Chameleon Question?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Chameleon Question?

Hey Guys...

I know this may be a stupid question, but bear with me as this is my first SS bike. I can't help but look at the rear stays on this bike and not believe the rear wheel is going to move when I really start to put the hammer down on the pedals. I have seen the "Spot" And "Surly" devices but they don't seem like they will fit this application. What am I missing? Or am I wrong and it will stay put?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I would imagine if your axle ends are tightened down enough it shouldn't move. Only one way to find out................

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontRanger
    I would imagine if your axle ends are tightened down enough it shouldn't move. Only one way to find out................
    I hear ya!

The f#$%^&* weather here in Michigan has not gotten above 10 the past 3 days and with the wind it just makes it almost impossible. I am not afraid of the cold either, but this is a joke. I guess I was wondering if the devices I mentioned above fit. The "Rocket" looking device that "Spot" makes or the "Surly" device? I just can't picture how that those things fit on these stays of this particular bike. I guess this is what you do when you can't ride. You envision issues that have not even come up yet ;-)

Talk about damn cabin fever! Dogs don't even want to go out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Whackmaster
    I hear ya!

The f#$%^&* weather here in Michigan has not gotten above 10 the past 3 days and with the wind it just makes it almost impossible. I am not afraid of the cold either, but this is a joke. I guess I was wondering if the devices I mentioned above fit. The "Rocket" looking device that "Spot" makes or the "Surly" device? I just can't picture how that those things fit on these stays of this particular bike. I guess this is what you do when you can't ride. You envision issues that have not even come up yet ;-)

The rocket or tugnuts should work fine, but you won't need them if it doesn't slide. You are not gonna need that chainstay protector either.

mtbr member
    Thought the same thing when I built my SS Chameleon out. After the first tightening...never needed it again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by miSSfit
    The rocket or tugnuts should work fine, but you won't need them if it doesn't slide. You are not gonna need that chainstay protector either.
    Thanks!

It's all new to me. I will tear the protector off ;-) I plan on doing a ride tomorrow for the first time with this bike. A pretty fast 10 mile singletrack. I will make sure its tight and just ride the bike. After I take those silly pedals off that are in the pic. I am sure I am going to upgrade this bike after I get some of this SS stuff figured out.

Thanks again for the input guys!

mtbr member
    I use a quick-release and a Surly tuggnut and it is great. However, with your bolt-on axle you may not need one. Just ride it and see.

mtbr member
    UPGRADE??? Sheesh seems pretty nice to me already. Is that an ENO freewheel I see? Yes, by all means upgrade that and sell me that dog for cheeeeep;-)

mtbr member
    I hear ya!

I hear ya man. Had our fair share of unrideable days here in CO as well. If that is an ENO hub you should have no issues. I have an eccentric ENO and the only time it slipped was because I didn't tighten it enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by msiddens
    UPGRADE??? Sheesh seems pretty nice to me already. Is that an ENO freewheel I see? Yes, by all means upgrade that and sell me that dog for cheeeeep;-)
    Not sure what "ENO" means. It is a "White" rear setup. I am going to upgrade the stem and headset right away. I want to put a King on it with a Thomson stem. I have no idea if the LX crank is going to work, but time will tell. I have XTR on my Blur and there is a real diffrence in how much better that stuff is than anything else I have used, but I don't know if that type of comparison carries over onto this singlespeed stuff or not? Like I said I am a SS virgin and appreciate all your guys input. Here is a shot of the full bike if any one is interested.

Thanks again!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Not sure what "ENO" means. It is a "White" rear setup. I am going to upgrade the stem and headset right away. I want to put a King on it with a Thomson stem. I have no idea if the LX crank is going to work, but time will tell. I have XTR on my Blur and there is a real diffrence in how much better that stuff is than anything else I have used, but I don't know if that type of comparison carries over onto this singlespeed stuff or not? Like I said I am a SS virgin and appreciate all your guys input. Here is a shot of the full bike if any one is interested.

Thanks again!
    Beautiful bike man. Two things though. If it is a 2003 LX crank it is the same thing as and XT crank with a different finish. Should be plenty stiff. Second, you have no need for the chain stay protector.........you can lose it now......it is ok.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontRanger
    Beautiful bike man. Two things though. If it is a 2003 LX crank it is the same thing as and XT crank with a different finish. Should be plenty stiff. Second, you have no need for the chain stay protector.........you can lose it now......it is ok.
    Thanks!

It's off and back in the junk box. As time goes on maybe I will not look so mentally challenged. ;-)

mtbr member
    Thanks!

It's off and back in the junk box. As time goes on maybe I will not look so mentally challenged. ;-)
    It's all good. My Chameleon is currently geared but is begging to be run SS. My current SS has an 80mm fork but I know that it would so much more fun on my chameleon with the Talas. Soon enough.............

mtbr member

Thanks again!
    Hi Whackmaster, what size is your Chameleon? I just ordered a polished medium Chameleon as well and my LBS had already called me up to pick it up. I can't wait to see it standing along in my Santa Cruz stable...
    Sweet bike just like my dream...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn
    Hi Whackmaster, what size is your Chameleon? I just ordered a polished medium Chameleon as well and my LBS had already called me up to pick it up. I can't wait to see it standing along in my Santa Cruz stable...
    Sweet bike just like my dream...
    It's a LARGE.

My Blur is a medium. Seems like the Santa Cruz sizing is a little strange. I am 6ft tall with a 32" inseam Levi's. I know that is sort of off the cuff sizing but I think I could ride a medium or large on the SS platform (Chameleon). More of a stem adjustment and seat post height due to the steep toptube on this frame. I will post more after I get some miles on this bike.

mtbr member
    It's a LARGE.

My Blur is a medium. Seems like the Santa Cruz sizing is a little strange. I am 6ft tall with a 32" inseam Levi's. I know that is sort of off the cuff sizing but I think I could ride a medium or large on the SS platform (Chameleon). More of a stem adjustment and seat post height due to the steep toptube on this frame. I will post more after I get some miles on this bike.
    Thanks! I can now figure out how does a medium size will looks like...By the way, I am 5'8" tall only so the medium Chameleon should be jsut fine with me using a 100 or 110mm stem...
    I can't wait to build mine too...Good luck on your sweet ride and have fun...

Derailleurs owned: 0
    A Tuggnut or Spot Rocket will work better with rear wheel further forward. Remove a link if the gearing seems just right or swapping to a larger freewheel would do it too. Is that 32:16 right now?

looks like 32:18... good place to start.

It's a LARGE.

Last edited by c0jones; 01-18-2005 at 08:56 PM. Reason: counted freewheel teeth...