Changing Cog on WIFW- Mtbr.com
    SSOD

Changing Cog on WIFW

This a follow-up from previous thread about White Industries Freewheel vs Hope Pro II, was wondering it there is a way to to switch the cog on the WIFW. Looking at getting the trials version with the 72 POE but would rather put a 16t on it due to not wanting to buy several new chainrings to get current ratios. Not a big issue but if it's possible would be worth trying to save me a couple bucks to spend on something else for my bike. Thanks,

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    nope, even if you find a different sized "cog" for your WIFW it is probably very hard to take apart and but back together
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    it's possible, just pricy because you have to buy two freewheels and swap the outer cogs. It didn't sound too hard from the basic overview I remember seeing

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    it's possible, just pricy because you have to buy two freewheels and swap the outer cogs. It didn't sound too hard from the basic overview I remember seeing
    there is a point where the price exceeds the benefits
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Ron
    mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You can't do it with the 16t though. It's smaller than all the rest.

Low Rep Count
    Your better option would be to buy the WIFW that you want then just get a new front chain wheel in say a 33 or 34. This will end up giving you the same ratio and a chainwheel from Home Brewed (see ISuckAtRiding's thread) for about $35 in a variety of colors, guaranteed to be round and light. You can even get a ti version of it for a little bit more!

smell the saddle...
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    Your better option would be to buy the WIFW that you want then just get a new front chain wheel in say a 33 or 34. This will end up giving you the same ratio and a chainwheel from Home Brewed (see ISuckAtRiding's thread) for about $35 in a variety of colors, guaranteed to be round and light. You can even get a ti version of it for a little bit more!
    Stew - this is a good point, you can go with the 18t trials and go up higher in the front. I think you told me you were running 16/34? If so, you can go up to 38 with the 18T. Salsa runs even spaced chainrings up to 48T (I have a 48 & 38).

I think Ron pointing to other thread demonstrates it can be done at the expense of buying 2 FWs. Which is probably not practical in most cases.

Hairshirt Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by stumonky
    Stew - this is a good point, you can go with the 18t trials and go up higher in the front. I think you told me you were running 16/34? If so, you can go up to 38 with the 18T. Salsa runs even spaced chainrings up to 48T (I have a 48 & 38).

I think Ron pointing to other thread demonstrates it can be done at the expense of buying 2 FWs. Which is probably not practical in most cases.
    Changing the ratio via the chain ring is a good option also, but.....

You don't need two buy two freewheels. You can buy just the cog body and swap the driver and bearing or the cog body with the bearing and swap the driver.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    the Trials innards only fit in 17-22T drivers so it's a moot point. the OP wants a "Trials" 16T freewheel.

smell the saddle...
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20
    the Trials innards only fit in 17-22T drivers so it's a moot point. the OP wants a "Trials" 16T freewheel.
    I'm sure he's opt for the 17T over 18T if he wanted the 72poe. If the extra parts aren't much more in price that is, that might save him from increasing too high in the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz
    You don't need two buy two freewheels. You can buy just the cog body and swap the driver and bearing or the cog body with the bearing and swap the driver.
    Where do you find the spare internal parts? Didn't see them on WI site.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    I'm sure he's opt for the 17T over 18T if he wanted the 72poe. If the extra parts aren't much more in price that is, that might save him from increasing too high in the front.
    considering how overpriced their freewheels are, i'm sure it's not a cheap mod to make a 17T Trials freewheel. so it begs the question; is it worth the big bucks to make a 17T trials, when you can just buy a 18T off the shelf? what's 1 tooth?

Hairshirt Rider
    Where do you find the spare internal parts? Didn't see them on WI site.
    I called them.

smell the saddle...
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20
    considering how overpriced their freewheels are, i'm sure it's not a cheap mod to make a 17T Trials freewheel. so it begs the question; is it worth the big bucks to make a 17T trials, when you can just buy a 18T off the shelf? what's 1 tooth?
    I'm sure that's pretty much what he's going to do. I was referencing that option hypothetically. Unless of course the internal parts Loudpawlz is checking into is fairly inexpensive (which I doubt).

I have (2) 16Ts with the 36poe, no issues at all really. Iím sure the trials is better but I am already running a 48T on one bike and 38T on the other, I canít see stepping up to even 17T with for the internal swap-a-roo and having to go even higher in my chainring.

SSOD
    Hey thanks for all the responses on this issue. Mainly just wanted to know if this was feasible and I think you guys nailed it. I don't mind purchasing several chainrings to run upfront if necessary to get the correct ratios just was curious because current setup if with a 16t, and I already have a 32,34,36 chainrings to run pending the terrain. Thanks Stu I'll check out the Surly's chainrings.

Now this brings up another question that I'm willing to bet has been discussed here somewhere but do the mechanics of increasing the front chainring, while keeping a constant cog ratio of front to rear, change the "work" required to get the same amount of output? I've read enough of these forums to know there are some engineers out there who can explain this for me, Thanks.

smell the saddle...
    I can't answer the second part (I bet wddamf would know). But, you don't need to go and purchase a Surly chainring, just get whatever. I've ran junk to Blackspire to Crank Brothers. They are all about the same.

Members who have read this thread: 0