durability of steel for a chain ring. If you keep your bolts tight, it won't bend.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Traktor View Post
    I have been running a surly steel ring for about 6 years, probably 5 to 6 thousand miles on it and it still looks good. You can't beat the durability of steel for a chain ring. If you keep your bolts tight, it won't bend.
    yup I have also got the surly one... its pretty durable. and cheap.
    Friends don't let friends ride geared bikes

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shalom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,006
    e13 do a decent chain ring too, IME. And they are pretty cheap as well.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: htnswches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    47
    Blackspire,,, just got one online for $25, works for me, looks good and doesn't feel cheap @ all

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,735
    Support those that support the SS board
    Homebrewed Components Chainrings

    They are only $35 for aluminum. It sounds like you will end up paying shipping for something anyways.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sasquatch rides a SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Support those that support the SS board
    Homebrewed Components Chainrings

    They are only $35 for aluminum. It sounds like you will end up paying shipping for something anyways.

  12. #12
    clown question, bro
    Reputation: zeppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    That was a hell of a bump...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Are we just ignoring balls? Lol

  13. #13
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    9,286
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppy View Post
    That was a hell of a bump...
    Sometimes 'squatch likes to stir the pot.

    --sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    193
    Deleted.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sasquatch rides a SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,565
    It's a shame that Salsa stopped producing chainrings. Dimension is making a similar looking chainring now for a similar price..hopefully the quality is there as I'm thinking of picking a couple up.

Similar Threads

  1. Does a 28T or 30T 104BCD chainring exist?
    By mtnbiker72 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-22-2014, 06:25 PM
  2. Looking for a 30t chainring for a 104bcd 9speed
    By bogusdogs in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-27-2013, 02:59 PM
  3. 30t 104bcd Chainring
    By Durga in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-22-2010, 12:05 PM
  4. Lightest 36T 104BCD Chainring and guard
    By bowmanized.com in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-28-2009, 04:00 PM
  5. Source for 104BCD 5-bolt SS chainring?
    By Au111 in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-05-2007, 09:52 AM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.