Changing thru-bolt on Surly hub- Mtbr.com
    My spoon is too big!

Changing thru-bolt on Surly hub

I have a Monocog Flight with Paragon sliders. The previous owner built it up with the thru-bolt hub, which seems unnecessary, and makes it a PIA to drop the rear wheel to get the bike in my car. So how hard is it to change the thru-bolt on a Surly hub to a QR? Is it just a matter of getting a new axle and skewer? I don't have the funds to replace the hub or wheel, so I hope it's an easy task.
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Yea, pretty simple.

Just need 135mm QR axle and skewer. Most LBS will have some laying around in a hub parts drawer. Surly hubs are fairly simple, just remove the old solid axle, reassemble in the same order, set tension on the bearings and tighten down the lock nuts with a set of cone wrenches.

My spoon is too big!
    Cool, that's what I figured. I wish I still had my cone wrench set. Guess I can just get the parts, and have my LBS do the assembly. Or borrow a set of wrenches for the day.

-Thanks!
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

mtbr member
    If you have never taken apart a hub, I would reccomend that you let your shop do the work. Surly hubs are pretty simple, specially with sealed bearings, but you need cone wrenches to get it tight. Also getting the axle lined up perfectly can take a novice some trial and error before they get it centered.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

one more thing....

you probably know what I meant but when I said 135mm axle I meant a QR axle for 135mm hub. The actual dimension of the axle should be 10x 142 I think or 145 maybe. Also double check to make sure they have the same thread pitch if your doing it yourself to avoid making multiple trips. I think that is pretty standard but just in case.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by medieval
    I have a Monocog Flight with Paragon sliders. The previous owner built it up with the thru-bolt hub, which seems unnecessary, and makes it a PIA to drop the rear wheel to get the bike in my car. So how hard is it to change the thru-bolt on a Surly hub to a QR? Is it just a matter of getting a new axle and skewer? I don't have the funds to replace the hub or wheel, so I hope it's an easy task.
    Through bolt? I assume you mean it is a solid bolt-on axle.

If you can not slide the axle out after removing one nut, it is not a through bolt (and Surly does not offer that option.
    https://surlybikes.com/parts/hubs
    The QR axle is readily available and easy to install.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

My spoon is too big!
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Through bolt? I assume you mean it is a solid bolt-on axle.

If you can not slide the axle out after removing one nut, it is not a through bolt (and Surly does not offer that option.
    https://surlybikes.com/parts/hubs
    The QR axle is readily available and easy to install.
    Yep, that's the one, I wasn't sure of the terminology.

@literocola, In the early 90's I did all of my own wrenching, and had a pretty full collection of tools. When I stopped riding, in '96, I sold most of the tools, and now regret it. Still, I'll probably have the shop install it.

Thanks for the replys everyone.
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Members who have read this thread: 0