Chameleon?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Chameleon?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Chameleon?

Will the SC chameleon make a good 90% XC trail riding bike w/ some very light FR/urban every now and then. It would have a Marz EXR--How would the geometry react (not that I know anything about how geometry affects things). FWiW I'm light at 5'9" 155lbs. and am currently riding an old GF aquila I converted. The frame is getting old and the flexiness is worrying me. Been looking to get dedicated SS and trying to decide. Also heard on here the the KM fork works good on the SC. Can anyone post pics of there build and provide advice/experience. Sorry for the long post.

Thanks, DoubleD

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    Yes to all of your questions. A Z1 works best in my experience, but makes for a pretty slack head angle. Fork choices are pretty much endless. For pics, there's a 'post your lizards' thread in the Santa Cruz forum that's mostly SSers. Not too many pics, but some good ones. The 'hardtail' collective on the DH/FR forumhas a few too.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

Keep on Rockin...

Smile OK Norway's Bravest Son...

Quote Originally Posted by SDizzle
    Yes to all of your questions. A Z1 works best in my experience, but makes for a pretty slack head angle. Fork choices are pretty much endless. For pics, there's a 'post your lizards' thread in the Santa Cruz forum that's mostly SSers. Not too many pics, but some good ones. The 'hardtail' collective on the DH/FR forumhas a few too.
    I'm in the market for a Chameleon and see they've got "shortish" chainstays. the last bike I had with 16.5" chainstays caused the front derailure's back inside tip to rub on chubby tires when in granny. Any of this on the Chameleon?

BTW I do a solo guitar act and love to play that Zevon tune.

Mike

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    He was a legend, and didn't get raped too badly by the popular press at his time of dying, which is nice. ("Oooohh! He's dead now, and that reminds me, he sure was good.")

Chameleons have short chainstays, but mine doesn't have a derailleur, and doesn't need one! I don't actually think they're that short, but they're adjustable even when gearied by a funny proprietary drop-out type thing, if that answers your question.

Roll on, Roland. And build your Lizard up SS--it will love you more for it.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

Keep on Rockin...

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by SDizzle
    He was a legend, and didn't get raped too badly by the popular press at his time of dying, which is nice. ("Oooohh! He's dead now, and that reminds me, he sure was good.")

Chameleons have short chainstays, but mine doesn't have a derailleur, and doesn't need one! I don't actually think they're that short, but they're adjustable even when gearied by a funny proprietary drop-out type thing, if that answers your question.

Roll on, Roland. And build your Lizard up SS--it will love you more for it.

Thanks for the info.

SS...I'm already on a Surly 1x1 w/ a 32x18. I'm planning on building up the Chameleon as a heavier, tough bike (to replace my Heckler) and I don't know if my legs could haul it around as a SS. ( I would if I could though.)

Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A chameleon needs at least 4 inches IMO.
    I'm running a Z3 temporarily and I've had a Kona P2 (head angle way too steep!)
    The front tends to dig in on switchbacks so I'd love to get my hands on something close to the recommended 5"
    The bike is awesome but if I must be critical it is way too stiff for extended XC outings

SSAfrica

Less yappin, more Brappin

Good job! get a melon!

I have a 2003 chameleon set up as a single speed now. it was 9 speed geared when the weather was sh#t and going uphill with a bike full of mud sucked. It swaps from single speed to geared bike in about 15 minutes. its just so damn simple. the frame is really built for toughness, and singlespeeding is a pleasure. the frame does not flex, even under "throw down" loads. i gots a marzocchi z1 qr20. about 5 inches travel, i had a 3 inch z-3 for a little while, but the bike steered like poop, and it was hard to get the front end up and it just felt lame. it rides fast downhill, and rides like a small dh/slalom bike. handles nice and snappy, real easy to get it to flow. jumping, trials, climbing, crising, it will do it all. its my only mtb now. i used to have two or three at a time. this just works for everything. get one and enjoy.

geoffss
    Last edited by geoffss; 03-22-2004 at 08:11 PM. Reason: new picture