Chased down my first geared rider!!- Mtbr.com
    Feeling retro..but Jung

Chased down my first geared rider!!

My commute to work is about 5 km 4 of which are up. The grades are not huge but it never lets up or gets flat so it is simply tiring. 2/3 of the way through the climb there was a rider in front of me so I decided to real him in, I did not stand up I just pulled and pushed like I would on a geared bike but at a 50-55 rpm instead of 90. I cought him at about 200m after I saw him then went right on by it was GREAT!!! I live in europe as you can tell by my name and chasing down a european on a gear bike made it even better!! I have had my SS 8 days now and it gets better every day, I had to change the cog from
    18t to 22t the second day because I could not make that climb without stopping now I think I will go back to the 18t and give it another go!! SS has made me love my bike and riding again who would have thought selling all the expensive bikes and buying a cheap one would have made the difference...now I think I'm going to build a fixie road bike

(Univega Solo Ram XXIX or Raleigh XXIX in the U.S.A.)

Ovaries on the Outside
    Now you just need to learn to talk trash in German, so you and the natives have something to discuss when you pass them.

Off the back...
    Hallo, langsame Fahrer. Verzeihen Sie mir peinlich Sie mit meiner Leistung.
    I remember the first time I caught and passed somebody [I didn't know] on my SS. We were on some slightly climbing singletrack, and I could hear a squeaking noise up ahead. It was a Blur! I didn't even have to dial it up to 400W - I just reeled him in, yelled "Hallo, langsame Fahrer!" and passed high on the left. BAM!
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    It's not racing if only one of you are racing.

And catching a geared rider on a climb doesn't count.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    It's not racing if only one of you are racing.

And catching a geared rider on a climb doesn't count.
    Bingo.

I remember I was at the shop and a customer came up and recognized me from the trail. He said he saw me as he was passing. I didnt think much of it, and in fact ignored it but he kept talking about his ride and the trail. I think he was a bit proud seeing as how I was around half his age. How long was your ride? 10 miles he responded. Ohhhhhh, you passed me by the trail head? Yea, I was finishing up my 22 mile ride while you were finishing up your 10 mile ride. Thanks for playing!

You never know. I go on recovery rides, I go on long rides, and sometimes I go sprint. My pace is always changing from ride to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I like trying to jump as roadies go by me and draft behind them. When they look back and do the double take, the look on their face is priceless. HS, he is keeping up with me on a SS mountain bike!

Feeling retro..but Jung
    It was a goal not a "race" I will catch that guy type thing. He was riding in the same gear I used to middle 32 32..keep in mind also first SS and I am running 33 22 so it's not like I am turning monster gears..

Feeling retro..but Jung
    Small attainable goals are how you advance..can't run the army 10 miler with out running 2 first.. etc.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Chris, I raced a singlespeed against geared riders this season and hills were one place a singlespeed was an advantage to me. Actually the only place I was at a disadvantage was on flat open double track sections, or on technical descents.
    Keep on enjoying your bike.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    riders encountered on a commute are known as 'rabbits'....

game is to spot the rabbit...chase the rabbit....catch the rabbit....sometimes they're easy to sneak up on....sometimes not.....

once passed you become the 'rabbit'.....don't get caught

Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Congratulations. I recently started riding SS. And it is a shock to both me and my geared riding friends to see me keep up and in some cases, go faster on the technical trails. Those in the know understand I have to keep a cadence and they typically get out of my way on climbs now.

As for catching roadies on the road, I've been "caught" by mountain bikers huffing and puffing along as I click 120bpm on my recovery ride into work.

Members who have read this thread: 0