Changing Gears during an "All Mountain"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Changing Gears during an "All Mountain"

So last weekend I participated in an awesome weekend of racing. The particular classic I was in offered a king of the mountain title to the person with the best placings in XC, short track and Down hill. You had to ride the "same bike" in all three categories and it was weighed before each event.

I've raced in the SS cat the last several years but this year decided to defect to the derailleur side of things so this controversy in no way effected my placings, but something interesting went on over in the SS group.

After the XC race on Saturday one of the competitors changed his gearing (too something way taller) for the Sunday short track and DH. An informal protest was made, but I don't think the organizers really understood single speeding, and they allowed the changes. After a truly incredible performance in the short track (1st overall including gearies) and a great DH run the first prize (All Mountain) was awarded to this individual. To everyone's credit no hard feeling lingered, and lots of beer was consumed.

So now to my question, what do you think. Does changing gears between competitions break the spirit of SS, or is it cool 'cause during each event only a true SS was ridden?

Is it a different bike because it has a new ratio?

I mean I change gears between races, sometimes, am I not really single speeding?

openwound
    I think that it's a different bike. Downieville does a similar thing for the all-mountain race: you have to run the same (weighed) bike for both the xc and dh races.

Seems to me that if the notion is that you have to "run what you brung", then changing your cog on a singlespeed would be like changing the cogset on a geared bike. Though, considering the Downieville model, if it's only based on weight, would two cogsets really weigh all that much differently? I don't really know all of the details of the D-ville rules, such that is it only based on weight, or do they actually look at the components?

Anyhow, in a contest like that, where everyone knows that they'll be competing in the multiple disciplines, it seems to me that if a rider got the gearing wrong, then he got it wrong. Dunno, maybe I'm seeing it too much black/white...

mtbr member
    Are you restricted from changing tires? I do not see the problem in changing gearing for different events. I also feel you could stop and change cogs mid race it you wanted to carry the tools and parts.

mtbr member
    I think that the weigh-in is just a practical means of keeping people honest. Reconfiguring your bike to give yourself an advantage is breaking the spirit of the rule, even if you adhere to the letter of the weight requirement.

I call "foul".

MONKEYMAN
    Like my Granny used to say: "If you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin!"
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    the spirit of the law would be broken in this case. the idea being that you don't make changes to the bike (at all).

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon_oma#692
    Are you restricted from changing tires? I do not see the problem in changing gearing for different events. I also feel you could stop and change cogs mid race it you wanted to carry the tools and parts.
    changing tires is not permitted.

if they were going to carry all the tools/parts on them for all the races, then i guess that would be okay.

the one exception to this rule would be a flip-flop rear wheel with a cog on each side. that would NOT break the rules.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Are you restricted from changing tires?
    Most definitely!

I'll tell you, my hardtail that was soooooo awesome on Saturday's XC race was like bringing a knife to a gun fight during the DH.

mtbr member
    did a 24 hour race a long time ago. during the day I was using 34/17. At night, I used my other wheelset to be 34/20.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Burn the Heretic

aka baycat
    Have you thought about increasing alcohol intake? Always perform better under the influence.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    changing out the gear on an SS for a DH event is nothing at all like changing to a close ratio roadie block for a geared DH bike.

In the geared case, all you're doing is dropping weight by dumping the gears that you'd usually never use in DH, on a SS your significantly increasing your top speed that you can pedal at compared to your regular ratio. The equivalent on a geared bike would be swapping out a front bashguarded chainring of 32 teeth for one at 44 teeth and claiming it was "the same bike".

Maybe potentially allowable, but definitely not in the spirit if it comes to no changes to the bike.

For what it's worth, I have a 24 hour teams race this weekend and although I'm going with 32:17 on the bike, I'll be taking an 18 tooth in case my strength starts dropping off for the climbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Is it 'required' to ride the SAME bike in all three event?
    IF you could change to a different SS bike, you could just change the gears on one bike.
    One bike for all is much cooler, though.

mtbr member
    I see no problem with it. Is it specified in the rules of the race series that SS bike have to run the same gearing in all three races? If not, then no big deal.
    I ride and race SS all the time. We have a local 12 race series over the spring and summer. If I raced SS in that, I would adjust my gearing every week for the course. Most racers there do.
    It just makes sense to me that you would use a taller gear for short track and DH as compared to XC. It seems like common sense to me. Sounds like a little sour grapes that the OP didn't think of it himself.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

is buachail foighneach me
    .....I also feel you could stop and change cogs mid race it you wanted to carry the tools and parts.

That would no longer be a singlespeed. It would be a really inefficient multispeed. In the context of that race, as long as you're not going for the ss division, it would be kosher I think, but you couldn't say that you did it on a singlespeed without gaining a lot of skeptics. It doesn't matter whether it's you or the derailluer changing the gearing of the bike, if the gearing is changed, it's a multispeed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Dear Hardline Orthodox Singlespeeders,

How about the flip flop hub that has already been proposed? If you've got two cogs on your wheel, are you a gearie rider?

is buachail foighneach me
    multispeed - having more than one gear ratio.

singlespeed - having one gear ratio.

no matter how many gear ratios there are on a multispeed, from 2 to 54, and no matter how you access those gears, you can only use one at a time. You can shift gears with a derailluer, or you can shift gears the more complicated way by removing the wheel and turning it around(assuming you're still using rim brakes) or swapping out the cog by hand. I personally don't care what you use, but if I were asked, I would say that a single speed bike only has one gear, not one on the bike and one in the pocket, or one on the bike and another one on the bike.

So if it's got a flip flop hub and you've got a different size cog on each side, I would say that it's really simple like a singlespeed, but since it has more than one 'speed', it's a multispeed with an inefficient shifting system.

mtbr member
    Did not realise ss had its own class.

mtbr member
    If you use more than one gear ratio within an event, you did not do it with a single speed.

There are myriad ways to cook up a neutered multi-speed bike, but none of them qualify as a single speed.

Gigantic Hawk
    SS is always a compromise. I'd be pissed too if somebody did this. Where's the challenge?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    now my fixed gear roadbike isn't cool any more, because it's got a flip flop geared drivetrain!

mtbr member
    Fixed gear road bikes haven't been cool for a while. . .

Members who have read this thread: 0