Changing cog size- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Changing cog size

Wanting to move from a 32-20 to 32-18 setup. What will I need to do to the chain to allow the smaller cog? Any other considerations?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2011
    if you're stepping down, then you may be able to get away by just using your tensioner. If you're maxing on your your tensioner's range, then you'll need to take off a link. Can you give us more info on what bike, tensioner type etc.?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jammo View Post
    Wanting to move from a 32-20 to 32-18 setup. What will I need to do to the chain to allow the smaller cog? Any other considerations?
    Thanks
    I didn't do anything for my set up. I just swapped the 20t for an 18t, jumped on and rode.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The sliders on my Rockhopper take me from 32/20 to 32/17.

mtbr member
    what frame do you have? if you have a lot of room to move the axle position, you might be able to take out a link. but if you do that and decide in the near future that you want your 20t back on there, you will need to somehow add a link to your chain or put a longer chain back on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    [QUOTE=goldenaustin;9846052]if you're stepping down, then you may be able to get away by just using your tensioner. If you're maxing on your your tensioner's range, then you'll need to take off a link. Can you give us more info on what bike, tensioner type etc.?[/QUOTE

Trek Marlin SS. I don't have a chain tensioner, it's just built in to the frame with sliding bolts.
    Tensioner bolts are currently about halfway back on the 20T and there is some chain slap.

mtbr member
    You may need a http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001CN...948267-9376604 half-link.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The frame is a Trek Marlin SS. I don't have a chain tensioner, it's just built in to the frame with sliding bolts.
    Tensioner bolts are currently about halfway back on the 20T and there is some chain slap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just try it, if it doesn't work, take a link out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    If it were me I would go with bigger ring and keep the 20 tooth cog because the system will run smoother. You could use a 35/20 because it is a very similar ratio to the 32/18. You will need to add some links or slide your wheel forward.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by febikes View Post
    If it were me I would go with bigger ring and keep the 20 tooth cog because the system will run smoother. You could use a 35/20 because it is a very similar ratio to the 32/18. You will need to add some links or slide your wheel forward.
    He'll be just fine with 32x18. Why spend extra on a chainring, lessen clearance, with virtually no benefits?

mtbr member
    Do you already have smaller cog or bigger chainring? If you don't want to deal with shortening the chain, try to fit 18t cog. If it doesn't fit I would get a bigger chainring.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    You could just buy another chain to suit the 18T cog. It'd be cheaper than buying a whole new chainring i'd reckon.

Ahhh the pain....
    A 1 tooth change in the cog will move the axle about 1/8"...so going from 20 to 18 w/o changing anything else (chainring, chain), will move the axle back about 1/4". Obviously, if your chain is already super loose (chainslap), then it's gonna move more to properly tension it.

Members who have read this thread: 0